• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP21: One Journey Ends, Another Begins...

Was Ash gonna actually keep that doughnut? it fell on the floor. I mean I know there's the five second rule but still, it was on the floor. I guess maybe he could trick Kukui into eating it.

Just because Litten lives with a Stoutland doesn't mean it's not a stray.

Dogs hanging out with cats is pretty weird.

Ash, just call an ambulance for find a random adult. ...oh you have no phone. Strangers are fine though, we learned that in the last episode.

Wait so he does have a phone? should've just called Kukui to help take them there, look at them abs. Anyway this seems pretty mature with this episode so far...

Pretty good battle as well and Litten should be a good addition. No real criticisms other than Ash trying to carry on his own and Pikachu trying a Quick Attack against a Pokemon on the wall, meaning he could've rekd himself but yeah, this is one of the most touching etc episodes they done. Kinda like that one with the little Meowstick (the pre evovled name escapes me for now) with the old lady. I guess they all involve cats too...

and until Kukui said "I'm sorry" and it showed a ghost version of Stoutland or something in the sky, I wouldn't have thought death but there we go. Those feels.

So they actually did it. And in the supposedly saccharine Sun/Moon series as well. The Litten and Stoutland subplot was short but sweet. Poor Litten though. I should be saying it's about time he joined up with Ash, but he just watched his surrogate parent die. Maybe he should've taken an episode or two. But regardless, it was really well done, and I haven't seen this kind of emotion from Pokémon outside of a few movies.

The dub of this was really good. The plot was adapted faithfully and while your mileage might vary on whether you prefer the dub's slow piano music over the original's grand orchestra, I will say that it was impressive in its own right. I do wonder, though, why the dub (both 4Kids and TPCi) constantly covers up instances of potential death (as recently as the Mareanie episode) but leaves the few actual deaths alone. I guess they didn't really have a choice, but I'm impressed both versions went through with it, even only implicitly.

Oh yeah, and Meowth's comforting Bewear hug managed to be both cute and terrifying at the same time.

What I don't like about the dub's music is that they try to match the dialogue and actions so closely, there's tons of unecessary mood swings that ruin the supposed feel each scene tries to convey.

For example, just because Ash says he's taking Stoutland to the Pokémon Center doesn't mean there's room for some happy goofy music, the situation is still alarming. Then when Litten discovers Stoutland has... "vanished" (shoutouts to Bulbapedia) and starts looking for him, Litten sees that he's nowhere to be found. The whole sequence is supposed to be sad; there's no need to use casual music during the search then pausing it when Stoutland isn't there. The same goes for Meowth's scene at Bewear's base. The melancholic music itself was actually decent, it's just that it gets constantly interrupted when it really shouldn't.

Last edited:
I will. I just find it funny how here everyone's explaining pros and cons of both versions while mostly respecting other's while at Serebii it's mostly the opposite.
Different parts of the internet have their own ways of doing things, whoever would have guessed

Being rabid about your disdain for any particular take on a series is just...childish

The dub has its moments, but if I have access to the japanese audio, I will switch to that in a heartbeat
Exceptions include the opening battle in Mewtwo Strikes Back, since (heretical opinion incoming) the first japanese opening isn't all that great (Although the later remixes/remasters are less grinding on the ears

Ash has brought Stoutland to the Pokémon Center where he has to have a Nurse Joy cure it. But sadly, a Nurse Joy stated that he wasn't able to cure Stoutland. So did you know why you think? And do you think that Stoutland wasn't eligible for the Poké Ride of Stoutland Search?

Well, this was one emotional episode. The episode itself was quite very well-written.

So, Litten is learning Fire Fang, eh?! That's cool. (y)

Like how Rowlet greeted Litten on their meeting.

Eh.. is it really uncommon for Pokémon of two different species to live together in the Pokémon world? :unsure::unsure:

Meowth deciding to get involved in Litten's case was plain awesome. Another instance that shows how caring Team Rocket really is, despite their evil personas.

So, Litten carried Stoutland back to their place all by itself, and that too, without notice? I wonder. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Um... yes, I did expect Stoutland to simply disappear, and what do ya know. I call cliché! :D

Poor Litten! That last leaf falling off and about, really struck the heart strings there. :cry::cry: Though, I must appreciate the clever use of the tree leaves as a symbol of Stoutland's life. Quite impressive writing. (y)(y)

Poor Meowth! It just wanted to help.

That Stoutland cloud formation! (y):(

So, Ash does catch the Litten after all. That's great! I was quite surprised by this turn of events TBH, but I am quite happy for both Ash and Litten here.

Yeah... This was quite the emotional episode. I like how the anime handled the proposed death of Stoutland, considering it usually refrains from dealing in such a mature topic. A memorable episode indeed! ;)

Just had the pleasure, well the sadness of rewatching this episode on POP and even now, it still brings tears to my eyes, Lisa Ortiz did a great job voice directing this episode and an especially good job voicing Litten grieving for Stoutland

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom