• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP27: A Glaring Rivalry!

I'll agree with the majority that this was a pretty disappointing debut for Gladion. But it had its moments.

First of all, I don't know what the deal was with the Skull grunts at the beginning. Was it just to show that Gladion wasn't working with Team Skull like he was in the games? At any rate, for some reason they chose to make Team Rocket the antagonist of the episode later on so their inclusion feels pointless.

(I'd be lying if I said Bewear "singing" during the blastoff didn't make me grin a little though.)

Basically, my overall beef with this episode is if we didn't know Gladion was a recurring game character and thus likely would reappear in the anime, this could pass for your average "unbeatable Trainer" CoTD episode, where the TRio tries to steal both their Pokémon and Pikachu, and they work together to defeat them, gaining newfound respect in the process. I feel like it would've been better if the episode began with Gladion ditching Team Skull, and they showed up later instead of Team Rocket to steal his Lycanroc as "revenge". Or something. Just anything but that cliché CoTD plot. He also barely interacted with Lillie, when I feel she should've watched the battle, giving a greater sense of tension between the three.

Also, has Disney XD gone back to the practice of crushing the credits so they can show more ads? C'mon, guys, I thought you were better than that. Even if it's restored on home video releases, it might discourage TPCi from using and updating the Japanese ending animation in the future.

I liked Umbreon's dub voice (sounds like Gladion has a female Umbreon) and despised Midnight Lycanroc, who sounds like it's trying to be batman

Gladion sounded glad that Lillie was starting to get over her fear of pokémon and it's nice to see a rival who cares for their pokémon

Gladion will always be "Glade-eon" to me

Oh, so Gladion finally debuts in the anime. He's one of my favorite characters from the Generation VII games, so it was great seeing him in the episode.

The background music during Team Skull and Gladion's encounter was pretty awesome by my word. I have a feeling it has been used before, but I don't remember it being used to such a large extent. IT WAS GREAT! (y):X3:

Umm... No, Skull Bash against a Lycanroc is not the best move IMO. I think you should use a Water-type move instead, Sailor guy! Of course, you lost. :rolleyes:

So, Lillie reveals to Ash that Gladion is her brother. Aw, I so wanted Gladion to go back to the mansion, but eh, maybe next time.

Ash trying to support his case with the Tapu Koko mention LMAO. :p

Little Gladion is so cute! :love::X3::love: Liked learning more about Gladion's Umbreon. (y)

So, Gladion accepts Ash's challenge after all. That's great!

Err... I still wish to know why Bewear cares about Team Rocket the way it does... Also, that Alolan sunrise was beautiful.

Hmm... I don't know what to feel about the new Dark Pulse animation. The previous one was plain awesome; the new one kinda looked like Shadow Ball IMO. :unsure::unsure:

Great seeing Continental Crush in the anime. :X3::love:

Argh! School time means no battle continuation; that's sad. :( Also, a bit weird how Lillie didn't see Gladion walking away, even if she was far away. Like how did she not notice him leaving her line of vision as she was leaving? o_O

All in all, I'd say that this episode did full justice to one of the awesome characters from the Generation VII games. It was great having Gladion debut in the anime, and I hope he reappears soon. (y)(y)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom