• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP17: An Electrifying Rage!

What did they use as background music for the Team Rocket's motto?

Good episode I guess.

What's this, Clemont in front with the others trailing behind? What sorcery is this. Omg the way he hopped over to them was so cute. I really liked how he brought up that they'd already seen Moltres with Trevor during his legendary bird explanation. Wtf, Zapdos appears already? Well that was quick. I thought it would be at least halfway through the episode before it showed up. Damn I love energetic Clemont. Wish he'd be like this more often. Ya know, except for almost being killed by trees.

Omg, that Stan dude was so creepy. Seriously, his expression was so terrifying. I love how he noted the irony of a medical assistant needing medical help. Am I the only one who thought Braixen shooting her twig out of her tail into her hand was weird as hell. Why couldn't she just grab it like she normally does?

Good thing Hawlucha sprung into action to save Noibat from those rocks, since the rest of the crew just decided to stand there like idiots and gasp in terror. And what a surprise, the group gets separated. Cuz it's not like that hasn't been done enough this series (And in general, but still).

Of course Zapdos conveniently decided to land right when Ash and co. are coming out of the cave. Lol, TR got zapped.

Talonflame did pretty well against Zapdos imo. I was surprised he survived one hit. Wish he would have landed at least one hit, but I guess he already had his time to shine with Moltres. I love how
Hawlucha went to attack on his own. Nice to see Noibat worry as he took of and Hawluha respond to him. Damn, Hawlucha kicked Zapdos to ground. Oh wait, it was just a fake out. Lol. Nice to see Noibat evolve to save Hawlucha from falling to death, though after Fletchinder's rescue evolution, this one was a bit underwhelming by comparison imo. But damn Noivern is huge. And too bad poor Bonnie missed yet another evolution.

I like how Ash used his Pokedex to look up Boomburst after Noivern used it. I'm also really glad Noivern learned Boomburt instead of a dragon-type move. Ash using the rocks and Noivern's soundwaves to battle Zapos was really interesting and creative. And I'm really glad Ash commanded Noivern to use Acrobatics to free Zapos from TR's trap. In most evolution+new move episodes, the newly evolved mon just spams their new move throughout the rest of the episode, so I'm glad we didn't just see Boomburst from Noivern. Ok, I was talking about how big Noivern was, but holy cow Zapdos looks small. He and Noivern looked to be almost the same size. That's creepy. But nice fist bump between Hawluha and Noivern.

Zapdos's addition to the fireworks was really pretty. But, I really feel bad for Clemont. He was the one who wanted to see Zapdos the most, but only got a short glimpse of him at the beginning and end of the episode. He deserved more in my opinion. Also, the fact that Ash had the medicine yet he spent so much time having to fight Zapos and everything really bothered me. I get that the chances of Ash being too late and the little girl getting worse were slim to none, but that thought was in the back of my mind throughout the entire fight with Zapdos. It would have been better if Bonnie and the others had it so they could just deliver it and then be done with it, and Ash could just focus on getting out of the cave and meeting back up with them without being on a time crunch. But overall. I guess this episode was okay. Could have done without the unnecessary TR, Stan, and group separation, but overall nice. I definitely prefer Noibat to its rather unappealing evolution, but it's nice to see Ash have a "fully evolved" team for once. 7.5/10 for me.

Last edited:
What did they use as background music for the Team Rocket's motto?
It was the distorted version of Rocket-Dan Danka, as in the Japanese version. XY&Z (during Noibat's evolution and battle with Zapdos) wasn't replaced by anything special.

TPCI actually kept a fair chunk of Japanese music in this episode, which is nice (although it's all stuff they usually keep). Hawlucha vs. Zapdos was still a highlight, and as mentioned it's cool that Ash finally has a fully evolved team. And I think Noivern keeps its Japanese voice?

I love the dub, but I have to admit that Clemont's "step on the gas" line really can strain one's cheesiness tolerance. Also, as this is Lisa Ortiz's first dub episode as VD, it'll be a little while before a definable directing style can be identified. Everyone still sounded good, regardless. Although Zapdos in the eyecatch sounded hilarious just going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!" Oh, and Zapdos's theme in this dub episode is pretty cool, as was that piece playing over both of those chase scenes before Noibat evolved. And so too was the piece playing ove Noivern's battle against Zapdos. Ed Goldfarb has for once properly scored action scenes.

Team Rocket should take some Kanto Legendary Bird-catching lessons from Lawrence III. And now Ash has a team of fully-evolved Pokemon, except Pikachu and Hawlucha. Too bad that festival got reduced to a simple denouement. Still, it was a good episode, and it broke the pattern of bore-fests that happened the last few weeks.

I like this episode and since Lisa is our new VD, It'll be awhile before we see any real change cuz honestly, it still feels like as if Theresa Bucheister is still directing things here. I really would've liked this more if the Dub had used their Stand Tall theme because this episode I think would've been better with it. So, from what I'm hearing Noivern keeps it's JP voice here and I have to say, it sounds how I would expect it to be. All in all, a good episode and can't wait for the Master class!

I actually loved this episode; the highlight was definitely Hawlucha's battle with Zapdos and then of course Noivern's evolution and then it's fight with Zapdos. I really loved the connection between Noivern and Hawlucha, they really have a great friendship!

Now in my opinion from the beginning of the episode to the end I felt it had a different vibe to it which turned out to be great actually and I didn't know this would be the new VD's first episode.

Plus there was just something so fascinating about Ash in this episode but I can't put my finger on it but I loved watching him in this episode. I cheered when TR blasted off and I loved the ending where Noivern is just so chill in that tree.

Non-bias rating: 8/10
Bias rating (because I love the episodes when it focuses more on Ash in the episode): 10/10 :D

Last edited:
I actually loved this episode; the highlight was definitely Hawlucha's battle with Zapdos and then of course Noivern's evolution and then it's fight with Zapdos. I really loved the connection between Noivern and Hawlucha, they really have a great friendship!

Now in my opinion from the beginning of the episode to the end I felt it had a different vibe to it which turned out to be great actually and I didn't know this would be the new VA's first episode.

Plus there was just something so fascinating about Ash in this episode but I can't put my finger on it but I loved watching him in this episode. I cheered when TR blasted off and I loved the ending where Noivern is just so chill in that tree.

Non-bias rating: 8/10
Bias rating (because I love the episodes when it focuses more on Ash in the episode): 10/10 :D
Just letting you know, it's Voice director/VD 1st episode and definitely was getting the vibe of newness here.

This was a Pokemon episode just as it should be! Very good!

First, it was pretty intense, action-packed and "heroic" (if we might call it like that). Plus, the episode focussed on Ash alone and gave him another chance to shine. So far, this has always been the recipe for great episodes. I, for one, could thus identify with Ash and the plot much better this time because there were no such unnecessary or trivial elements like Pokemon Performances or "Let's find CoD's Pokemon". Great job, Ash, very intense

Also, I liked the choice of music and sound effects. They added to the intense atmosphere I mentioned above and fitted perfectly.

Last but not least, we got a really cool and dramatic evolution. While Noivern might not win the first prize in a beauty contest, I think its design is really intimidating and kind of reminds me of a strong dinosaur. And although Ash's team is now a bit unbalanced due to the focus on flying-types, I'm still glad he's got this Pokemon on his now fully evolved team.

To sum it up, a very good episode this week and it shows we need those dramatic Ash-episodes much more often!!

It could just be placebo but I did notice that Ash's VA had a better performance this week. Could have been a good week for her or it could be a good start for Lisa Ortiz's direction.

It could just be placebo but I did notice that Ash's VA had a better performance this week. Could have been a good week for her or it could be a good start for Lisa Ortiz's direction.

Glad I'm not the only one, feels.like she was phoning it in for a while now.....started to get me worried concerning ashs depression arc, he and Serenas argument.

Glad I'm not the only one, feels.like she was phoning it in for a while now.....started to get me worried concerning ashs depression arc, he and Serenas argument.

It was disappointing too because she was on a consistent increase of quality since she took over in season 9. Compare a Battle Frontier episode to a Battle Dimension episode to a Black and White episode and you'll definitely see an improvement. But since the XY series started it seemed like she, along with the rest of the cast, hadn't been as good performance-wise. Hopefully Lisa Ortiz pulls things together soon.

A pretty great episode in my eyes. The episode showcases the legendary Pokémon Zapdos, Noibat's strong bond with Hawlucha and Noibat's evolution to Noivern. And of course, Clemont being athletic and leading the group. "What? :eek:"

No Gourgeist! *frowns* :(

Ash using his Flying-type Pokémon to distract Zapdos was a good strategy. I really appreciated that. And Noibat flying off to save Hawlucha and evolving was nice too. Though, to be honest, I had the belief that Noibat would evolve while fighting Zapdos... but guess not.

To be frank, I usually do not like the 'cave episodes' where Ash is separated from the rest of the group and gets the spotlight for the most of the episode. (I believe in equal character development!) But, since this episode necessarily focused on Ash's Noibat Noivern, I believe I would let it pass in my good books. 10/10 from my side.

Actually ended up a pretty badass episode, though unless Zapdos made the cave landslide, why did no one else break the rocks?

why could that Ferrathorn bot fly?

Would've liked a random Thunderous to turn up, then he and Zapdos fight it out for kind of the Thunder, even if it hadn't made sense.

Also, annoyed Ash hasn't mentioned the Zapdos he has seen.

In the end though, it was a nice good episode. The medicine part was unneeded though, could've just been a sign saying "detour to whatever City" then they go through. Stan was a plot device. Loled at such as simple name, though.

I wish the dub would get the rights to use the instrumentals of the Japanese themes like DoriDori and XY&Z or even the vocal versions. Their own synthesizer music ruins the moods of the scenes, especially when Onbat and Eievui evolved... I highly doubt Japanese music is gonna scar the kiddies for life... *Rolls eyes*

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom