• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP06: A Shocking Grocery Run!

Want to point out that Bonnie and fat Clemont are two DIFFERENT characters with an another personality: Bonnie id hyper in both Jap and dub.

But...in this episode's case, where Ash said "Thanks for the food" in Japanese, they change it to "Down the hatch" in what I can only assume is to make him sound cooler, but what really stood out to me as being age inappropriate was when the script writer (JCC) had Ash say "So just eyeball it, right" when in Japanese, he said "This should be the right amount, right?" I've never heard a 10 year old boy say "eyeball it" when he talks about cooking food, at all.

This is another great point! It's weird that they really go out of their way in the dub to make Ash sound "cool" and "casual" but then they include a line like that. Those little inconsistencies in the dub, especially as a writer myself, really bug me. I'm not a huge fan of the way they've chosen to have Ash speak in the dub, but if that's the route you're going to go, at least make it consistent.

At first I wondered if Disney XD has tighter standards forcing them to censor the vomiting scene, but then I remembered Disney also aired this:

So yeah, not sure what's going on here!

At first I wondered if Disney XD has tighter standards forcing them to censor the vomiting scene, but then I remembered Disney also aired this:

So yeah, not sure what's going on here!

My theory is that its just a UK thing. The UK censors a bit of stuff, as ive seen with Yokai watch (such as the underwear scene they completely edit that out in the UK)

Dub was nice. Togedemaru is even more adorable in the dub with her super cute voice :) Am I the only one who feels like the narrator has been talking more at the beginning of episodes? Idk why, I just feel like he's been speaking for a bit more than usual. Almost like it was back in the original series. But I'm probably just imagining it :p

I'm liking Rotom's voice more and more with each episode. I also love how he's constantly using his Poke Finder and updating his data. But anyway, this episode shows why I wanted Ash to travel with companions who didn't know how to cook forever ago. Ash could have learned how to make a decent meal by himself by now if he hadn't been relying on other people for the past 6 regions. And wow, if I hadn't read the comments, I would have never known that this scene was edited. I totally forgot about Ash vomiting in the original, lol. Then again, I probably didn't even realize that that was supposed to be vomit, since it literally looked like he was spitting out a Psybeam :ROFLMAO:

Togedemaru is so adorable. I loved seeing her tackle Pikachu into a hug and roll around in a ball. I love how shy Sophocles was about admitting that he just wanted some ice cream. He's so cute. And I love how he keeps pestering Rotom to analyze him.

I still kind of wish Togedemaru would have saved Pikachu from TR on her own, rather than having to be powered up by Pikachu himself. I get that they said that Togedemaru's electric charge is weak, but c'mon, could they not have given her another move to use. A non-electric-type move. But whatever. It was adorable to see them hugging after the "battle". And lol, Ash will always be so naive when it comes to his Pokemon's friendship. But I'll let him slide since it was adorable how he referred to Togedemaru and Pikachu as brother and sister.

Nice episode overall. Seeing more focus on Sophocles and Togedemaru was really nice. I'd give this episode a 7/10.

Am I the only one who feels like the narrator has been talking more at the beginning of episodes? Idk why, I just feel like he's been speaking for a bit more than usual. Almost like it was back in the original series. But I'm probably just imagining it :p

No, I noticed that too! And I really like it! Specifically here where Ash says he's heading off, we get a bit of him going, and then he sees Litten and the narrator starts talking. It was different than when the narrator normally starts off the episode with "our heroes..." and such. A nice change.

While this episode was a disappointment in terms of Sophocles's character development, by filler standards I thought it was a breath of fresh air. It was cool seeing a slice of life-type episode instead of one revolving around a character we'll never see again. And the TRio appearance was worth it for Bewear alone. As for the puking scene being taken out, I know others will feel differently, but I couldn't care less.

That gen 1 reference.

Ash living where Lille was!? then where does Lille live!? is she homeless!? The phantom bed sniffer (gen 7 protag) would have no fun with that bed if it's Ash's!

Ash in a world of pain. that's what you get for stealing Lille's bed.

That's a lot of lab coats. ...and 10 year old Ash knows how to use a washing machine and I don't.

Heh I guess Ash doesn't know how to use it after all, I don't suck as much as I did 30 seconds ago. "I don't know how to cook". Yay I'm better than a ten year old now!

Since when does normal food exist in Pokemon, I thought it was just berries. and damn Ash, that was some Mystery Food X that would make Yukiko proud.

THE POKEMON WORLD HAVING NORMAL STUFF IS TOO WEIRD

Ash gets rekd a lot this gen.

Lmao Team Rocket still working part time, like didn't Giovanni promote them like 8 times - where'd all that money go!? they should just retire from being evil and do these jobs tbh, they seem really good at them. Plus they've worked in like 4 different countries - impressive.

"are you a ice cream and sweets guy?" ...yes. have you seen him Ash?

Rowlett playing in the bag like Morgana from Persona. Cute stuff.

Why are the staff trusting a ten year old with their computers? I guess he's a trial captain... but is he in this universe? hmmmm. Rotom can analyse buildings for maps? seems like he'd be good for crime. Don't let Rocket get their hands on him.

That guy was on a phone! Pokemon has phones!? I guess Ash and his friends were just too poor for them over these years.

Lmao they nearly killed Pikachu. Imagine they did, all those years wasted on an accidental murder.

...this Bewear gag has already lost its fun tbh.
This was a boring episode tbh, the last filler as fine but I didn't really like this one. I guess each character will get one since Mallow, Lana and then Sopcles. I hope Lille is next.

Now I'm wondering if the censorship of ash vomiting could be a network thing, but this seems to point at TPCI doing this. Which is weird as heck since it's tame compared to other shows. It's litterly just sparkles.

What I find interesting is that a vomit scene that looks like pink sparkle glitter is cut in the English dub yet here in America,you'll find shows like Sanjay and Craig which is far worse in toilet humor and gross out humor,including vomit so what gives?

So Ash is left all alone at home. Things can't go right, I wonder.

Guess I was right... WHY? Ash, why would you put the entire detergent in the washing machine? Oof! Also, poor Rotom Dex. It just tried to help with the cooking. :(

Oh, so it's Sophocles at the shopping mall. Great seeing him getting some focus. AND, yeah, I'm pretty sure Ash, that he is the sweets and ice-cream kind of guy.

Team Rocket is doing so well at their job, when they suddenly realize that their primary aim is to steal all the Pokémon from the shopping area. Nope! AND for the first step, they inadvertently cause a system malfunction... Still nope!

Meowth getting scared by Mimikyu was hilarious to me. And so was Jessie getting mad at the door. :LOL::LOL:

Hmm... so, Sophocles is not good with directions. You'd expect Ash would learn that after two bumps. :p Oh, I LOL'd hard at Rotom Dex simply carrying Togedemaru to the ventilator duct. :LOL::LOL:

So... Togedemaru can't generate large quantities of electricity by itself to attack. Well, that's a let down! Also, Bewear jumping off buildings. :LOL::D

Togedemaru is female. (y)

All in all, a nice episode. Worthy of a 8.5/10.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom