• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP20: Performing a Pathway to the Future!

Not only did she get all the way to this point, an offer to be taught by someone like Palermo is a massive opportunity and I'm personally pleased that they've kept this open.

I'm thinking that's going to be how Serena will leave at the end of this saga.

Well the replacement music is one of the most obvious, most glaring, most distracting changes the show makes . Of course people are going to talk about it.

But if it makes you feel any better the voice acting and scripts are also pretty shit as well.

And it's a recurring thing that has been happening since forever and anyone with common sense would think that people wouldn't be complaining endlessly about it after 20 freaking years. Yeah, they replace music. It sucks. We get it.

Of course people are allowed to share their thoughts and I'm not here saying what anyone should or should not post in these threads, but I can understand why a person would be tired of reading these kind of comments.

Music replacement is a bigger problem than the voice acting and the script changes, in my opinion, because the material most countries get to dub is the English dub. I mean, other dubs around the world may "correct" bad voice acting and bad scripts, but they cannot change the background music, so that is a problem that has a bigger dimension than the other ones.

And even though we've been having replacement music for many years, it is always sad when I watch a scene in the Japanese version and I think that that scene is excellent music wise and I hope that it can be carried to the Portuguese version, and then they change it. I can understand that maybe they don't have the rights to use certain background music, but in the case of this episode we know that they can use Team Rocket's Team Song BGM and yet they replaced it today with that Jessie's showcases theme. That Jessie's theme is not an awful piece of BGM, the problem with it is that it has a "goofy" aura that really doesn't fit Jessie's performances when she is doing things well - that piece of BGM was used during Jessie's winning performance some episodes ago! It doesn't really allow us to take her performances seriously, which we sometimes have to.
The saddest example for me was last episode, in which Jessie's performance against Nini was truly a masterpiece music-wise (particularly before that last ultimate Shadow Ball), but then it got changed and got, in my opinion, unmemorable.

I don't really think that all dub music is bad, I can also admit that we've been getting more "acceptable" BGM during Kalos, but when we watch some scenes in Japanese that are really extremely good music wise and we seen it get replaced by some bland BGM it is just disappointing. And it is more disappointing when we know that they can use the original BGM (because we have heard it before), but choose not to.

And I have to disagree when people say that Ed Goldfarb is better than Shinki Miyazaki. I shouldn't need to defend him, his works throughout the years speak for themselves, and I can even say that he is comparable to the great American composers that were mentioned here before. And comparing dub music to Japanese music, just the fact that Japanese is (or seems to be) played by live instruments is incomparable to apparently synthesizer music.

Mikuri said:
Of course people are allowed to share their thoughts and I'm not here saying what anyone should or should not post in these threads, but I can understand why a person would be tired of reading these kind of comments.

Well now imagine how tired fans of the Japanese version are of seeing TPCI ruin perfectly good scenes, over and over again, for 20 freaking years!

I mean if people don't care about the music one way or the other then fine. Not everyone pays attention to the same things. But there's obviously a group of people who do care very much, and to see some people dismiss their on-topic complaints (or worse, openly mock them for it) is just shitty message board etiquette.

Flaming and Baiting
But there's obviously a group of people who do care very much, and to see some people dismiss their on-topic complaints (or worse, openly mock them for it) is just shitty message board etiquette.

Then explain why JP version fans like you get to dismiss (or worse, openly mock) complaints toward the JP version and compliments for the dub, when dub fans like me get in trouble for doing the exact same thing. Being a fan of the JP version doesn't entitle you to persecute anyone or anything, and neither does being a dub fan.

I can even say that he is comparable to the great American composers that were mentioned here before.

I'll give you that the best of Miyazaki's works are comparable to them. But I'd never, ever say they're better.

Last edited:
By the way, how is it that Serena suffered a wrist injury, but Jessie's kneecaps are perfectly fine after falling from a similar height? Then again, all that blasting off could've helped.

I'm bummed that after this episode we won't see Jessie's performance disguise any more (I'm assuming anyways, they could always bring it back but it's doubtful). It was probably my favorite look for her from any series.

I really liked Jessie in this episode. Then again, Jesse is my favorite of TR, so...Anyway. Serena losing to Aria felt right. She's not ready for Kalos Queen yet. Think about May and Dawn. They worked their asses off to get to the Grand Festival and neither won, because they still had a ways to go. Serena is the same way. She may have worked incredibly hard to get where she is, but she just needs a little more to become Kalos Queen, like Palermo said.

So, the Master Class ends, and Serena loses. Though I kinda feel Serena should have won. I felt her performance was better than Aria's (no harsh feelings, Aria! I still love you :love:) But then, in the Pokémon anime, no main character ever wins their major tournament, so it was kinda expected.

Jessie not getting mad upon losing in the Semi Finals. Wow, she sure has some mature side to her now! Guess, James and Meowth were anxious over no real reason.

Then Serena's rivals leave, with a promise to prepare for Kalos Queen from the scratch. Okay, let's see about that. Of course, Miette, tease Serena while you can ;) because...

Serena's kiss to Ash is up and coming...

I don’t get it. I really don’t get it. How could this episode be so bad? Let’s start off with the semi-finals. They weren’t good. Serena, Shauna, and though i hate to say it, even Jessie’s performances weren’t exactly the most visually pleasing. Then we got Serena injuring her wrist, which I think is pretty dumb considering it didn’t mean anything in the end and was pointless.

Now the finals, oh the finals. Garbage. It’s garbage because Serena’s performance was Meh, but Aria's performance was worse. I thought most part of Aria performance didn't shown or skip because focused more shown on others reaction. However, Aria still won. What’s worse isn’t that Serena barely lost, it’s the fact that she actually lost buy a lot.

The rest of the episode isn’t anything to write home about either. Serena just gets an offer to get taught by Palermo, but declines. That’s about it. If there’s anything I liked about this episode, it was the talk Serena had with Ash before giving Palermo her answer. That’s it. sigh look I wanted this arc to be good, or good enough, but it just wasn’t. Well it’s over. That’s just Awful.

Rating:1.5/10(Awful)

Back
Top Bottom