• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP26: So Long, Sophocles!

I don't see it on the site.

EDIT: Nevermind, I needed to expand the season further.

Last edited:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klM2xJJVGt4

Here's the Who's That Pokemon!?

Cast Listing for this Episode (for @BigDocFan )
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Roger Parsons
Rebecca Becker
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Ryan William Downey
Abe Goldfarb
Emily Jenness
Michele Knotz
Lisa Ortiz
Haven Paschall
Carrie Savage
Eileen Stevens
Marc Thompson

Back to reviewing episodes after my hiatus from here. Last week's episode had TR vs Team Skull what wasn't too love about about that one? Now for this week's episode, I should've guessed Sophocles wasn't going to leave because of the title and that he's still a character who needs time for himself after having done nothing other trying to get Ash's Electrium-Z powered up from episode 19. I did like that Ash actually went out of his way to get a Pokemon for his friend let alone a Charjabug of all things, no TR as I like to point out, Mimo is here again wow they must really love her to bring her in almost every episode since #23! The ending got me yes, I finally now love Sophocles and always his voice actor of course so yeah this episode made me care for him good on you writers. So I'll give this episode an 8.5/10.

Great job by the dub today: 5th 1 piece kept in the season now, just wonderful.

Acting's as lousy as ever, nothing new there, only Sophocles and Kiawe's VAs seemed to even try.

Script is less stupid than usual on the flip side, but overall, ugh for me.

Another new name joins the dub, Rebecca Becker (who plays Cara in Heroes of the City), also Carrie Savage showing up was a surprise, she's in a lot of stuff like Fairy Tail, the Final Fantasy series, GITS: SAC and a lot of Funimation shows.

Great job by the dub today: 5th 1 piece kept in the season now, just wonderful.

Acting's as lousy as ever, nothing new there, only Sophocles and Kiawe's VAs seemed to even try.

Script is less stupid than usual on the flip side, but overall, ugh for me.
I'm still waiting for the day to arrive in which the dub will use dub music only. TPCi is greedy enough to pull that move off so. I'm also fairly certain that Billy Bob Thompson is voicing Chargabug considering that he sounds a lot like Greninja with a metal sound effect applied to his voice.

I'm still waiting for the day to arrive in which the dub will use dub music only. TPCi is greedy enough to pull that move off so. I'm also fairly certain that Billy Bob Thompson is voicing Chargabug considering that he sounds a lot like Greninja with a metal sound effect applied to his voice.

My guess is Abe Goldfarb as most actors in the anime voice the whole evolutionary line

Could be wrong

I really thought this was a great Sophocles episode. I like his character and I thought it was fun to have an episode that really centered around him. I thought this episode did a great job of showcasing how close the classmates are and how good of friends they all are. It's still pretty early on in the series, but in all honesty, I haven't felt that the group of main characters has been this close for quite some time. I find the relationships to be very authentic and believable.

Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld is great as Sophocles. I much prefer her voice as him than I did as Bonnie. His emotions were portrayed really well, nothing came across as flat or over-the-top. I also still adore Mimo's voice. She really sounds like a little girl when she talks, which is something I've always felt like the dub has struggled with (Max and Bonnie, for example, really just don't sound like kids to me. I'm assuming Mimo is meant to be younger, but her voice is just much more believable.)

I also have to say I LOVED the "Who's That Pokémon?" segment. I'm loving how they've done different characters each time (let's see how long that lasts, like XY's title card they never bothered to change...) but having Sophocles cry during it was absolutely brilliant. Gives me hope they might not screw this up.

Oh, and Sophocles' parents are messes. Sweet characters, but not the brightest. I mean they don't hear their son crying and freaking out at night (right after they talk to him) and go ask him what's wrong? They don't tell him they're only moving down the street? I know the plot of this episode can't exist without those things, but still. Weird.

Agreed on both accounts.

This reminded me of Glitter Force in which Lily tried playing an April Fools joke on her friends by telling them she was moving away only for them to believe it without her getting the chance to tell them it was April Fools till it was way too late. In both instances everyone was just happy the person wasn't moving away but I would've like to see some revenge! have Pikachu and others attack Sophcles or something. Also how dare you make Lille cry. Although I did like what the cast did for him, was cute and showed their closeness. All I could think though was "Kiwae lives on a different island and comes over every day so you could too..."

Good episode tho, although I would've enjoyed it more had I not seen the exact same premise from another anime lol.

Also that was a really weak Chargabug.

I normally don't like when a story's ending makes the rest seem pointless, but I thought it was well-done here. The emotions still felt realistic, and I like how each classmate said goodbye in their own way. And Sophocles finally gets some *gasp* actual character development! And a Charjabug to boot.

I thought the dub performances were especially good in this episode – Lana's and Kiawe's in particular. Sophocles was a bit of a crybaby, but that fits his character and the animation. Charjabug had a cool voice too.

Man this was easily one of the best episodes in a while. Of course Togedemaru and Sophocles' cuteness helped out with that.:D First of all, can I just say that this episode had some seriously adorable and hilarious moments. My favorite things were Togedemaru seeing and reaching for the food in Sophocles' thoughts, Sophocles' realistic looking keyboard, Togedamaru not understanding the things Sophocles was talking about and needing visual aids from his Pikachu hologram projector, both of their adorable crying and Pikachu playing in Popplio's balloon in the background of class. This episode was a serious cuteness overload.

I like that Sophecles gave everyone information on where to buy sweets as a sort of farewell gift, and I love how Kiawe brought up that Mimo would like it. I liked how Lana was super suspicious about his behavior. But overall it was so adorable seeing how close they all are and how they wanted to do so much for him before he "moved". Kiawe taking him to the volcano and Lana taking him to see a Wailord were super cute moments :D.I especially enjoyed the latter scene since Lana and Sophocles being my favorite classmates. I also want to start shipping them now. I also like how Sohpy wanted to get Kiawe a present in return.

Oh and can I just say that I loved how they actually had Sophocles crying during the Who's that Pokemon :p

I have to say that Sophocles has a strange imagination. Then again, it was kind of fitting seeing him imagining Ash acting so over the top when he's been super energetic this series. :ROFLMAO: I liked that they invited Mimo to the party as well. It's always cute to see Kiawe's big brother persona. Lillie crying at the party was so touching. To see how sad she was at the thought of her first friend leaving was sweet. And of course Ash and Rotom's gift of giving him a brand new Pokemon was great.

I can feel Sophocles' struggles. If I told my friends I was moving only to find out later that it wouldn't be that far, I'd be nervous about telling them the truth too. Esepcially if they were throwing me a party and sharing special moments with me. Though I am kind of confused why Sophocles' parents didn't just tell him that they weren't moving that far when he first talked to them about it. I was also surprised that none of the class seemed upset at the fact that he waited so long to tell them, though. I thought at the very least that Kiawe would have been annoyed for a second. But whatever. It was cute seeing Togedemaru becoming happy and shocking everyone at the end. :p And of course I loved Rotom's photos.

Great episode for Sophy and Togedemaru. 9/10 :D.

Only one piece of music being kept is depressing. It's like being sent back to 4Kids' Advanced era.

Makes me miss the DP days. Actual regular intervals of silence, and while it wasn't always the case, at least TPCi would keep important music.

To be honest, I don't get why they don't just use dub music only in the first place. They're getting money from it, so I mean... why not? TPCi is already so close to doing that. At this point, if I were in charge I'd say go for it. I'd rather just have an all Goldfarb score than be teased.

It'd also stop complaints about how little music is being kept. *snicker*

Only one piece of music being kept is depressing. It's like being sent back to 4Kids' Advanced era.

Makes me miss the DP days. Actual regular intervals of silence, and while it wasn't always the case, at least TPCi would keep important music.
Oh, 4Kids' Advanced era was definitely better than TPCi's XY and SM era on OST kept, you're completely off: even late BW was worse than late AG, really...you have no idea how bad things have gotten on the music replacing under TPCi in the last few years: we only had 5 1/XXs in the entire 4Kids dub, and TPCi has had 16 1/XXs in their dub, 10 of which are from the last 2 seasons of the dub.

And I don't miss the DP days where I feel the voice acting and script writing decreased in quality dramatically from AG, not to mention the opening theme length got shortened too, but if you wanted like 20% more OST than in AG with random silent parts at the cost of all of that, that's your opinion.

A Sophocles focus episode? Let's see how it works out.

That emotion-changing application is awesome. Now, I want one for myself. :p

Poor Sophocles! I totally feel ya. :(:cry:

Is Togedemaru so unintelligible to not understand human speech? Last I checked, she wasn't. o_O

So, Sophocles finally tells the group that he is moving. The disappointment on their faces was heart-warming. Still, I like how they wanted Sophocles to not feel sad about it. (y)

Kiawe's surprise was so beautiful... :eek::cool:(y)

So, the family is just moving down the street, and that too for just a week. The classmates' imagined reactions were just hilarious, especially Lana's... Man I wish I was so lucky IRL. TBH, I felt Sophocles's concerns were unfounded here, but eh... I guess I can understand how he feels.

Lana's present was amazing. :cool:

Oh, Lillie crying at the party was so touching. To see how sad she was at the thought of her first friend leaving was sweet.

See, I told ya, Sophocles! There was no reason to worry after all. :rolleyes: And congrats on that new Charjabug of yours. (y)

Man, this episode was so well written. I could totally relate with Sophocles here, having gone through such a heart-breaking episode myself in my life once. An easy 10/10.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom