• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP24: Alolan Open House!

My thoughts exactly. I wonder if it's the person who's doing Wobbuffet's new voice? Anyway, this was a good good episode all thanks to Delia showing up, where was she this whole time? Team Skull finally showing up since episode 11, a presentation that Ash was so not prepared for kinda like me in a way in which I tend to be late AF when it comes to some of my projects and the biggest thing about this Delia getting to battle oh yes! It was also great having to see everyone else's families showing up too and more Mimo who is definitely my favorite in terms of recurring characters in sun and moon so far, she's just too cute. I will give this episode an 8.5/10 also for no TR.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder if it's the person who's doing Wobbuffet's new voice? Anyway, this was a good good episode all thanks to Delia showing up, where was she this whole time? Team Skull finally showing up since episode 11, a presentation that Ash was so not prepared for kinda like me in a way in which I tend to be late AF when it comes to some of my projects and the biggest thing about this Delia getting to battle oh yes! It was also great having to see everyone else's families showing up too and more Mimo who is definitely my favorite in terms of recurring characters in sun and moon so far, she's just too cute. I will give this episode an 8.5/10 also for no TR.
I'm starting to feel Erica Schroeder voices Mimey now just like Jessie's Wobbuffet after Kayzie retired, and what's more, Mimey sounds more like Serena's Pancham in one point.

I'm starting to feel Erica Schroeder voices Mimey now just like Jessie's Wobbuffet after Kayzie retired, and what's more, Mimey sounds more like Serena's Pancham in one point.
I guess maybe Shroceder might the new voice for all of Kayzie's roles after all due to how similar she's doing it like. Pancham though? Never caught on to that but I can sort of see that influence.

This is another episode that is one my favorites of SM so far and that I couldn't wait to see dubbed. Happily, I found it was just as enjoyable dubbed as it was in Japanese!

I worry when Ash inflicts his voice certain ways in Japanese or does certain imitations how the dub will address it. I have to say, they absolutely nailed Ash's "old man" voice! It was so hilarious. I love it when the dub actually nails stuff down like that and carries it over well from the original.

Delia is such a fantastic character, it was so great to have her around for the episode. Her dub voice can be pretty weak at times, but her personality still comes across well. I adored the nicknames she gave to Ash's Pokémon and the affect she had on them, particularly Litten (or, as Delia dubbed it, "Litty.") Her battling Team Skull was awesome too. I would love to see more of Delia in the show!

Ash cheating on the assignment was also so Ash. His anxiety when Rotomdex was starting to go too fast was hysterical, especially as the classmates caught on. Like I said in the original, I do wish Professor Kukui scolded Ash a bit more for cheating, but I think his intentions (to have Ash speak moreso from the heart and get over his nerves to be so "smart") came across better in the dub than the original (which, of course, could solely be because I understand English and not Japanese.) Kind of like the ideal, understanding teacher!

Also found it interesting that when Ash asked Mallow and Kiawe where their parents were, Mallow said her parents were working at the restaurant. Does this mean she has a mother we'll see one day?? I hope so, I'm all for these SM families! Also have to give the writers credit for including the reality of children with working parents. Nice portrayal there for sure.

Oh, and Lana's face whenever she spoke about/watched her sisters and mother. So fabulous. I relate so strongly to her.

Could it really be Schroeder as Mr. Mime? Sounded a bit like Knotz to me, but either way, that was a better impression than Wobbuffet is if it's Schroeder. If it's not either, whoever did that has the only dub voice I didn't cringe at in the episode besides Kukui's.

"Dexey Wexey" is definitely one of the worst pet names TPCi has come up with for something, ever, imo.

Dub kept 4 pieces of OST, two of them were oddly Team Skull, idk why because they replaced it before: then again, 4 is pretty much the average kept in this Season so far so it's typical.

Sarah is very inappropriately cast for Delia, as always, I still can't stand it.

Her Ash is still inconsistent, I could literally hear it become effeminate at times, sad because she's been around longer than Taylor and I still don't find her nearly as good or better.

Glad there was no TR, for obvious reasons, and Lillie still sounds 20 years too old.

Overall, same old underwhelming dub.

I ended up really enjoying this.

I loved how the premise of this episode was Ash being so utterly nervous for his school presentation that he was stressing out. It's a nice, realistic situation that kids go through. And of course having a plot that revolves around the school is always nice. I love how aggressive Ro-dex was being with Ash, trying to force him to look at his data. Also, Ash's voice when he was thinking of becoming older was oddly funny.

I love that this episode had so many sweet, adorable moments. Litten being cuddled by Delia for the entire episode and also being embarrassed by it, Sampson's Vulpix showing up and being pet by Delia, Hobbs showing up for Lillie, Sophecles being a cutie waving to his parents, Harper and Sarah being so interested in everything related to the school, Togedemaru's existence; everything was so adorable. Also, I loved Delia giving all of Ash's Pokemon nicknames.

Alright, I get that Rotom just wants to help his trainer, but c'mon, trying to cheat? I would have expected Rotom to try to help Ash practice, not be the one to actually offer to cheat for him. And I was seriously irritated by the fact that he didn't get a single shred of a punishment. I know Kukui is supposed to be this super chill and lax teacher, but c'mon man. Give these kids a scolding when they rightfully deserve it.

Okay, I'm getting really annoyed with this Team Skull trio. They seem to be nothing other than Alolan TR and just show up for a few minutes to cause trouble and get blasted away with Gigavolt Havoc. It's nice to see the evil team so early, but having them show up at the near ends of episodes for a ridiculously short skirmish is just boring. I'd almost rather they not show up at all.

But all and all this was a cute episode. I'll give it an 8/10.

I like how they used audio clips from Kayzie's Mr.Mime (SM001), for the 'Who's that Pokemon' segment. Whoever is voicing him now did a pretty decent job IMO, especially the part where he meets Rockruff and Rowlet it sounded very similar to Kayzie Rogers.

Would've found it funny had Ash said "it's Mum and Dad!" upon seeing Mr Mime.

Lol at Rotom just casually saying Ash has an 80% chance of failing

Ash you no good cheater.

They should've got more mad about the cheating lmao

Thought Sopcholes Dad was Brock then. That flash back.

Ash's mum not mentioning for Ash to change his underwear every day. Is she even the same woman!?

Eh nothing episode

This episode was more uneventful than I thought it would be, but it was definitely a better filler than last episode. Some highlights in my opinion were:

-Ash acting like an old man when he was studying
-Delia's nicknames for Ash's Pokémon, and Litten's reactions to her doting on it
-Rotom filling in for Ash during his presentation, and blowing his cover
-The battle with Team Skull

Some dub-specific thoughts:
-Sarah Natochenny nailed Ash's "old man" voice, and the "where's my oatmeal" line was great.
-Mr. Mime was recast as expected. While I like Kayzie Rogers's performance better, the new VA (who sounds like is Erica Schroeder, like Wobbuffet – makes sense, as they have similar ranges) is not a bad soundalike. I do wonder why they used stock audio for "Who's that Pokémon" but not in the episode itself, though.
-Rotom no longer naming the Z-Crystals to the beat of the Pose ending was unfortunate, but dub viewers who haven't heard it wouldn't get the reference anyway.
-I was surprised they kept Rotom's "roto" tic as a giveaway that Ash was cheating. The game localizations made him use a lot of "z" sounds instead, but the anime dub's been more-or-less ignoring it until now.

It's Delia and Mimey! What a surprise! :eek::X3:

Oh, so, Ash is preparing a report to be given on Open House. Wonder how that'll go out. :unsure:

Delia's nicknames for Ash's Pokémon were... cheesy to say the least! Eh... then again, I am not a big fan of Pokémon nicknames anyways. :rolleyes:

Like how Litten is still cold to outsiders. Delia with dem powers to calm Litten tho! :eek::cool:

Good to see that old lady from before. I honestly thought we'd not see much of her now with the Litten mini-arc(?) solved. Hope she keeps making reappearances. (y)

Where's Mimo?! :cry:

Nice seeing Rotom's voice sampling mechanic being put to use. Though, I would have preferred some other premise. :LOL::D:LOL: Liked how Ash's classmates saw something fishy in his presentation.

Ash's presentation was beautiful to say the least. (y)

Ugh! Team Skull just doesn't learn. Poor Mimey! I actually wanted Delia to battle with it. :( I mean, when was the last time we saw it battle?! Oh well, maybe some other time.

I LOL'd when Delia proposed to take Litten with her to Kanto. Ash and Litten's reactions were priceless here. :LOL: Turns out she was just joking.

Well, the episode was well-written and was quite good actually. I'll give it a 9/10.

I guess maybe Shroceder might the new voice for all of Kayzie's roles after all due to how similar she's doing it like. Pancham though? Never caught on to that but I can sort of see that influence.
-Mr. Mime was recast as expected. While I like Kayzie Rogers's performance better, the new VA (who sounds like is Erica Schroeder, like Wobbuffet – makes sense, as they have similar ranges) is not a bad soundalike. I do wonder why they used stock audio for "Who's that Pokémon" but not in the episode itself, though.

You'll probably be surprised to find out Shroceder didn't voice Mimey after all, answers to come once approved for Bulbapedia

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom