• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP03: Loading the Dex!

Eh, Rotom's dub voice is a tad nasally and annoying at times to me, but I prefer it to Ash, Jessie, James, Meowth, and Kukui's dub voice overs, which I find either poorly performed or miscast entirely (as usual).

The dub music is pretty unfittingly placed as always, but not a shocker there, it's to be expected at this point. Kanji was expected to be erased as it was in SM001-002's dub as well, not surprised there either.

I guess this is the first time the words "Dig it" are literally part of a Team Rocket motto in the dub, unfortunately, it's worse than I thought it'd be...I mean, the usual slang, alliterations, rhymes, that's been the case for dub TR since DP (early BW excluded) so that was expected, but having Meowth say that in the motto is just...bleh.

Kiawe's dub voice is the only one I feel genuinely fits his character in those clips, but the emoting on Marc Swint's part needs a bit of work: he still lacks enthusiasm in the actual acting aspect.

All in all, yeah, I don't think I'll be watching the dub anytime soon tbqh. At least I got a laugh out of the kanji being erased, though, it's what I expected- good luck to anyone who likes it, though, more power to you.

Last edited:
I guess this is the first time the words "Dig it" are literally part of a Team Rocket motto in the dub, unfortunately, it's worse than I thought it'd be...I mean, the usual slang, alliterations, rhymes, that's been the case for dub TR since DP (early BW excluded) so that was expected, but having Meowth say that in the motto is just...bleh.

I don't hear "Dig it" anywhere..?

Musashi: If asked, "*"Jessie: Did someone ask something? We're here to find out!
Kojirō: We shall tell you our namesJames: Noble answers are what we're all about!
Musashi: A flower's face and a willow's waist, makes the moon abashed and flowers wiltJessie: The beauty so radiant, the flowers and moon hide in shame,
Musashi: A single flower of evil blooming in this fleeting worldJessie: A single flower of evil in this fleeting world,
Musashi: Musashi!Jessie: Jessie!
Kojirō: An exquisite talent and the perfect gentlemanJames: The nobly heroic man of our times,
Kojirō: A disciple of evil fighting back against this tragic worldJames: The master of darkness fighting back against a tragic world,
Kojirō: Kojirō!James: It's James!
Nyarth: Walking the same path, the deeds of one are the deeds of allMeowth: It's all for one, and one for all,
Nyarth: Even among friends, the star of evil shining like goldMeowth: A glittering, dark star that always shines bright,
Nyarth: Nyarth!Meowth: Figured! While Meowth takes flight!
Musashi, Kojirō: We are Team Rocket!Jessie, James: Team Rocket, let's fight!
Nyarth: We are!Meowth: That's right!
Sonans: Sōnansu!Wobbuffet: Wobbuffet!

I don't hear "Dig it" anywhere..?

Musashi: If asked, "*"Jessie: Did someone ask something? We're here to find out!
Kojirō: We shall tell you our namesJames: Noble answers are what we're all about!
Musashi: A flower's face and a willow's waist, makes the moon abashed and flowers wiltJessie: The beauty so radiant, the flowers and moon hide in shame,
Musashi: A single flower of evil blooming in this fleeting worldJessie: A single flower of evil in this fleeting world,
Musashi: Musashi!Jessie: Jessie!
Kojirō: An exquisite talent and the perfect gentlemanJames: The nobly heroic man of our times,
Kojirō: A disciple of evil fighting back against this tragic worldJames: The master of darkness fighting back against a tragic world,
Kojirō: Kojirō!James: It's James!
Nyarth: Walking the same path, the deeds of one are the deeds of allMeowth: It's all for one, and one for all,
Nyarth: Even among friends, the star of evil shining like goldMeowth: A glittering, dark star that always shines bright,
Nyarth: Nyarth!Meowth: Figured! While Meowth takes flight!
Musashi, Kojirō: We are Team Rocket!Jessie, James: Team Rocket, let's fight!
Nyarth: We are!Meowth: That's right!
Sonans: Sōnansu!Wobbuffet: Wobbuffet!
Where you listed Meowth saying "Figured" is where he said "Dig it," actually, although I think the rest is correct (I'd have to replay it again).

I actually.............kind of liked that motto. Except for the "dig it" part. It seems pretty well-translated, maybe not as well as their Unova motto but better than all the others. And they kind of worked in some of the original motto at the end. Also Michelle Knotz continues to be my favorite TPCi actor, which is fitting since she replaced my favorite 4Kids actor. She really seems to be enjoying her role, and it shows.

As for the Rotom Pokedex, it's much better than I thought it would be (much like the character overall), and all of the voice performances seem better in general. The dub music is also a step up from XY's, though I still wish it wasn't there at all.

All in all it's better than I expected but still not where it should be.

The music in the Rotom scene isn't too bad, and neither is Rotom's voice imo.

I actually don't mind Rotomdex's voice. I'm a little disappointed they didn't keep the verbal tic, but oh well.

Team Rocket's motto isn't so bad either! Except of course for the "dig it." Putting that stupid phrase directly in the motto...ugh. Least it's only for a split second.

Well I am impressed with Rotom Pokedex's voice, I was expecting something earbleedingly bad but this is far better than I thought it would be.

Also we'll probably never see the full ep unless Disney XD or CITV start their runs which won't be until god knows when so we'll have to "dig it" for now.

(Yes I know that phrase was not necessary, I shall boil my brain now)

Managed to watch the entire episode, a bit uncertain on Roger Callagy's voice at Rotomdex atm but as with all new voices, it takes a while to get used to

Groans, Team Rocket is back, don't like them much, nice to have Ted Lewis voicing Giovanni and seeing Meowth's hatred for Persian though, Billy Bob Thompson certainly gives Mimikyu a slightly sinister voice

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom