• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP28: Seeing the Forest for the Trees!

Haven Paschall manages to nail it again as Serena, the way she managed to nail down the tone of the scenes and was top-notch in how she did it with the scene of Serena smacking snowballs at Ash. I still maintain it was a good episode and the dub was very good as well, despite the sort of missed opportunities the original had. This episode was great, 7/10.

Beautiful and was for some reason kinda expecting the Dub to cut the snowball scene but they didn't so(y). Definitely Serena was the highlight of this EP and just made me like her and her actress even more. They played Stand tall during this episode and was overall really good, with nice atmosphere and I can't wait for next week to finally end this badge quest!

The dub had some bad lip syncing, espacially the part with Serena throwing snowballs at Ash, she was off. When she says "Stop!" and "You sure aren't him!" her mouth isn't moving along with it. It was a great episode though!

Why would they cut the snowball scene? It ain't violent cause snow is soft, white sparkling delight!

This episode turned out to be a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

I'm just going to quickly point out all of the things I liked.
Pikachu calling out others and all of them training. Ash and Serena arguing for literally the first time ever. I never would have expected that to happen, mainly because of Serena's crush. I also loved how she knocked him out with snowballs. He deserved it for yelling at her when she was trying to comfort him. Lastly the freaking adorable af snow Dedenne was perfect.

I love how Luxray showed up and using his X-Ray vision to search for Ash. And Noivern and Hawlucha shielding Bonnie from the storm was adorable. The flashbacks to baby Ash were also cute, but c'mon Ash, don't just go out into forests alone to play with Pokemon. Squishy searching for Ash in both his core and Zygardog form were nice additions and I love that Greninja thanked Squishy using that ninja pose.Though I'm kind of surprised that that was his only reaction since he'd never seen Squishy in that form iirc.

I really liked how the Ash-Greninja transformation was done. It was simple, quick, and non-over hyped. He transformed to save the Spewpa and that was all. I did like how Greninja cheered like Ash when he reached the ground. Lastly, I loved the callback to when Ash caught Froakie with that Pokeball fistbump. Now I'm excited to see how the gym battle turns out. I also thought it was interesting how Squishy referred to Ash by his name when he lasted referred to Pikachu as, "the young man's Pikachu".

The only thing I didn't like was the ever so idiotic TR. Perfect opportunity to catch Pikachu right in front of them with no trainers in sight and they just walk away. Just because the Thunderbolt didn't feel right:/ Then they show up again just to get blasted. Pretty pointless, imo, but whatever. At least it didn't last long. I also didn't like how Ash never formally apologized to Serena for yelling at her. I get that it wasn't some major argument and that he did thank her for helping him snap out of his funk, but it didn't seem right to me that he didn't apologize for his actions. She also should have apologized for the snowball attack as well imo:/

Overall, a pretty good episode. 7/10.

This is a fantastic episode, but the problem I will always have with it is Noivern, Hawlucha and Talonflame vanish into thin air half way through. I suppose they were put back in there balls just like Luxray would have been but they should have stayed out to at least show there feelings about Ash being missing.

Why would they cut the snowball scene? It ain't violent cause snow is soft, white sparkling delight!

I think he thought TPCi would cut it because of the dubs' history of censoring scenes that depict violence of the kind that can be done in real life by people (i.e.: slapping or punching someone, or in this case, throwing a snowball).

Anyway, I think the show just gained three characters stupider than Kanto Ash, Unova Ash, and Cameron combined: Team Rocket. Walking away from Pikachu was a supreme idiot move.

And at last, the Ash-Greninja form is perfected. Kinda wish it happened as a result of something more meaningful than just rescuing a Spewpa. Oh well.

I know this has been a running thing with me for this whole arc, but Ed Goldfarb's score for this episode was so good that he's starting to stand a chance of sharing my #1 best Pokemon composer spot with Ralph Shuckett and John Loeffler.

Next week, let's see how this arc ends.

I think he thought TPCi would cut it because of the dubs' history of censoring scenes that depict violence of the kind that can be done in real life by people (i.e.: slapping or punching someone, or in this case, throwing a snowball).

Anyway, I think the show just gained three characters stupider than Kanto Ash, Unova Ash, and Cameron combined: Team Rocket. Walking away from Pikachu was a supreme idiot move.

And at last, the Ash-Greninja form is perfected. Kinda wish it happened as a result of something more meaningful than just rescuing a Spewpa. Oh well.

I know this has been a running thing with me for this whole arc, but Ed Goldfarb's score for this episode was so good that he's starting to stand a chance of sharing my #1 best Pokemon composer spot with Ralph Shuckett and John Loeffler.

Next week, let's see how this arc ends.
I was just making sure. Anyway, next week the fireworks:D

Nice episode! Finally he has perfected the form! TR was so funny like the old days in this episode. Serena is the first girl to argue like that. I hope they just don't screw her like others.
Sigh, they are building this up just for him to lose once again against Charizard...

I really liked this episode very much and I was thinking about the plot for the rest of the day because it really impressed me
First, those many mature scenes, especially that Ash-Serena argument and Ash talking to Greninja about teamwork. Second, the great and action-packed Ash-Greninja rescue scene and last but not least the fact that trainer and Pokemon have such a close bond now that's even stronger than before. It was so motivating to watch!
(Just one question: Are you sure they've mastered Ash-Greninja form once and for all now? It wasn't mentioned in the episode but you keep reading it here and on Bulbapedia)

Concerning Team Rocket, I can understand why some of you are upset about their seemingly unnecessary appearance. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm fine with that because it wasn't a typical Team Rocket appearance. They behaved totally different today, it was funny and almost bizarre at the same time. I kind of liked it. Those guys sometimes really have a screw loose :D

Just one scene I didn't understand. I thought Pikachu would call out Ash's other Pokemon in order for them to look for Ash together. But he obviously made them train which was a bit weird when your trainer could be in danger. Or maybe I just overinterpreted something

Again, a great and mature episode! Pure pleasure to watch and very motivating for our own lives to always give our best!

I was looking forward to this episode and as expected, I loved it. I wouldn't have expected Serena to actually get mad at Ash and argue with him like that, I thought she would just be sad or something, so that was a very nice surprise. It makes the characters much more believable and gives them some personality, so I really hope we see more of this kind of scenes in the future.

That being said, I was pretty disappointed by the ending of this episode. I was expecting a heartfelt scene with Ash apoligising to Serena for the way he behaved, but he just goes like "thanks for opening my eyes" and that's it. Don't get me wrong, I still loved the episode overall, but it just seems like a missed opportunity for another great scene in an overall great episode.

Last edited:
This episode was pretty touching and animated beautifully. The Ash and Serena scene was something I wish we saw more often before this, but at least it showed Serena has some dignity to not always worship the ground Ash stands on...
Too bad that side will never be seen again
That what I like about all the other female leads dynamic with Ash, they didn't always see eye to eye, but they settled things in the end through the episodes they occurred. Maybe it's just me though, but saving a Spewpa (any wild Pokemon really) felt a little anti-climatic for a Perfect Greninja appearance. I suppose they would be in that "like" state of mind, but for a special form designed to be amazing at battle potential, I really figured it be great if they perfected it in a battle. Oh well, I've dealt with that when the episode first aired in Japan.

I do have to agree with Ash though, while Serena has good intentions, nothing she learns about his situation would help him out. She's not a battler, she doesn't have the type of bond with her Pokemon as Ash has with his, and her loses are trivial compared to his as losing in showcases is pretty superficial and quite frankly bias. I like the argument and understand the basis for it, but Serena came off as someone who could solve any problem because she's a "good" listener.

In the grand scheme of things... this episode was pointless outside of mastering the form, what with the League being a wash and what not

Last edited:
Awww... Ash is still depressed, and Serena is starting to worry. To be honest, this is one of the favorite episodes of the XY series I have seen in a while, because it has so much drama, the type of drama that, I felt, was not characteristic of the Pokémon anime till seeing this episode.

Ash and Serena's interactions were over the top for me. Seeing the two bicker was not something that I expected. And she put on a puffed up face, even after coming back to the Pokémon Center. LOVED IT! (y)

Team Rocket does not want to capture Pikachu in this episode! Why, it is the perfect opportunity to do so!

For some reason, I really want Luxray and Squishy in its 10% Forme to interact with each other, but so far, I don't think, that has been incorporated into an episode.

A young Ash is cute, but not so much as a depressed Ash. Don't hate me!

Ash finally gets himself together and masters Bond Phenomenon. Ash is all excited to challenge Wulfric, and everyone, especially Serena, is glad. I loved how Ash thanked her for helping him snap out of his depression. NICE EPISODE, Writers! (y) 11/10

Also, is it just me or do all Spewpa in the Kalos region just evolve into Meadow Pattern Vivillon!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom