• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP13: Racing to a Big Event!

Rather boring episode now that I've watched it the second time. Pikachu and Raichu's rivalry could have been good but didn't go anywhere afterwards.

Besides the ending it shall be easily summed up in one word:

Skippable.

This episode was kinda boring actually as I thought the race was kinda all for nothing, but Bewear though at the end and Komala wow:ROFLMAO:. So Vulpix is named snowy, figures they go with an Icy name for an Icy Pokemon and I like it thought it fits well. I will rate this episode an 6.5/10.

Seriously how do Team Rocket get away with clear cheating, Bewear was clearly a fake, even before the rocket booster

Can't say I like the real Bewear much but did us a favour and didn't let Team Rocket win, sorry to be blunt but Team Rocket are not my favourites

Another episode I enjoyed from series now in English. I like the music they used none of it felt out of place like some of the episodes, I also like how their still using the performance theme from the XY series. I like that Lillie's Vulpix is Snowy rather then Snowball. I like how they also updated the ending credits, with Lillie having Snowy with her

I love how this episode started off with some Bounsweet screen time. She really needs to get a focus episode to herself. I feel like we barely ever see her or Mallow.

Alolan Raichu is so cute. But seriously, is there any real reason why this one had to be a jerk to Pikachu. There little 'rivalry' was so pointless and formed from absolutely nothing. This is the same problem I had with the mean Alolan Persian in SM 7. Why do they make these Pokemon jerks just for the sake of it? It's so annoying. Why couldn't Raichu be nice or just plain indifferent to Pikachu? There was no reason for them to be bickering.

I felt bad that Sophocles lost so early on. But it was nice to see some Alolan Muk. I sure didn't expect that. Also, Popplio carrying the Pancake's in his balloon was utterly adorable. Poor Kiawe though. Sucks that both of his Pokemon are super huge and heavy. Though that fact makes me wonder why he even bothered entering the race when he knew that he'd have to pull his Pokemon. I also felt bad for Togedemaru. She was so sad that they couldn't finish the face. Lol at her protesting by bouncing her spikes on Sophy.

I hate that Bounsweet tripped and caused both Popplio and herself to be disqualified. I'm glad they at least they ended up disqualifying Mimikyu and it's trainer too, but Popplio didn't deserve to go out like that. Also, that Komala rolling with the pancakes was the most hilarious thing ever. Seriously...how did they balance so perfectly?

The best element of this episode was TR flopping the entire way through. I don't even want to know why they went through the trouble of putting Meowth and Wobbufett in a giant Bewear suit that James could barely pull. They could have easily just had Jessie take her Pokemon (who doesn't have a mission to end Pikachu's life at every occasion) and James take Meowth (or ya know that other Pokemon he just caught) . I loathe that ridiculous Bewear gag, but I'm glad it foiled TR here because of the sheer stupidity of their plan.

Komala winning was the most hilarious thing ever, but it was so expected. I did like how they showed all the losing trainers in the back, comforting their Pokemon. I especially like the trainer who gave his crying Riolu a hug. That was nice.

And the egg hatched. Didn't expect that to happen here, but okay. I didn't like how Snowy hatched facing the complete opposite direction of Lillie, but that's just a minor nitpick. But it's still so good to have a Pokemon with a nickname on the main cast.

Overall, this episode was decent. 6.8/10.

Things that doesn't make sense:

Bounsweet and Mallow was working hardest, yet they failed, to give more spotlight to Ash.
Popplio is disqualified for some weird reason.
Kiawe choose Turtonator out of all pokemon.
Apparently there is no rule against Levitate.

Last edited:
I love how this episode started off with some Bounsweet screen time. She really needs to get a focus episode to herself. I feel like we barely ever see her or Mallow.

Alolan Raichu is so cute. But seriously, is there any real reason why this one had to be a jerk to Pikachu. There little 'rivalry' was so pointless and formed from absolutely nothing. This is the same problem I had with the mean Alolan Persian in SM 7. Why do they make these Pokemon jerks just for the sake of it? It's so annoying. Why couldn't Raichu be nice or just plain indifferent to Pikachu? There was no reason for them to be bickering.

I felt bad that Sophocles lost so early on. But it was nice to see some Alolan Muk. I sure didn't expect that. Also, Popplio carrying the Pancake's in his balloon was utterly adorable. Poor Kiawe though. Sucks that both of his Pokemon are super huge and heavy. Though that fact makes me wonder why he even bothered entering the race when he knew that he'd have to pull his Pokemon. I also felt bad for Togedemaru. She was so sad that they couldn't finish the face. Lol at her protesting by bouncing her spikes on Sophy.

I hate that Bounsweet tripped and caused both Popplio and herself to be disqualified. I'm glad they at least they ended up disqualifying Mimikyu and it's trainer too, but Popplio didn't deserve to go out like that. Also, that Komala rolling with the pancakes was the most hilarious thing ever. Seriously...how did they balance so perfectly?

The best element of this episode was TR flopping the entire way through. I don't even want to know why they went through the trouble of putting Meowth and Wobbufett in a giant Bewear suit that James could barely pull. They could have easily just had Jessie take her Pokemon (who doesn't have a mission to end Pikachu's life at every occasion) and James take Meowth (or ya know that other Pokemon he just caught) . I loathe that ridiculous Bewear gag, but I'm glad it foiled TR here because of the sheer stupidity of their plan.

Komala winning was the most hilarious thing ever, but it was so expected. I did like how they showed all the losing trainers in the back, comforting their Pokemon. I especially like the trainer who gave his crying Riolu a hug. That was nice.

And the egg hatched. Didn't expect that to happen here, but okay. I didn't like how Snowy hatched facing the complete opposite direction of Lillie, but that's just a minor nitpick. But it's still so good to have a Pokemon with a nickname on the main cast.

Overall, this episode was decent. 6.8/10.

It seems the writers hate Raichu.

It seems the writers hate Raichu.

Idk of you're joking or not, but I'd say hate is a strong word. I feel that they do stuff like this so the viewers will want to side with Pikachu, the 'good guy' and dislike the 'bad guy'. The problem is that it's so forced. Pikachu is the Pokemon of the main character. A majority, if not all, of the kids watching are probably already rooting for him anyway. Making the competitor a jerk in addition to that is so unnecessary, imo.

This episode was a bit better than I was expecting. I did enjoy it well enough in Japanese, but well, the dub is the dub, as it proved last week...

I'm pretty happy they kept in Kukui's line about needing to buy so much food because "someone in my house has an endless appetite." It's been one of my favorite lines of his so far. I also chuckled when they were about to eat the pancakes, and he says to Ash, "what is it you always say? Down the hatch!" I've been kind of annoyed with the overuse of that line so at least it was pretty entertaining to have Kukui reference it.

I still don't understand what direction the dub is trying to take with Team Rocket. I feel like they've toned down Jessie and James' stupid puns and alliteration and such pretty considerably (Jessie was actually a big standout to me this episode, a majority of her dialogue and line delivery was pretty great) yet Meowth is as insufferable as ever. It's really not endearing at all, so I don't understand why the dub insists on keeping it up, especially when they've adjusted Jessie and James.

One thing that really made me happy this episode: FINALLY got the emotion out of Kiawe I was looking for! I'd definitely consider this the first episode featuring more of his "dramatic/passionate" behavior, and his voice lived up to it! I had the biggest smile on my face when he was struggling to pull Tortunator. It was portrayed brilliantly. Hopefully this keeps up, because it was a highlight for me.

A bit surprised they went with Snowy for Lillie's Vulpix. I really thought they would go with Snowball, which I actually like a bit better. Snowy still fits though, obviously, and it's pretty cute, so I'm okay with that choice!

Finally, don't know if I included this in my review of the original airing, but it was pretty wild how no one really had a reaction to Bewear just coming out of nowhere and kidnapping some people and Pokémon. It was just "hey, that's not a real Pokémon! Disqualification!" Like right, just ignore the insanity that just happened and focus on the damn robot. Kind of awkward but kind of funny at the same time.

Things that doesn't make sense:

Kiawe choose Turtonator out of all pokemon.
Kiawe is a very prideful person. He could have caught a smaller Pokemon if he wanted (Cubone/Marowak is native on his island, along with other choices), but he didn't want to catch a different Pokemon just for this race. He wanted to win with his beloved Turtonator.

Never expected a whole episode based on that throwaway gag from Alolan Raichu's Pokémon.com entry, but I guess it proved popular enough with writers (and fans) that they just had to make a filler out of it. Well, an almost-filler, since a fairly major event happens at the end.

Once again, I think Team Rocket is the star of the show again. And it helps that their dubbing is above average. I liked how James's popsicle muffled his speech, and Bewear sabotaging their plan at the end was classic. Though I wonder why James didn't just use Mareanie? On the other hand, Kiawe using Turtonator was hilarious, I feel bad for Lana and Sophocles, and of course Komala won. You wouldn't even know it was Samson's if you weren't paying attention to the ending credits.

Regarding the dub:
  • That announcer girl was definitely Dawn's VA.
  • Snowy, huh? I was hoping for Snowball, but it fits.
  • They updated the ending credits again!

Be careful with those pancakes, or else Akechi will swoop in and steal them and you'll never see it coming.

That maid cafe girl having bottom eye lashes freaks me out, I feel like Pokemon usually doesn't have those.

Pancakes as a meal is weird to me, I'd see them more as a desert.

All you can eat Pancakes? Akechi is defo gonna cross over into this universe.

Mallow was NOT kidding. Ash you're gonna die from her jealous rampage.

Entering was a bad idea Sopchcles.

Lana's cheating lmao.

See I knew Kiawe entering Turtonator was a bad idea, doesn't matter how hench he is when you're trying to pull a 50 million pound monster, just like that imaginary guy with Snorlax.

Mimikyu and Poplio being DQed is kina harsh, if falling into a Pokemon eliminates them then Pikachu should just punch that Raichu's pancakes to win. Not like Pikachu knows Mega Puch or anything is it...

It sure isn't obvious that that Bewear is cheating at all is it. What a crap referee we have.

Well at least Ash and Pikachu didn't win off of one night's training but I guess second place is also questionable from that...

Aw I'm sure you'll finish the race one day Kiawe. He technically came 4th too, that's awesome! unless he screwed up off screen at some point. Probably did.

Huh well I guess this technically wasn't a filler episode since Vlupix hatched. Go figure. That's cheating, TCPI

Finally, don't know if I included this in my review of the original airing, but it was pretty wild how no one really had a reaction to Bewear just coming out of nowhere and kidnapping some people and Pokémon. It was just "hey, that's not a real Pokémon! Disqualification!" Like right, just ignore the insanity that just happened and focus on the damn robot. Kind of awkward but kind of funny at the same time.

I mean, would you wanna be the one to stop the random angry Bewear?

Last edited:
I mean, would you wanna be the one to stop the random angry Bewear?

Oh no, definitely not :LOL: I just thought it was pretty funny how the announcer didn't even comment on it. Instead she was just like "fake Pokémon, disqualified!" Like...not even a mention of this giant Pokémon swopping in out of nowhere? That's just poor sportscasting!

Oh no, definitely not :LOL: I just thought it was pretty funny how the announcer didn't even comment on it. Instead she was just like "fake Pokémon, disqualified!" Like...not even a mention of this giant Pokémon swopping in out of nowhere? That's just poor sportscasting!

It's okay, she just wont get hired for the World Cup.

Kiawe is a very prideful person. He could have caught a smaller Pokemon if he wanted (Cubone/Marowak is native on his island, along with other choices), but he didn't want to catch a different Pokemon just for this race. He wanted to win with his beloved Turtonator.

Charizard? I'm sure kiawe loves it too.

Wow, this was such a cutesy, interesting Pokémon episode.

First things first, watch Bounsweet hop around like that was so cute. She's just so cuddly! :X3::X3: Also, never have I seen Mallow so serious before.

Alola Raichu debuts here. I don't know I wanted to be such a... jerk to Pikachu, but eh... It was pretty cute though. :X3:

Of course, Jessie wants an year supply of pancakes. Personally, I would pass on that offer. I would probably get disgusted by them pretty soon. Ah, that's nature for you! :rolleyes:

I hope Mallow was really kidding when she said that, Ash. ;)

The Alola Pancake race itself was an exciting event. Like how it involved inputs from both the Pokémon and their Trainers.

So, poor Sophocles is the first one to be disqualified. That's sad. Nice seeing Alolan Muk here. Of course, Mimikyu. Same old same old. I am actually surprised it listened to Jessie for not attacking Pikachu.

Not sure why James decided to use that fake Bewear instead of his Mareanie. :rolleyes: Also, I LOL'd upon learning that Meowth and Wobbuffet did in-fact put on weight feeding off that Honey before the event. :LOL:

Nice seeing some focus for Samson Oak and Komala in this episode.

Togedemaru's reaction to her loss was so CUTE! I love that Pokémon so much. :love::love: Ah! Bounsweet knocks out both Mimikyu and Popplio along with her. Though, Mimikyu's case was kinda confirmed, considering it would have disqualified itself for attacking Pikachu regardless.

Okay, Anna, that's a Bewear spewing fire from its back. I'm pretty sure that's normal for Bewear to do. :rolleyes: I LOL'd at seeing the real Bewear come up and sabotage Team Rocket's plan once again. :p:D

Also, did I mention about Komala having some superb balancing prowess.:eek:

So, Samson Oak and Komala won, while Ash and Nina came in second. Hopefully, Pikachu and Raichu become friendlier now. Regardless, it was nice seeing the losing Trainers and their Pokémon's reaction. That poor Riolu! :(

Also, poor Kiawe! :(:D

Ah, what's that? The Egg Lillie cared for has finally hatched into Alolan Vulpix. That's great news! :)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom