• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP17: Crystal-Clear Sleuthing!

I knew I'd enjoy an episode focusing on Rodex, and this didn't disappoint.

First of all, I have to say that I love how Rotom and Kukui have a bond between each other. It's nice considering that the dex and Rotom used to be Kukui's. Man I feel like we haven't seen a Smeargle in forever. Just waiting for one to finally use an attack :/

Snowy is so cute :3 And I lol'd at Rotom trying to use those binoculars to try to find Ash's tiny little Electurium-Z on the ground. It was nice to see Principle Oak putting up pictures of himself and Komala from the Pancake race. And I of course enjoyed seeing that cute little Vulpix again. Snowy is still much cuter though. The part where Popplio was using her to practice his balloon skills was adorable.

I was loling the entire time everyone was freaking out over Kiawe finding out about Ash's missing Electurium-Z. It's hilarious how he totally spilled the beans himself. The scene of Kiawe furiously chasing Ash with Turtonator slugging behind was so funny. I was actually surprised that the Z-Crystal was stuck in Rotom's wig. I thought for sure it would be a scenario of Ash having it with him the entire time, like being in his pocket of something. So I guess that was nice. The thing that confuses me though is why Ash is still putting his Z-Crystals in his pocket in the first place when there are open slots for it on the Z-Ring. Seriously, what logical reason is there for him not to use those slots, but instead go though the trouble of putting them in his pocket where accidents like this can happen?

My least favorite thing about this episode had to be Pikachu's extreme OOC-ness. Any previous version of Pikachu wouldn't be focusing on playing with a damn wig while Ash is counting on him to find such an important item. I literally wanted Rotom to smack Pikachu in the face each time he reached for the thing. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it many more times, but I HATE Sun and Moon Pikachu.

But minus that one annoyance, this episode was great. I hope we have more episodes focusing on Rodex in the future. He's certainly one of the best characters this series. 9/10.

Last edited:
I still find this to be one of the cutest and most entertaining episodes of SM so far.

When they first announced Rotomdex as a main character, I was worried he would come across as too robotic or static and feel misplaced. That has certainly not been the case, and this episode was a prime example of that. They've managed to give Rotomdex a highly entertaining personality that really shined here. His comments, mannerisms, and sleuthing throughout the whole episode were so much fun to watch. I absolutely love how Rotomdex acts like a know-it-all, and half the time isn't actually right. It feels almost like breaking the fourth wall, and I really appreciate that aspect of his character.

Kiawe also stood out to me in a great way this episode. It was really amusing to see how worried all of the classmates were about his reaction to Ash losing the Z Crystal, and they were all spot on about the reaction! The voice acting from Kiawe this episode was outstanding. The over-the-top parts are done brilliantly and his voice remains strong, never falters or comes across as overwrought. I'm really pleased with how his character is working out.

And I actually liked Pikachu being a little silly in the episode! He's another one who it feels like they've just totally sucked the personality out of, so to watch him playing around was actually really nice. Plus, it seemed he was mostly going after the wig because the crystal was under it. There were also just a lot of really cute shots of Pikachu in this episode. His little legs when he was following Rotomdex up the stairs? Sooo cute.

Oh, and the continuity continues to be A+. I love that the pancake race was mentioned by Principal Oak. SM is handling the continuity right so far, which is something I highly value.

Smeargle are snuck in on occasion, but this is the first one in even a semi-focus since the fourth season.

It certainly seems to be the focus of that show if Alola TV's studio walls are any indication. o_O

Found this a funny but slightly annoying episode

Marc Swint probably put in the best performance this episode playing the angry Kiawe, his finding out that Ash lost his Z-Crystal was funny

The annoying bit for me was Rotom playing detective based on Laki. Sounds a bit like Cilan

Pikachu really wanted to touch that hair huh

This episode just feels like an excuse to debut Alolan Dugtrio. Also it'll probably just be in Ash's bed or something.

Damn Rotom doesn't care about Pikachu.

Imagine being that woman and flirting with a Pokedex.

Ash tried so hard then gave it away and damn Kiawe was even madder than even in Ash's dream.

Ash's room, how predictable. Or not, Rotom stole it. It was nice knowing ya.

Eh decent enough for filler I guess?

My opinion's downgraded a bit for this episode. It's an okay episode, one where the jokes are like a rollercoaster. Some will hit and others will fall flat.

Marc Swint's really improving a lot as Kiawe too, he did terrific displaying Kiawe's over the top moments.

A rather pointless filler, but it had its moments. For one, the main cast was able to carry the episode without any real CoTDs. Rotom Dex fanboy(?)ing over that detective show gave it more of a personality, and while finding out that he had the Z-Crystal all along was rather irritating, the journey in between was amusing. I like how Ash was terrified of Kiawe finding out he lost the Z-Crystal, and justifiably so, I might add. :ROFLMAO: Though the length it took him to find out seemed rather ridiculous, as Ash and co.'s excuses were laughably transparent and there was one time he mentioned the Electrium Z when he was right behind him.

Oh, so...*clears throat* It's detective time!

Nice seeing Smeargle in the anime after so long. Also, Alolan Detective Laki seems like a fun TV series.

So Ash has lost his Electrium Z. Kiawe is sure to be mad, fair enough! And, Rotom Dex decides to take this case under its care. Umm... I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Pikachu acted like a baby when it came to pulling Rotom's hair. Don't know to classify that as good or bad. :X3::(:unsure:

Alolan Diglett debuts in the episode if anyone cares. :p

Ah, yes, Samson Oak won this year's Pokémon Pancake Race, so it is only to be expected he and his Komala are used for the posters. Great seeing Vulpix too. (y):X3:

Err... has Kiawe always been so easy to deceive?!

Umm... I thought Rotom Dex would abandon the case to search for Pikachu instead. Well, oh well! So, Rotom Dex learns how to video record by touching the cameraman's camera... Okay, I guess... (y)

I actually wanted Rockruff to learn Odor Sleuth in the episode, but oh well. :p

I LOL'ed when Kiawe was declared the Z-Crystal thief by Rotom Dex. That look Ash gave him! :LOL:

So, poor Rotom failed the case after all. Oh well, at least it upgraded itself with the video recording feature in the process. Also, Pikachu seemed to know where the Electrium Z was after all. Wonder why he didn't tell anyone about it already. :confused:

All in all, a nice, well-written Rotom Dex focus episode. I'll give it a 9.5/10.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom