• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

REVIEW: S19 EP40: Coming Apart at the Dreams!

Fresh Snow Pokémon
Reaction score
...Is it just me, or was there something different about the scene where Lysandre tried to control Ash and Greninja?

Reaction score
Wow, it's been a lot of time since there has been actual censorship.
But if TPCi did this to Ash screaming, I wonder how will they handle what's to come.

Reaction score
I heard online that they changed ash's "jesus" pose but I didn't check

Reaction score
Wait wait wait sorry for double post but I just actually went and watched this on YouTube

The changes are way, way too much for TPCi to do this alone. They actually had OLM basically animate the entire episode again?!
Ash doesn't look like he's being put in physical pain, but rather simply hypnotized. Not only he's not screaming, but they made it so he has his eyes slightly closed before he snaps out of it. And I recall Dogasu pointing out last week that they didn't change Ash's and the Pokémon's "cross" poses... Is this true? So then why do they changed it in this episode but not the previous one?

Man, if they did all of this for this episode, I can't even imagine what might they've done with the upcoming ones...

Fresh Snow Pokémon
Reaction score
Wait wait wait sorry for double post but I just actually went and watched this on YouTube

The changes are way, way too much for TPCi to do this alone. They actually had OLM basically animate the entire episode again?!
Ash doesn't look like he's being put in physical pain, but rather simply hypnotized. Not only he's not screaming, but they made it so he has his eyes slightly closed before he snaps out of it. And I recall Dogasu pointing out last week that they didn't change Ash's and the Pokémon's "cross" poses... Is this true? So then why do they changed it in this episode but not the previous one?

Man, if they did all of this for this episode, I can't even imagine what might they've done with the upcoming ones...
Really? I didn't notice any differences, apart from the super-obvious one.

Reaction score
Obvious edit for anyone who can't find it: They changed Ash and his pokemon "christ" pose

Attachments

Reaction score
Really? I didn't notice any differences, apart from the super-obvious one.
Okay, I was kinda exaggerating there. My point is, they had to re-draw a huge amount of scenes. Namely, every scene with Ash or his Pokémon in it for the first 12 minutes of the episode. I think this is the biggest visual change done for the English versions there has ever been in any Pokémon media.

Edit: Yes, I totally forgot about Lenora. For what is worth, that was mostly revamping a character's design, while here, they directly changed some of their actions such as Ash's painful scream.

Last edited:
"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
I can't really be too annoyed. If anything, I fully expected this.

Reaction score
This was a pretty great episode. I liked that everyone had an important part to play in it, which I feel like XY(Z) has struggled with.
I noticed. Quite a surprise, seeing such a change.
Why, TPCi. WHY!?
It is indeed a rarity in the TPCi era. Perhaps it was network-mandated?
Okay, I was kinda exaggerating there. My point is, they had to re-draw a huge amount of scenes. Namely, every scene with Ash or his Pokémon in it for the first 12 minutes of the episode. I think this is the biggest visual change done for the English versions there has ever been in any Pokémon media.
I think the Lenora changes were bigger. But yeah.

Reaction score
Why didn't they do away with the crucifix-imagery from the get-go?

Reaction score
I made a couple of screenshot comparisons here and here, if anyone's interested.

Why didn't they do away with the crucifix-imagery from the get-go?
I guess they just weren't expecting this. Which is weird, since there was that similar change made in the Pokémon Adventures manga back then.

more afraid of you
Reaction score
I thought this was a great and exciting episode. Of course I don't watch the original, so I didn't notice the edits everyone is talking about, but I still think the episode was intense even if they changed some stuff.

I thought it was really great seeing Clemont step up and be awesome. Also, out of all the many battles with evil teams throughout the history of the anime and movies that seem so important, Ash and Clemont finally use their entire team to battle! This is something I have been waiting for for years, because of course general rules should go out the window when you are trying to save the world.

Sorry this episode was so disappointing to others, I still really liked it. Can't wait to see the rest.

Fly High Guy
Reaction score
They actually censored Ashs painful screaming? What a bunch of cowards. The dub isn't worthy!

Reaction score
Laaaaaaaaaaame

He's inspirational, he's willing to sacrifice his life for others, the crucifixion imagery fits his Saint Satoshi portrayal. Way to lessen the impact, dub.

Reaction score
Laaaaaaaaaaame

He's inspirational, he's willing to sacrifice his life for others, the crucifixion imagery fits his Saint Satoshi portrayal. Way to lessen the impact, dub.
That is... really pretentious and overstating it. Much as the animation team could've kept in the screaming, I don't think the Jesus imagery was necessary.

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Geez, Lumiose City looks awful. THIS ARC IS AWESOME! Seriously, the suspense is amazing and it actually feels like this is a huge, life-threatening problem that's effecting a lot of people.

Damn, Squishy isn't playing any games here. He slammed into Z2 like a pistol. And did Garchomp decimate a Dark Pulse by slashing it. Eh, I suppose weirder things have happened. I love how Clemont decided to pull out all the stops and send out Bunnelby and Chespin to aid in the battle against Aliana and Byrony. And thank goodness there was no swift spam BS. Wow, those girls battled better than I would have imagined. I was sure Clemont and Clembot would blow them away with a few attacks. But they took on 6 Pokemon, two being Mega Evolved, with no problem.

Man, the truth hit Alain hard. He was so devastated, I loved it! Sucks that Serena didn't get in on the action against the Admins, but at least she's doing something relevant. And yay, the rivals are still here...and don't do anything. Wow, I literally forgot all about the Zydarde dukeing it out in the middle of the city. We really should have seen more of them.

Is it just me, or did Ash's Pokemon not seem all that concerned about him and Greninja being zapped by Lysandre. They weren't struggling to even try to help him and sounded so unenthusiastic crying out to him. Even Pikachu. It was pretty disappointing. The Ash-Greninja transformation was epic though. I also have to give serious props to Sarah Natochenny. Her performance for Ash's little speech to Lysandre was really well done.

Ok, I only slightly flipped the hell out when Lysandre's fancy equipment just showed up and attached itself to him out of no where and he flew up to where Ash and Alain were. Holy crap, is Bonnie connected to Squishy or something? I was surprised to see her seemingly feeling his pain. I loved how Blaziken Mask had Blaziken save her. But lol, he called her Bonnie. I'm surprised that she didn't notice that. Also kudos to Lysandre for having a shiny Gyarados. Damn that brawl was getting hype, but I really didn't like how Ash didn't command Talonflame to attack at all. Why the hell did Noivern need to attack twice?

Anyway, overall a great 2nd part to the Flare arc. Bring on part 3. 9/10.

And was the dub really different from the original? Lol, guess that shows how much attention I pay to the Japanese version:p

Reaction score
That is... really pretentious and overstating it. Much as the animation team could've kept in the screaming, I don't think the Jesus imagery was necessary.
If I didn't want melodrama I wouldn't be watching anime. :LOL: