• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP15: Rocking Clawmark Hill!

Rockruff is sooo cute. Probably a big part of why I enjoy this episode.

I loved the scene where the classmates watch Ash use himself as a target for the rock throw and make comments like: "that's weird", "that's reckless", "doesn't that hurt? It had to hurt." I laughed out loud with those comments. I get pretty bored of watching Ash throw himself in front of attacks and having the other characters dramatically gasp or cry out his name. It's really overdone and melodramatic, honestly. So to instead have the classmates being completely unimpressed with Ash's boldness was pretty funny to me.

The battles were okay. I'm not a big battle fan so those scenes dragged the episode out for me. By the second set of "Pokémon fight club" scenes I was more interested in looking at my phone than watching the battle. That's just personal preference, though. Also, the reused shot of the two Lycanroc looked just as bad and lazy as it did in Japanese.

Also, I really wish the dub would include Ash saying "ow ow ow" when Rockruff rubs its rocks against him. I guess it's kind of implied in the way Ash laughs, but I prefer the way it's done in Japanese when there are some audible ows.

I'm very happy Ash caught Rockruff. It's one of my favorite Alola Pokémon and I've always wanted Ash to have a puppy Pokémon.

Overall a pretty good episode. Mostly gets points for Rockruff being cute and the classmates' comments.

Just finished watching on Youtube, a great episode without a doubt

Team Rocket's absence was great as they might have attempted to capture the fight club Pokemon instead of showing Ash training Rockruff

Have to give Haven Paschall credit for her performance as Rockruff

Dub kept 1 piece of BGM today: the title card. Yeah...*sighs*.

That aside...man, was Ash's dialogue bad today in the English dub, "Wiggle wiggle wiggle," "Up to ten," and "really rub" that new move just...the writer continues to attempt to be hip.

Acting is its usual subpar self to me, not shocked there.

Shocked they kept Ash shaking his butt, though.

Oddly though, as extremely underwhelming as the dub continues to be for me, I was impressed with Kukui's VA- he's the only one I'm seeing a notable improvement from, personally.

Last edited:
Well, I think the series will continue to grow Ash's bonds with Rockruff and Litten...

Not really sure what is planned for Rowlet other than having him sleep all the time.

Why did Poplio randomly do that bubble and wet everyone. Bit harsh

My Rockruff sure didn't run around on its own to evolve and if it were mine in the show, I'd touch it with an everstone if it started evolving in the day and would wait till night to take it out so I can have a cool evil looking Werewolf

"the more they like you the more they rub." sounds.... painful.

I still don't see the point of these random Pokemon cameos like those Magikarp

Huh so Pokemon like to randomly fight to the death and not allow the battle to end till someone dies by making a giant circle. Interesting.

Not really sure headbanging will amount to much but what do I know.

Why do we have to see Ash twerk... I guess girls need fan service too.

Damn Ash took that Rock Throw like it was nothing.

Was gonna call BS on Magmar losing to one Rock Throw but damn that Tackle to the belly was brutal.

Eh Ash makes sense since he lives with Kukui at least. He's also a cutie so there's that too.

Turns out they didn't edit out the butt shaking scene! I am relived.

So you enjoy seeing ten year old boys twerk? interesting.

So you enjoy seeing ten year old boys twerk? interesting.

Well, I mean, I'm sure they were just saying they were happy TPCi didn't censor it considering TPCi did censor the glitter vomit and Meowth's second death. It's funny because Yokai Watch's dub keeps the OST, but it didn't keep the main character shaking his butt.

Lysandre made his welcome return this week... well his English voice actor anyways. Lysandre himself is up in heaven.

HD Quinn huh? Looks like Lysandre hasn't given up the fight just yet:cautious: Anyways, this episode was good in that finally Ash gets the chance to get Rockruff and finds out that it wants to get strong just like Lycanroc. I do appreciate that Ash was there for it every step of the way and to help it beat Magmar towards the end. So because of the capture and that as always the Dub did good as always I will give this 8.5/10.... 9/10 actually because of no TR:D

I find it hard to believe that the two Lycanroc couldn't be the ones to defeat Magmar but Rockruff did it with one round of Rock Throw..

I find it hard to believe that the two Lycanroc couldn't be the ones to defeat Magmar but Rockruff did it with one round of Rock Throw..

They weren't fighters as I recall: they were basically supervisors.

"Raticate, Sudowoddo is not a chew toy!"

"No punches below the belt Pangoro!"

That sort of thing

Great seeing Rockruff as more than a background character, though I feel like its capture should've been held off a few episodes. Lycanroc didn't get as much screen time as I wish it would, though I like how they gave both forms different battling styles. And is it me or does it seem rather out of character for Ash to just stand back and let Rockruff battle on its own? Though it really is the perfect Pokémon for him, so I welcome the little doggy to his team with open arms.

SM015 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

The episode is available on the Watch Disney XD site and app. Please keep future events in spoiler tags.

(Somewhat off-topic) I don't know about you, but for some reason, Disney XD didn't add the episode as of 7.1.2017 at 4:27am EDT in their mobile and web apps. It's kinda weird. Has this happened to anyone here in the forums? (If this post is too irrelevant, you're free to remove it)

*Edit: Whoops, seems that the episode is in the app, but they didn't bother linking the episode in the main Pokemon episode page.

Last edited:
Wow, this episode was full of the unexpected.

For starters, I was surprised to learn that the Rockruff was a wild Pokémon. That one was definitely shocking. Nice learning about that little history between it and Professor Kukui though.

Wow, SO MANY Pokémon come to Clawmark Hill to train every evening. :eek: That Lycanroc versus Lycanroc was pretty interesting. I like how Professor Kukui explains about Lycanroc Midnight's preferred battling style, that which favours the use of Counter.

Poor Rockruff, he got beat bad, I guess.

So Rockruff learning Rock Throw to beat Magmar is the primary plot of the episode. Okay... Of course, Ash helps him train.

I slightly grinned at Rotom Dex being bewildered by Ash's training style.

Pikachu drooping off while Ash was motivating Rockruff was just hilarious. :LOL::LOL:

That butt-shaking scene though...
NO.
VjQEHBH.gif

Damn Ash took that Rock Throw like it was nothing... :eek:

So, Rockruff eventually beats Magmar. I liked how Rockruff started howling along with the Lycanroc at the end. AND, Ash catches the Rockruff at the end of all this. Well, that's great! :D

LOL'd seeing Rotom Dex trying to run along with the others during their training. But does it really need to? I mean, it doesn't even qualify as a Pokémon to begin with...

A typical Ash training episode there. I thoroughly enjoyed it. (y)

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom