• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP09: To Top a Totem!

As much as I was excited for the Island Trials, I was kind of disappointed with this one.

The beginning was nice. Rotom was as cute as ever and I love how Kukui is acting kind of like a dad to Ash. But I have to say that I'm liking Pikachu less and less as the episodes go by, which is really sad as I've never had an issue with him before, but I just can't take how weird he's acting. Doing things like randomly deciding to gorge on food he was sharing with Kukui's dog and playing on Hariyama/taking a nap while Hala is having a serious conversation with Ash is just so off putting. Really hoping that Ash gets Litten soon, because I'm not liking either of the two Pokemon he has right now. Rotom Dex is a far more tolerable Pokemon, and he's a Pokedex more than a Pokemon.

I do like how Rotom still frequently takes pictures of the situations going on around him. And of course Togedemaru is still adorable; knocking the other Pokemon off of the table before cuddling up to Pikachu. I also loved the inclusion of that random Psyduck that looked it was trying to fly. Love Psyduck :D

Now as for the Trial itself...I was really disappointed. Maybe I hoped for too much expecting them to actually portray the Trials as they are in the games. I was hoping they'd have Ash find the Yungoos and Gumshoos in their burrows and just battle them 1-on-1 before battling the Totem. Instead, the actually part Trial is completely eliminated and Ash just goes straight to the Totem with no Trial before it. Unless they were suggesting that that small bit of Ash battling Gumshoos' allies alone was supposed to actually be the Trial, which would be ridiculous. Then to make matters worse, Ash takes on Totem Gumshoos with both of his Pokemon while the Totem never calls upon an ally during the battle, which is the main aspect of Totem battles in the games. What made the Totems so fun and challenging was how they were a 2-on-1 format that always puts the player at a disadvantage and this episode reversed the entire situation and made it easier for Ash. Sure Rowlet got K.O.'ed so it was just Pikachu vs. Totem Gumshoos, but I still would have liked for it to have called on an ally like it does in the games to make it more difficult for Ash to win. I also felt that the battle was way too short and that Gumshoos went down rather quickly. This was Ash's first trial and it just seemed way too quick and easy for him. I hope the battles against future Totems are longer and actually use the S.O.S format:/ Literally the only thing I enjoyed about that battle was the bird getting knocked out from a rock:p

Another thing I didn't like was the Raticate/Rattata situation. Not only was it weird for them to be out during the day when they're supposed to be nocturnal, but the entire situation seemed totally pointless. It seemed like it was nothing other than a reference to the fact that the Verdant Cavern Trial revolves around the Alolan Rats if one is playing Moon. Ash's Trial could have actually included the battles against the Yungoos and Gumshoos in their burrow and there could have been a longer, more difficult battle against Totem Gumshoos. Oh well, hopefully the next Trial will stick to the games.

I'm going to give this a 6.8/10. I was just really bummed by how the "Trial" went. :(

This was an episode that I benefited much more from watching in English. I absolutely loved the explanations behind the trials and what their deeper meanings are. It really gives me a much bigger appreciation for them, and I like that it makes them feel like they have a bit more significance than just a gym battle.

Hala's voice was different than I was expecting (like...way different) but I actually really liked it! I thought it suited him well. It was also very calming, which was nice! I also really liked Officer Jenny's. At times she sounded very much like OS/AG/DP Jenny and I thought it was very fitting.

I am SO glad they kept Mallow's "Ash has been thinking about something for that long?!" line. Easily one of my favorites in SM so far so I'm really glad they kept it in tact. I also thought it was cute that the classmates helped him out and Ash wanted to make sure it was okay, and Hala insisted it was the best way to go. Focus on the relationships here is A+.

I also might have mentioned this in the original Japense thread, but I found the trial battle so much more dynamic than a gym battle. I really liked watching Ash jump from place to place, up on rocks and things like that, and not just standing in one spot. It really added to the action and kept me invested in the battle, which can be hard to do.

"There are other ways to get a z crystal other than the island trial". Huh I wonder how, why didn't you elaborate!?

Ash must've stopped lifting if he can't lift logs any more. We all remember this right?

846d815867d803f2a4a8e4ef5f92d5af.jpg

"thanks Kahuna Hala". Huh that's one way to refer to someone. "Thanks for helping Gym Leader Brock".

Lmao at them being amazed that Ash is able to think.

That was a pointless Team Rocket cameo.

What was the point of that question if he battles the totem anway. Also, seems kinda counter productive to trust a random 10 year old to earn the trust of the Pokemon to "get rid of" those Ratatas. Why not just help anyway? that underlevelled Gunshoos is a jerk.

That was an interesting sand attack for accuracy.

The banter is Ash caught those two knocked out totem guys. Although they both got one shot, so that would be pretty bad catches.

Ash is fighting it 2v1? that's cheating! and... was that Rock Smash? if it was, Rowlet got rekd by a not very effective move lol.

I like the gen 7 anime sand attack, it's very interesting. Poor Electro Ball.

Pretty sure you'd already won with Quick Attack Ash, that Thunderbolt was overkill. Huh maybe not. Was still kinda harsh when it was down though!

Was Trumpshroos holding onto that for the entire battle?

THAT'S A LOT OF RATICATE

That Sand Attack is OP. Also they resist Bite so wot. That was unrealistic tbh. Also still wondering what their plan was if Mr Ash Ketchup hadn't won the trial, those Raticate would've just taken over the world

Totem time! I liked Ash's interactions with Kukui and his classmates in this episode. They really do bounce off each other well. Hala's voice isn't what I was expecting, but it's pleasant to listen to.

As for the battle itself, it was about on par with my expectations, but nothing special. But in terms of the credits sequence...TPCi actually updated it, the absolute madmen!

Totem time! I liked Ash's interactions with Kukui and his classmates in this episode. They really do bounce off each other well. Hala's voice isn't what I was expecting, but it's pleasant to listen to.

As for the battle itself, it was about on par with my expectations, but nothing special. But in terms of the credits sequence...TPCi actually updated it, the absolute madmen!

WAIT WAIT..... You mean to tell me that the ending got updated within a week instead of by the next season??? I'M THOROUGHLY SHOOK RIGHT NOW

The episode was pretty nice and interesting TBH. Ash finally realizes he needs to do something of consequence during his stay in Alola. I'm glad. Why didn't he think about that earlier?

Gosh, so many Alolan Rattata and Raticate! My anxiety is kicking in. :sick: Nice seeing Hala in the anime. He is one jolly character after all; it's always lovely seeing him. I like how Hala repeatedly pointed out Tapu Koko's admiration for Ash. Wonder if it will mean something for the two of them eventually.

I adored how Hala attempted to emphasize the fact that Island Trials are something beyond just regular battle challenges. That's the part that effectively distinguishes them from Gym battles after all. (y)

AAAH! I wanted Ilima to guide Ash through his Verdant Cavern trial, but whatever. The trial itself was pretty interesting. Nice seeing Gumshoos in the anime. It's one of my favorite Generation VII Pokémon after all. :love: The battle against Totem Gumshoos was exciting as well. I was brilliant seeing Pikachu using Sand Attack to blend in with his Quick Attack. That's typical Ash strategy there!

AAAHH! Anxiety! :sick: Glad the Rattata and Raticate were defeated! Hope to never see them again in such large numbers! :sick:

Alright, so Ash has completed his Melemele Island Trial and Hala's Grand Trial is up next. Wonder how it'll work out.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom