• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP01: Alola to New Adventure!

WatcherMark

Reaction score
Here's a brief run-down of the dub of this episode. I'm not going to discuss the episode itself, since I already did that in the actual thread. Instead, I'm going to note down any major changes from the original.

- All the Japanese music is retained. Don't celebrate yet though (if you care about that kind of thing), as I think it's a case of TPCi not having their new batch of synth music ready to go yet. This could easily be changed when the episode airs properly.
- Just like previous preview episodes, there is no title sequence. The title card is obviously retained.
- Although most of the original script is pretty much intact, the dub doesn't even try to translate most of Samson Oak's puns... the Solrock and Porygon ones are the only ones to make it through (and maybe the Tyranitar one since I couldn't actually understand what he said even when I took it back). Otherwise he's just making weird faces.
- Unlike Kapu-Kokeko, Tapu Koko is simply referred to as a guardian... he's not a deity in the dub (due to the obvious religious implication).
- The biggest change this episode goes through is that the attack name text is removed when Kiawe performs the Z-Move. Why the hell TPCi would remove this is beyond me since it's also in the games.
- Who's That Pokemon? returns, and it's visually similar to the Japanese except that the picture doesn't shuffle around. The music is also retained, but again who knows if this will happen in the series proper. The Pokemon that appeared was Grubbin.
- All the new Pokemon get dub voices, although I think Tapu Koko had some of its Japanese voice retained.
- The 'To Be Continued' subtitle is removed.

Last edited:
Dub cast for the episode
x49oluN.png

I honestly don't see why the credits can't list exactly who voices whom. It's not that hard to do add that in, seeing as other shows can do it, and other shows don't have the amount of money that the Pokemon franchise has. Also, I assume Mallow is voiced by Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld, since from what I heard of the dub trailer, she sounds a bit like Bonnie, but I'm not an expert at matching voices to characters, so this is just my belief.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see why the credits can't list exactly who voices whom. It's not that hard to do add that in, seeing as other shows can do it, and other shows don't have the amount of money that the Pokemon franchise has. Also, I assume Mallow is voiced by Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld, since from I heard of the dub trailer, she sounds a bit like Bonnie, but I'm not an expert at matching voices to characters, so this is just my belief.

If I receive the cast lists, I'll let you know

I honestly don't see why the credits can't list exactly who voices whom. It's not that hard to do add that in, seeing as other shows can do it, and other shows don't have the amount of money that the Pokemon franchise has. Also, I assume Mallow is voiced by Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld, since from what I heard of the dub trailer, she sounds a bit like Bonnie, but I'm not an expert at matching voices to characters, so this is just my belief.
Also Lillie sounds alot like Serena to me so maybe Haven Paschall is voicing her?

The dubbing seems really good recently, these two episodes and the movie have restored my faith in the dub a little.

Is there a new English opening?

As I said in the opening post, there is no opening sequence. We just get a 'Pokemon Sun and Moon series' graphic then move straight to the title card.

Another strong start to a series. Glad to see not-resetted Ash and a good blend of old and new. The "Ash's mom takes him on a vacation to the new region and leaves him there" is giving me BW vibes, but...eh.

I loved the new soundtrack and character voices. The new cast is solid and I even loved the new art style--it injects a lot more personality into the series.
- The biggest change this episode goes through is that the attack name text is removed when Kiawe performs the Z-Move. Why the hell TPCi would remove this is beyond me since it's also in the games.
I assume they got sent a version without the subtitle, so that they don't have to rewrite it for a dozen or so languages whenever it appears. It was a nice touch in the Japanese version, but it's not a huge loss.
Marc Swint as the only male actor listed (apart from Rodger Parsons) is my guess for Kiawe leaving Laurie Hymes, Jessica Paquet and Rosie Reyes
They've been doing it in the dub since episode 1. I guess they just never bothered to change it. I know other shows like The Simpsons that do it, and that's been running longer than Pokémon. It sucks for people like us who are interested in that sort of thing, but eh, at least the actors themselves are pretty open about who they voice.
Rosenfeld's role is actually Sophocles; he sounds like a human Bunnelby. I agree with Swint for Kiawe, and I think Hymes is Mallow, Paquet Lillie and Reyes Lana but I could be wrong.

The biggest change this episode goes through is that the attack name text is removed when Kiawe performs the Z-Move. Why the hell TPCi would remove this is beyond me since it's also in the games.

I'm pretty sure the attack name text is only removed momentarily. Chances are TPCi/DuArt didn't have time to localize that text into English while making it look like the video game in time. The fact that it was left blank is actually more promising than if they had left the Japanese text in or obscured it for whatever reason. It means the Japanese division knew ahead of time to leave it blank so it could be adapted internationally for different languages. Granted, this could still mean it will be left blank but I'd rather think positively. If they didn't have time to compose some dub music or even a dub opening, it's not too far fetched to assume they are also adapting the text at a later time.

Also worth noting. Due to the unfortunate passing of Logo Designer Eric Medalle, his replacement is now Kevin Lalli.

E1km9fX.png

Lalli has worked with Pokémon before, as early as the Pokémon 2009 World Championships.

Kevin Lalli | Graphic Design | Print Design

So my actual review of the episode.

Wasn't a big fan of how the episode started. It's weird to seeing Ash already in Alola without a proper explanation until three minutes in. I was worried I was actually watching Episode 2 instead of 1 (I didn't watch the sub beforehand). And the explanation for how they even got to Alola was very rushed as well, literally. It's like the writers couldn't be bothered to give more detail into the matter. And what was with Oak worrying about how to get the egg to Samson? I'm pretty sure he could have found a way, it's not like the predicament he faced with the GS Ball.

I may be looking a little too much into this, but it's a little sad to see how little time Ash actually spent with his mom on their vacation to Alola. Two times, he ditched her to chase after a Pokémon, and after only spending what felt like seconds of on-screen time with her, she was already back in Kanto. however, I'm pretty sure she knew before even leaving for Alola that Ash would stay there. Why else would she fashion him another outfit for a simple vacation? She even made him a backpack for crying out loud.

I really like this new group of friends Ash will be traveling with. Three girls and two boys that are roughly his age will allow for great and interesting interactions allowing us to see who gets along with who and who argues with who. We never had two girls traveling with Ash at the same time, aside from Serena and Bonnie, but the difference here is they're all the same age. I'm excited to see what the writers do with this.

Samson definitely is a laugh with his puns, so I look forward to seeing more of him. Team Skull seemed to be shoe-horned into the episode, but I'm nevertheless happy to see the antagonist team (That's not Team Rocket) being introduced early into the series. Tapu Koko's interest in Ash also seems a little forced, but I'm willing to let the writers convince me why this is as the series goes on.

Finally, the animation. It's breathtakingly marvelous. Hopefully any doubts people had about it can be put to rest now after this episode. It was fluid and by far the best I have ever seen in the series. I realize this was the first episode and the quality is subject to change every episode, but it's already got my hyped to watch more.

Overall, great episode. Aside from a few nitpicks, it's still a great start to the series. Here's to more great episodes like this!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what song is being played in the credits?

They changed Bewear's voice so HONESTLY what is the point

But for real, the music seems louder than it has in the past few seasons, on the same level as the Japanese version. I know they'll end up replacing most of it when the real version comes out but hopefully the few pieces they do keep will be able to be heard again.

That was a lot better than I expected, although I was merely expecting bad because of Ash's new design XD

Episode was a lot of fun, I look forward to more. Lille and Green girl's voice sounded very familiar to me, I'll probably realise who they are in time.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom