• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP21: A Keeper for Keeps?!

Another great episode for Bonnie. I love that they actually made an episode focusing on her running gag.

Damn, what a nightmare. Though I actually do like how dream Clemont was going to leave the gym to Bonnie. Those little dolls were cute though. I wonder if Bonnie actually has those in her real room. Aw, Dedenne brushes his teeth with his tail. How cute. And wow, what's with all these easily smitten Buneary? What the hell Bonnie? You just had a nightmare about Clemont getting married and leaving you and you're already proposing again? Guess she though Lilia would say no. Honestly, now I'm wondering if Bonnie ever thought anyone would say yes.

I like how they showed off some of Clemont's inventions from previous episodes. Damn, Bonnie's fantasies are really weird...yet also hilarious. The heart aprons were so cheesy:p I love how Dedenne screamed after Bonnie's daydream as if he'd also seen it himself. I also find it funny that Clemont was supposedly an adult in Bonnie's dreams, yet he was still depicted as a child.

Bunnelby and Buneary were so cute together. Too bad Bunnelby isn't a ladies man. Lol, at Pancham and Chespin getting bashed after trying to flirt with Buneary. Though, I found that a bit weird since Pancham didn't seem infatuated with her at the start and even Chespin wasn't even acting that flirty. Now I wonder if they were just trying to help awkward Bunnelby. I love how she kept scooting over to Bunnelby. Ok, Bonnie's dreams are getting really creepy. Dedenne was wrong for shocking Lilia like that, but in a way I do like that he did it because Bonnie was so upset. Lol, Bunnelby looks like he's being forced on a date with Buneary. Normally I find it annoying with other trainers and their Pokemon, but I loved how Dedenne mimicked so many Bonnie's actions in this episode. Cool, how the bunnies sensed TR's trap...unfortunate that Bunnelby and Lilia still ended up falling in.

Ok, that Arbok thing...Bonnie is seriously weird. Once again, the rabbits are the only ones sensing oncoming danger. At least the Pokemon avoided the trap this time. Ok, I know this was supposed to be for humor, but Clemont definitely shouldn't have ignored Bonnie like that. I get that he was close to Lilia, but you'd think you'd want to save your little sister from being trapped in a hole before some stranger. Wow, the bandages had tracking devices. That's...actually really creative.

OMG Luxray not using Swift, what sorcery is this? Of course Bonnie would be standing at the edge of a cliff. Well, good thing that Aipom arm caught her. But of course now of all times would be when it decides to short circuit. And wow, Braixen using Fire Blast instead of Flamethrower.

Wow, Bunnelby, at least pretend to be sad over Buneary leaving. She was crying for pete's sake. Really, one missing screw and the arm blows up? And lol, after all this, I though Bonnie would cut back on the proposing, but I guess not. Well, it's not like she ever did it that much anyway. Oh well.

Anyway, very cute and funny episode. Could have done without TR, but overall nice. 8.5/10.

So apparently the Arbok fantasy remained in the English dub. Can we get our peeing statue scene in the Hoopa short back then TPCi? Cause i find that Arbok fantasy a lot more creepier then a statue peeing in someone's face. Oh wait the dub comes from good old hypocrite America where showing a penis in a kids show is evil but showing some kid wrapped up by an Arbok in a very disturbing style is perfectly fine. Such wonderful logic man. Also Lilia's voice sucked. It sounded way too old for someone like her. And apparently Cather Catcart didn't watch this episode before he wrote the script for it seeing as it was Bunnelby who had a band-aid on its ear and not Buneary. So far for double checking things i guess. I hope that other countries won't fall for that mistake.

So apparently the Arbok fantasy remained in the English dub. Can we get our peeing statue scene in the Hoopa short back then TPCi? Cause i find that Arbok fantasy a lot more creepier then a statue peeing in someone's face. Oh wait the dub comes from good old hypocrite America where showing a penis in a kids show is evil but showing some kid wrapped up by an Arbok in a very disturbing style is perfectly fine. Such wonderful logic man.

There are intricacies to the censors' rules. I don't claim to understand them all or agree with them all, but this particular example is one I do agree with. Clemont wasn't nude or doing anything remotely sexual in that fantasy of Bonnie's, which was why it wasn't cut. The statue giving Baraz a golden shower is a direct violation of many of their rules.

As for this episode, well, I'll just let this (8:24-8:30) sum up my thoughts on how its ending just ruined everything. Seriously, forget that meaningless lockpicking episode; THIS ONE was the worst episode of the whole saga and has joined the ranks of "The Kangaskhan Kid", "A Double Dilemma", the aforementioned lockpicking episode, and "Strategy Tomorrow - Comedy Tonight!" as being a hated episode of mine. It was a horrible experience that honestly makes me a bit upset that the dub didn't skip it, because it should have.

On another note, is it just me, or does Lilia sound like a mix between Mabel Pines and Kate Monster?

Also Lilia's voice sucked. It sounded way too old for someone like her. And apparently Cather Catcart didn't watch this episode before he wrote the script for it seeing as it was Bunnelby who had a band-aid on its ear and not Buneary. So far for double checking things i guess. I hope that other countries won't fall for that mistake.

I agree with this. The voice acting and dialogue/script in the dub are as underwhelming as usual for me, but then, Ryu has a point that this episode is so bad in general. They kept only 4 pieces of Japanese music, so standard TPCi XY-XYZ dub fare, I guess. Goldfarb's stuff was...meh...really bad at the start, okay at the end...he just doesn't have the talent Loeffler, Corallo, and Schuckett brought to the dub music. Still, like most, ideally I'd like Miyazaki's BGM kept 100%, but I think the dub's music score when it replaces the Japanese OST was more listenable before DuArt showed up. *shrugs*

I for one really liked and cared this episode and am surprised they kept the Arbok scene intact. What I also liked was Bonnie and the return of gen 4 with freakin Buneary! They used stand tall song near the end and loved it as it is since late Feb my fave theme song from the Dub so far. Also, sorry but since I am on vacation I won't be around too much, but will manage.

I guess I will probably be the minority on this episode when I say that I absolutely LOVED this episode!! I have seen the Japanese version of it first and I thought I would have to compare but the dub did a really great job this week, so all in all I am really happy about this episode; it was gold!!. :cool::D(y):love::cool:

Bonnie simply was what made this episode great; from her inner comments about Ash for being a blabber mouth (LOL) to those weird fantasies about Clemont getting married and Wow, that Arbok scene though, was just the best. I laughed so much when I saw the original and I laughed though the dub episode too. :LOL:

Dedenne was awesome and to shock Lilia because Bonnie was upset is friendship goals right there; also remember that Bonnie is a child so it's not out of character for a child to be jealous or worried that they might be losing someone important to them to someone else. I loved Clemont's reaction to what Dedenne did but I loved the Sass that Dedenne threw right back at him. that was LOL worthy. :LOL:

Loved seeing Pancham and Chespin, they are always a pleasure to watch and seeing Luxray is always a treat; it was nice to see a Buneary again but it made me think of Dawns Buneary and missing it's crush on Pikachu and it also had me missing Dawn herself. I loved hearing the dub opening theme at the end during the battle with team Rocket and Inkay is still cute as ever!! :love::love:

MVP of this episode was definitely Ash and I will tell you why (first let me say that Sarah Natochenny did a lot better, she added a little more passion to her performance and that is what I look for in a character like Ash): Like a good wing man (though I am 100% sure he wasn't trying to be one LOL cause this is Ash were talking about here) he was building up Clemont for Lilia at every chance he got which was why Bonnie's inner comments were so damn funny; and though I do not ship Ash and Clemont their friendship is just so precious and Ash just loves talking about his friend. #FriendshipGoals #Bromance ;)

I don't have anything at all bad to say about this episode because I liked it all especially the sibling moment between Bonnie and Clemont after he saved her from falling. Just like I always liked Brock's gag, I like Bonnie's too because it's funny and this series seriously needs more humor, so I take what I can get. I don't get why some of you dislike this episode be it the Dub or Japanese version but to each their own I guess. :D

Peace PokeFan's!! :cool:

I guess I will probably be the minority on this episode when I say that I absolutely LOVED this episode!! I have seen the Japanese version of it first and I thought I would have to compare but the dub did a really great job this week, so all in all I am really happy about this episode; it was gold!!. :cool::D(y):love::cool:

Bonnie simply was what made this episode great; from her inner comments about Ash for being a blabber mouth (LOL) to those weird fantasies about Clemont getting married and Wow, that Arbok scene though, was just the best. I laughed so much when I saw the original and I laughed though the dub episode too. :LOL:

Dedenne was awesome and to shock Lilia because Bonnie was upset is friendship goals right there; also remember that Bonnie is a child so it's not out of character for a child to be jealous or worried that they might be losing someone important to them to someone else. I loved Clemont's reaction to what Dedenne did but I loved the Sass that Dedenne threw right back at him. that was LOL worthy. :LOL:

Loved seeing Pancham and Chespin, they are always a pleasure to watch and seeing Luxray is always a treat; it was nice to see a Buneary again but it made me think of Dawns Buneary and missing it's crush on Pikachu and it also had me missing Dawn herself. I loved hearing the dub opening theme at the end during the battle with team Rocket and Inkay is still cute as ever!! :love::love:

MVP of this episode was definitely Ash and I will tell you why (first let me say that Sarah Natochenny did a lot better, she added a little more passion to her performance and that is what I look for in a character like Ash): Like a good wing man (though I am 100% sure he wasn't trying to be one LOL cause this is Ash were talking about here) he was building up Clemont for Lilia at every chance he got which was why Bonnie's inner comments were so damn funny; and though I do not ship Ash and Clemont their friendship is just so precious and Ash just loves talking about his friend. #FriendshipGoals #Bromance ;)

I don't have anything at all bad to say about this episode because I liked it all especially the sibling moment between Bonnie and Clemont after he saved her from falling. Just like I always liked Brock's gag, I like Bonnie's too because it's funny and this series seriously needs more humor, so I take what I can get. I don't get why some of you dislike this episode be it the Dub or Japanese version but to each their own I guess. :D

Peace PokeFan's!! :cool:
Same here! Again I liked this EP cuz of the comedy and in the end this was a fun filler and can't wait for next week's one.

It seems I'm the third in line to say this was a great episode. It was mainly due to the clever and entertaining plot that I really enjoyed this week's episode.

So far, Bonnie's goal has been to find a wife for her brother and now that dream is about to come true. Very cleverly written, I really iked that idea! Also, Bonnie's, Chespin's and Pancham's jealousy and especially their facial expressions during the first part of the episode were hilarious :D
The second part unfortunately turned out to be a bit generic because it was mainly our heroes fighting TRio and making them blast off once again. (It took them surprisingly long to do so, though)

However, there's one aspect I'd really like to talk about in particular: I agree the Arbok scene totally came out of nowhere and was both disturbing and weird, but I'd say there was another scene that was at least equally disturbing. When Clemont presented his latest invention to track down TRio, he said he had placed transmitters inside the bandages. It was only one short scene but, hell, how creepy is that?? Considering Clemont could not have predicted something like that might happen, I can't help but wonder why he would do that?? Either, it's a very uncreative way to find TRio (which makes no sense to me because the writers proved to be able to write clever episodes) or Clemont was planning to secretly stalk Lilia. In times when everybody is talking about mass surveillance by government agencies, that is what I call really disturbing!

Still, a great and funny episode.

MVP of this episode was definitely Ash and I will tell you why (first let me say that Sarah Natochenny did a lot better, she added a little more passion to her performance and that is what I look for in a character like Ash):

Sarah Natochenny has the distinct monotone delivery of her usual performance as Ash to me in this episode. *shrugs*

It's voice acting like hers that is why I can't get into the dub like I used to, tbh. To each their own, but I'm not hearing any of that.

Sarah Natochenny has the distinct monotone delivery of her usual performance as Ash to me in this episode. *shrugs*

It's voice acting like hers that is why I can't get into the dub like I used to, tbh. To each their own, but I'm not hearing any of that.

I'm not saying I like her as the one voicing Ash, I just was stating she did better this time around. Veronica Taylor to me will always be the best Ash for the Dub.

I'm not saying I like her as the one voicing Ash, I just was stating she did better this time around. Veronica Taylor to me will always be the best Ash for the Dub.

That's fine, but even for Sarah, I think she's done better than this before. Same on Veronica, though, I'm honestly more of a fan of Rica these days.

That's fine, but even for Sarah, I think she's done better than this before. Same on Veronica, though, I'm honestly more of a fan of Rica these days.

Yes Sarah has, in DP and BW; as for Ash's Japanese Voice actress, she does a wonderful job.
As for the dub I do wish they would bring Veronica Taylor back for Ash though.

I thought this'd be a waste of time filler but it wound up being super fun. Loled at Bonnie
actually not being shut down at someone "taking care of him" at which point I suppose we learn she has a big brother complex and doesn't want anyone but herself to look after him and was jealous as hell. Your own fault Bonnie, what did you expect when you always do it! someone's gonna want a genius- gym leader eventually ;)

though the ending of trying again annoyed me, guess Bonnie learned nothing, still suppose it now ends with that Bonnie deep down... has feelings for her brother.

Loled hard at Arbok.

Also liked how Dedenne caught on, it's a bit like when Digimon use human emoitions for power etc and of course that doesn't bode well for the good guys at times etc.

The biggest question however, is why the girl wasn't... freaked out that he had put a tracking device on her... and is the net is that easy to break, do it from the start... also a blunder on Team Rocket, your nets are shit!

oh and a rare comment on music, the track on the Rocket motto was pretty bad ass... but I don't think it fit the bumbling idiot Rocket at all. Maybe the gen 5 one.

Last edited:
I'm half convinced to watch this just for that Arbok scene. I was so sure they'd cut it from the dub...

So let me get this straight: Someone FINALLY says yes to Bonnie's running gag...and she hates her for it? :confused:

Also, if she'd had a nightmare about Clemont getting married, why do still do it? Has this entire running gag been about trolling her big bro and being a little bitch all along? :cautious:

And then...dat ending :mad:

Sorry Bonnie, but it's over between us. I loved ya to start with, but ever since the title change you've just been a brat much of the time. This is the straw that broke the Camerupt's back :(

I swear, did the writers just forget they had multiple storylines that required their attention when the saga changed names?

I'm half convinced to watch this just for that Arbok scene. I was so sure they'd cut it from the dub...

No, TPCi just confused Bunnelby for Buneary and told Pokemon not to dodge when being attacked, that's all: clearly, seeing a kid wrapped in an Arbok is more important than avoiding errors like that. *shrugs*

An episode that focuses on Bonnie's gag...okay, I'll take that. A part of me wonders though: how convenient is it that Bonnie has the marriage nightmare on the night just before her brother sets up a relationship meets a girl who wishes to marry. (y)

Seriously, I ROFLed when Lilia accepted Bonnie's proposal. :LOL: But then, part of me wonders why did Bonnie keep asking girls if she did not want her brother to get married. I am afraid, but even after watching the entire episode, I could not understand an answer to that.

Is it just me or does Lilia also ship Bunnelby and Buneary? Also, Dedenne understanding Bonnie's feelings and standing for her was neat too. I especially loved that he did not apologize to Lilia, even when Clemont asked him to, for Bonnie, and that Bonnie praised him for attacking Lilia with Nuzzle.

Seriously though, the Aipom Arm never got damaged before while lifting Bonnie, but starts short circuiting just when Bonnie is to be rescued from falling off a cliff. CLEMONT, THAT DEVICE OF YOURS NEEDS TO BE THROWN AWAY!

AWWW!! Poor Buneary is crying while leaving Bunnelby. I loved that Bunnelby waved Buneary goodbye; it was pretty neat and gentlemanly of him.

Still, the ending puzzles me. Yeah, Bonnie did give a reason for reverting back to her old self, but that reason does not kinda fit well with me. :confused:

Overall, the episode was pretty fun to watch, with some amusing moments, worthy of a 9.5/10 from me.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom