• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP08: Lillie's Egg-xhilarating Challenge!

just watch the episode, it's so nice to watch a Lillie episode in english. I honestly think Lillie's dub voice is nice, not my favourite but nice, and the music was nice, I was really like when they used the Pokémon performance/Serena Theme in the episode

I think this edit doesn't apply to just UK, but I remember watching another version that had the same edit too. I'm Guessing there are other Countries who's Dubs have a diffrent way of edits such as the TBC text. Now about the episode, it was another good one just like EP007. Lillie got good development here, Gladion and Lusamine picture wonder how this will play out. Jame's name is now Hobbs which I thought was a reference to the movie the Hobbit. The Music in this episode was just as good as yesterday's, I like that it seems as if this season the Dub is letting certain characters do the WTP segment which I don't think was done before. I'll give this one and yesterday's episodes an 8.5/10:)

Clearly, we had a fluke today on the music, since they kept 6 pieces (most of which were in the last 5 minutes) & like 30 seconds of silence. Bear in mind there was still mostly dub music for the first 14 minutes of the episode as well, though, and the previous dub episode kept only 2 pieces of BGM with no silence, so IDK what happened here? Did Mr. Goldfarb feel generous today?

I'd comment on the VA and writing, but you guys know I consider it below average/poor, so no point in beating that dead horse.

I wanted to like anime Lillie. I really did. But I found her Poképhobia rather overdone and hard to sympathize with. And since until now that was her only defining character trait, I couldn't get behind her. But I feel like she's starting to grow on me. She got a nice dose of backstory and character development, and I admit her antics with Pikachu, Rowlet and Rotom were amusing. She's still not one of my favorite characters, but I feel like this was a step in the right direction for her. As for the dub, the big draw for everyone is how the BGM was untouched in the last five minutes. As someone who unironically likes the dub music, it doesn't mean much to me. I do like how they kept a bit of silence, though. It can be awkward sometimes, but it built the tension at the end of the episode well.

Togedemaru is the cutest thing ever. She's so happy and hyper, kind of like Pachirisu. I actually lol'd when she smashed into Pikachu and flung him into a wall. That was hilarious. I like that Mallow rescued Lillie from getting rolled into. Actually, I liked how Mallow and Lillie's friendship was portrayed all throughout this episode. It's clear that she's the one who wants to get her more comfortable with Pokemon the most.

Moving on to the egg shenanigans, I l thought it was adorable that Lillie chose the white egg just because it had flowers on it and looked cute :3 Am I the only one a bit disappointed by how little we've actually been seeing the trainers in school. It seems like we only ever see them hanging around in class for a few minutes, and I think we've only seen 2 actual learning moments so far. I just find it a bit weird since the school is supposed to be the main base of operations and the main reason why Ash stayed in Alola.

Anyway, moving on to Lillie's swag mansion...what the hell is with the stalker Salandit? Get out. I loved seeing Lillie studying from her large collection of books since we know she loves to read. And wow, they actually showed a picture with Gladion and Lusamine. I wasn't expecting to see them so early. I really don't get this whole situation with Lillie "forgetting" what happened to her to make her dislike touching Pokemon. I don't mean the incident itself, I'm talking about Hobb's. I sincerely hope he at least tried to do everything in his power to figure out what the hell happened to Lillie on that trip that could have caused this incident. It just seemed like he really didn't care all too much about the issue, which I find odd from someone who's supposed to be Lillie's main caretaker.

Moving on to the "leaning how to touch Pokemon scenes" what the hell was Pikachu's deal? Why would he forcefully put his head in Lillie's hand before she was ready to touch him when he knows good and well that she's afraid? And then he acted like it was no big deal. Why did they do this to Pikachu? This is so ooc for him. If stuff like this keeps up, I don't think I'm going to be too fond of him for the rest of this saga. And I already don't like the bird... And speaking of him, of course he'd freak Lillie out just by being annoying. I didn't expect them to actually try Rotom-dex for the test, but seriously...why the heck would he screw that up? Man, poor Lillie. I felt so bad for her during that whole ordeal.

And now the battle. Oricorio is so damn cute. And I like the way they portrayed Revelation Dance. I hope they show it off with the other styles as well. I lol'd when that annoying owl got flung in the air. Poor Mallow, though. She did't deserve getting smacked in the head. And to think, with all that time the battle was going on, Salandit was only just getting inside the house:/ Took it long enough. I was wondering where it went after the camera focused on Ash and Hobbs I freaked out when it was actually in front of Lillie.

It was really cute to see Lillie hugging the egg at the end. I love Lillie so much. And her dub voice is really cute. Nice episode overall. 9/10.

I was hoping Lillie's voice would improve once she had more lines, and it did...slightly. I think my main problem with it is its very inconsistent. A lot of the time, Lillie sounds too high pitched and it comes across as cartoony sounding. In this episode, there were a few instances where I feel like the octave of her voice went down a bit, and it didn't sound quite as grating. She definitely still has my least favorite voice on the cast (well, aside from Principal Oak...) and I'm hoping the improvement continues over time.

I'm excited we got to see Oricorio here! It's one of my favorite new Pokémon so seeing its dub debut was very exciting. I liked the battle between it and Rowlet. I also liked seeing teeter dance affect Ash and Rotomdex, and not just Rowlet.

The reference to Lusamine and Gladion was nice. There's definite foreshadowing going on there, with Hobbs saying that Lillie loved playing with Pokémon until her return from living with Lusamine. I also liked Lillie's line that her brother lives "somewhere else." It certainly sounded like she has no idea where he actually is, so I'm looking forward to that storyline getting more developed.

Finally, Lillie and Mallow's friendship was a huge highlight of this episode, and I think it could become a real highlight of the entire series as well. I've really enjoyed the portrayal of the girls' relationships with one another so far, but Mallow's and Lillie's is one that really stands out. It's so nice to see how much Mallow cares about Lillie. Similarly, it was nice to see Kiawe encouraging Lillie as well. He's obviously the gruffest of the main cast, but he seems to have a lot of patience with Lillie and I think that's a nice component to have.

I'm glad they actually kept all the main music pieces in the last act. Too bad the dub didn't get to hear the Haouli City and Iki town pieces though...
It's not saying much, though, I mean, 14.2/19 minutes of the BGM was all changed: this episode was regular AG/DP/mid BW dub standards on the music, just 27% kept. I mean, I'm happy the last 5 minutes (okay, a little less than that, 4.8 minutes to be specific) didn't follow usual late BW/XY/SM dub standards on the music and retained it, but it's a far cry from where the dub was with this years ago, IMO.

And trust me, I don't judge the dub only on the music quality, either: if it had other redeeming traits, I'd be the first person to stick up for it, but I'm not seeing those these days.

Last edited:
That Togedemaru is murderous. At least Lille is okay, though I kinda wish Ash had pulled her out cuz shipping. I mean, I wouldn't want Ash with her but she probably would've panicked and blushed or something and that would've cute.

Shame Ash didn't point out that he's hatched like 6 eggs or something.

Yay Lille blushed when the egg moved anyway! good stuff.

Lille has a limo? you'd almost think she was Lille from Tekken. They both even wear a white dres... expecting Lille to kick someone in the face now.

Of course his name is Hobbs.

Wait who shut the door?

Lille sure is inviting a boy into her room quick. YOU'RE MOVING TOO FAST GIRL.

Lille sure has a lot of people work-ROSERADE TEA!? GIMME.

Lille blushing at Ash eating. Keep making her blush Ash, heheheh

I wonder if Rowlet does that in Ash's bag, be freaky if he did.

Rowlett's eyes were swirly, I call BS Ash!

Mallow using headbutt on Rowlett. I Call DQ.

How dare that Salandit try to hurt such a cutie. At least Lille was brave to keep the egg safe. And yay she's safe, thank goodness for that.

I half expected to egg to have already hatched in her hands when she was protecting it and then she was over the fear forever. Ah well always next time. Then she can cuddle a Budew, at which point I die of cuteness overload.

I demand more Lille. Right now. My only qualm is that I prefer her second game design. Ah well, maybe that will come later. Other than that I will enjoy her.

I am very late to seeing this episode.

is it me or is Lillie's estate reminiscent of the estate in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl with the trophy garden?

Oh! Togedemaru is so cute and so active! I love her personality so much! :X3: Pikachu might not though.

It'as nice seeing Mallow and Lillie's bond of friendship in this episode. I am really in love with Mallow's cheerfulness.

So, Lillie chooses the white Pokémon Egg. Wonder what will hatch from it. Munna, perhaps? Though, it seems like an Ice-type Pokémon honestly.

Wow, Lillie be a rich girl. DAMN! Also, who closed the car door? Also, what's with that Salandit? Does it want to steal the egg? To eat? Wow, SM series sure is darker. First Rowlet, and now Salandit.

I can't help but wonder what happened with Lillie while she was off visiting Lusamine. Hope to learn it real soon. Also, that Pokémon-touching training session was pretty hilarious. :D I know Pikachu, you tried to be helpful, but eh!... Rowlet was just... Rowlet. Rotom Dex was savage, though! Does it count as a Pokémon still? :D

Wow, that's a lot of Pokémon in Lillie's garden! Wish I could be in that place. :cry:

Hobbes versus Ash was pretty exciting. Nice seeing Oricorio in the anime. Wow, Hobbes does not waste any time, straight away attacking Rowlet with Revelation Dance. He's a strong battler, alright.

More Mallow? GIMME! :X3: Also, Lillie finally gets over her fear of touching the egg. That's real nice! (y):)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom