• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP40: Coming Apart at the Dreams!

Wow, it's been a lot of time since there has been actual censorship.
But if TPCi did this to Ash screaming, I wonder how will they handle what's to come.

Wait wait wait sorry for double post but I just actually went and watched this on YouTube

The changes are way, way too much for TPCi to do this alone. They actually had OLM basically animate the entire episode again?!
Ash doesn't look like he's being put in physical pain, but rather simply hypnotized. Not only he's not screaming, but they made it so he has his eyes slightly closed before he snaps out of it. And I recall Dogasu pointing out last week that they didn't change Ash's and the Pokémon's "cross" poses... Is this true? So then why do they changed it in this episode but not the previous one?

Man, if they did all of this for this episode, I can't even imagine what might they've done with the upcoming ones...

Wait wait wait sorry for double post but I just actually went and watched this on YouTube

The changes are way, way too much for TPCi to do this alone. They actually had OLM basically animate the entire episode again?!
Ash doesn't look like he's being put in physical pain, but rather simply hypnotized. Not only he's not screaming, but they made it so he has his eyes slightly closed before he snaps out of it. And I recall Dogasu pointing out last week that they didn't change Ash's and the Pokémon's "cross" poses... Is this true? So then why do they changed it in this episode but not the previous one?

Man, if they did all of this for this episode, I can't even imagine what might they've done with the upcoming ones...

Really? I didn't notice any differences, apart from the super-obvious one.

Obvious edit for anyone who can't find it: They changed Ash and his pokemon "christ" pose

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    874.5 KB · Views: 303
Really? I didn't notice any differences, apart from the super-obvious one.
Okay, I was kinda exaggerating there. My point is, they had to re-draw a huge amount of scenes. Namely, every scene with Ash or his Pokémon in it for the first 12 minutes of the episode. I think this is the biggest visual change done for the English versions there has ever been in any Pokémon media.

Edit: Yes, I totally forgot about Lenora. For what is worth, that was mostly revamping a character's design, while here, they directly changed some of their actions such as Ash's painful scream.

Last edited:
This was a pretty great episode. I liked that everyone had an important part to play in it, which I feel like XY(Z) has struggled with.
I noticed. Quite a surprise, seeing such a change.
Why, TPCi. WHY!?
It is indeed a rarity in the TPCi era. Perhaps it was network-mandated?
Okay, I was kinda exaggerating there. My point is, they had to re-draw a huge amount of scenes. Namely, every scene with Ash or his Pokémon in it for the first 12 minutes of the episode. I think this is the biggest visual change done for the English versions there has ever been in any Pokémon media.
I think the Lenora changes were bigger. But yeah.

Why didn't they do away with the crucifix-imagery from the get-go?

I made a couple of screenshot comparisons here and here, if anyone's interested.

Why didn't they do away with the crucifix-imagery from the get-go?
I guess they just weren't expecting this. Which is weird, since there was that similar change made in the Pokémon Adventures manga back then.

I thought this was a great and exciting episode. Of course I don't watch the original, so I didn't notice the edits everyone is talking about, but I still think the episode was intense even if they changed some stuff.

I thought it was really great seeing Clemont step up and be awesome. Also, out of all the many battles with evil teams throughout the history of the anime and movies that seem so important, Ash and Clemont finally use their entire team to battle! This is something I have been waiting for for years, because of course general rules should go out the window when you are trying to save the world.

Sorry this episode was so disappointing to others, I still really liked it. Can't wait to see the rest.

They actually censored Ashs painful screaming? What a bunch of cowards. The dub isn't worthy!

Laaaaaaaaaaame

He's inspirational, he's willing to sacrifice his life for others, the crucifixion imagery fits his Saint Satoshi portrayal. Way to lessen the impact, dub.

Laaaaaaaaaaame

He's inspirational, he's willing to sacrifice his life for others, the crucifixion imagery fits his Saint Satoshi portrayal. Way to lessen the impact, dub.
That is... really pretentious and overstating it. Much as the animation team could've kept in the screaming, I don't think the Jesus imagery was necessary.

Geez, Lumiose City looks awful. THIS ARC IS AWESOME! Seriously, the suspense is amazing and it actually feels like this is a huge, life-threatening problem that's effecting a lot of people.

Damn, Squishy isn't playing any games here. He slammed into Z2 like a pistol. And did Garchomp decimate a Dark Pulse by slashing it. Eh, I suppose weirder things have happened. I love how Clemont decided to pull out all the stops and send out Bunnelby and Chespin to aid in the battle against Aliana and Byrony. And thank goodness there was no swift spam BS. Wow, those girls battled better than I would have imagined. I was sure Clemont and Clembot would blow them away with a few attacks. But they took on 6 Pokemon, two being Mega Evolved, with no problem.

Man, the truth hit Alain hard. He was so devastated, I loved it! Sucks that Serena didn't get in on the action against the Admins, but at least she's doing something relevant. And yay, the rivals are still here...and don't do anything. Wow, I literally forgot all about the Zydarde dukeing it out in the middle of the city. We really should have seen more of them.

Is it just me, or did Ash's Pokemon not seem all that concerned about him and Greninja being zapped by Lysandre. They weren't struggling to even try to help him and sounded so unenthusiastic crying out to him. Even Pikachu. It was pretty disappointing. The Ash-Greninja transformation was epic though. I also have to give serious props to Sarah Natochenny. Her performance for Ash's little speech to Lysandre was really well done.

Ok, I only slightly flipped the hell out when Lysandre's fancy equipment just showed up and attached itself to him out of no where and he flew up to where Ash and Alain were. Holy crap, is Bonnie connected to Squishy or something? I was surprised to see her seemingly feeling his pain. I loved how Blaziken Mask had Blaziken save her. But lol, he called her Bonnie. I'm surprised that she didn't notice that. Also kudos to Lysandre for having a shiny Gyarados. Damn that brawl was getting hype, but I really didn't like how Ash didn't command Talonflame to attack at all. Why the hell did Noivern need to attack twice?

Anyway, overall a great 2nd part to the Flare arc. Bring on part 3. 9/10.

And was the dub really different from the original? Lol, guess that shows how much attention I pay to the Japanese version:p

That is... really pretentious and overstating it. Much as the animation team could've kept in the screaming, I don't think the Jesus imagery was necessary.

If I didn't want melodrama I wouldn't be watching anime. :LOL:

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom