• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP28: Pulling Out the Pokémon Base Pepper!

I wonder how many edits they changed for this episode? I mean, it has so many Japanese kanji here... And how did they carry on with the Scyther/Strike pun gag?

Cast for @BigDocFan
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons
Sam Black
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Carter Cathcart
Abe Goldfarb
Melissa Hope
Emily Jenness
Michele Knotz
Micheal Liscio Jr.
Mike McFarland
Lisa Ortiz
Jake Paque
Haven Paschall
Erica Schroeder
Eileen Stevens
Billy Bob Thompson
Marc Thompson

Sam Black, Mike McFarland and Jake Paque are the only actors I see listed without a confirmed role

Having watched the entire episode, I thought this was quite fun.

Is it me or does Snorlax sound different than usual

Last edited:
Sam Black, Mike McFarland and Jake Paque are the only actors I see listed without a confirmed role

Having watched the entire episode, I thought this was quite fun.

Is it me or does Snorlax sound different than usual
I'm fairly certain that that's how Snorlax sounded during his one appearance in the XY season too.

I wonder how many edits they changed for this episode? I mean, it has so many Japanese kanji here... And how did they carry on with the Scyther/Strike pun gag?
The Scyther joke was removed completely due to them dubbing his voice. All the (Z-Move) names were removed too. Cause God forbid that the editor(s) over at DuArt actually put in some effort to make their paychecks worth it.

The Scyther joke was removed completely due to them dubbing his voice. All the (Z-Move) names were removed too. Cause God forbid that the editor(s) over at DuArt actually put in some effort to make their paychecks worth it.
Thanks in advance. I knew they would edit that.

LOL, it just occurred to me that Scyther's Japanese name is strike now that you guys brought it up. When, it was happening, I just assumed it was because Scythe was probably as close to Strike as they would get but that's hella clever~

Anyway, episode was fine for a filler. Pretty funny, I suppose. I thought Team Rocket would get close to winning and then Bewear would swipe them away, but of course, he had to make it more painful for Jessie by stopping her from getting the autograph, LMAO. Though, can't say Jessie didn't deserve it since she thought it would be better to gloat than run. Lesson learned, sis~

Best part was seeing the Pokemon take part, made it much more funny~ I loved Snowy catching the ball following Lillie's fail.

Wow, what a insufferable episode to watch in the dub. So much poor dialogue all round, especially with Team Rocket, then again what did I expect?

Also Mike McFarland of Funimation fame showed up, Sam Black seems to be a new face and Melissa Hope from D&P came back.

This episode was fine and definitely Anime as hell with this being a Baseball episode:D. I noticed that Snorlax's voice was diffrent from what I remembered, maybe because Bill Rogers didn't voice it in this episode and it was probably someone new. It was interesting to be getting a sports episode now of all times cuz when did we have an episode like this before? Anyways, I'll give this a 7/10 it at least entertained me enough.

This episode was fine and definitely Anime as hell with this being a Baseball episode:D. I noticed that Snorlax's voice was diffrent from what I remembered, maybe because Bill Rogers didn't voice it in this episode and it was probably someone new. It was interesting to be getting a sports episode now of all times cuz when did we have an episode like this before? Anyways, I'll give this a 7/10 it at least entertained me enough.

Snorlax isn't one of Bill Roger's work, last confirmed actor was James Carter Cathcart

The Scyther gag wasn't omitted, but changed. "Scyther" said "Sythe", in a way that sounded like "Safe". I actually thought they might go with that pun.

Dub kept only 3 pieces of OST today, a bit worse than the usual fare for SM dub standards I suppose, but this one was absolutely terrible in terms of the script writing/dialogue dubbed, so many rewrites (TR getting the worst of them with "dig it," "lugs," "oy vey," "mugs," "mine all mine," various alliterations etc.), Ash as well as Mallow too w/a few ("beat the heat," "let er' rip, "show em your pepper bud," even Samson Oak got worse puns like "Rockruff n' roll" than usual dubbed), and the voice acting is still pretty weak too, just a super poor one this week (which is saying a lot for TPCi's "standards").

Also, of course the kanji is gone, replaced with...nothing as usual, but that's unimportant.

As for Mike McFarland, for once I feel like Oluolu in the dub could be him since I heard traces of something like his Master Roshi at times and the dub Oluolu sounded too old at times imo, but I could very well be wrong since I'm not good at VA guesses anyway.

Last edited:
This episode was fun, but not quite as fun as it was in Japanese. The Scyther joke obviously got lost in translation, which is unfortunate but not really preventable. But some of the other dub dialogue, which was preventable, was just bad. Team Rocket, as always (especially Meowth) and how many times did they want to use the term "pepper"? It was overkill. Like we get it, it was in the title. But they said it 3-4 times and it was just too much, too repetitive.

Kiawe, Lana, and Jessie were the highlights for me. I thought they had the funniest reactions, lines, etc. The faces were super funny, especially when the hitting/pitching were being compared to Z-Moves. It was also really nice to see Pulverizing Pancake for the first time. And I liked getting a bit more world building on Alola.

I do have to say I really laughed when Lillie was like "I read about catching in a book once!" before panicking and curling up in a ball. So relatable.

As for Mike McFarland, for once I feel like Oluolu in the dub could be him since I heard traces of something like his Master Roshi at times and teh dub Oluolu sounded too old at times imo, but I could very well be wrong since I'm not good at VA guesses anyway.

I see a theme if Mike McFarland did voice Oluolu because both he and Toru Furuya who voiced Oluolu both voiced Baseball player Yamcha in Dragon Ball

EDIT:
Just seen on Facebook, Mike McFarland is confirmed

EDIT:
My bad, Sabat voiced Yamcha, not Mike

Last edited:
As I expected from the start, this episode was hilarious.

I just have to laugh at Olu'olu's Snorlax. It just looks so massively fat, more so than any other Snorlax seen before. Ash's massive enthusiasm for Pokemon Base was a whole was really amusing. I also loved that the kids named their swings and pitches after their Z-moves. It would have been a bit more enjoyable if they did the poses as well. :p And of course the Oricorio were adorable.

Lana and Popplio were probably my favorite parts of the episode. Seeing Lana imagine that her bat was a fishing rod and destroying Kiawe by getting a home run was awesome. And the move she made later on where she had Popplio use his balloon to catch the ball was amazing. Also Popplio was adorable hitting the ball with just his flipper. Poor guy should have worn a mitt though. Steenee, Mallow, Sophocles, Togedemaru, Lillie and Shiron were adorable with their antics as well, but Lana just stole the show for me. Litten playing around with the baseball was cute too. I kind of wish would would have seen him playing in the game though.

Pulverizing Pancake was just awesome. Seeing it utterly flatten TR's Pokemon was just great. Overall this episode far exceeded my expectations. If only they had done without TR, this episode would have been perfect. 8/10 :D

Loved Kiawe as pitcher in this episode.

"INFERNO OVERDRIVE...BAAALLLL!!! HIYAH!!!"

And that face he makes when Lana hits the home run is just priceless, he looks like a decomposing corpse.

Last edited:
Wait, Mike Mcfalrand was Oluolu? Cool. I can definitely here it now. He should voice more characters when he can.

Like most fillers, this episode was ultimately pointless and doesn't
even make that much sense on its own, yet I decided to turn off my brain and enjoy it regardless.

So was the Electabuzz team a subtle (or not-so-subtle) reference to Johto or what? Anyway, it seems like Ash and co. have a new interest every week: whether it's Alolan Detective Laki, the Pancake Race, DJ Leo or whatever. I guess that fits kids their age that tend to have obsessions that phase in and out. Well, whatever. The real question is why both school teams are wearing the same uniform. Doesn't make much sense, especially with the comparatively smaller count they have.

And how was their match against Team Rocket even at all, especially with Oluolu playing? It's the whole school minus Kukui and Oak and their Pokémon against the Rocket trio and their three Pokémon, right? Well, like I said, I tried to ignore the details and just watch the episode. And speaking of which, it was pretty nice-looking too, with seamless traditions between the cleaner standstills and the exaggerated expressions and motions. I know the art direction of this series is divisive at best, but it really stands out (in a good way) in episodes like these. Also, I LOLed at Bewear scooping Jessie up like an overprotective dad before she could get the athlete's autograph.

As for the dub edits...well, in a perfect world they wouldn't exist but I can live with them. The Scyther/Strike pun was pretty short-sighted on the part of the Japanese writers – they should know by now it won't work with the Pokémon's localized names. The erasal of the Z-Move and player subtitles was a shame, though an understandable and predictable one. I guess it just wouldn't be feasible to make custom ones for every language when they're just flavor text at the end of the day. On a side note, I've noticed a lot of the "Japanese" things the writers have been avoiding since Kanto have been coming back this series on a lesser scale, like crude humor, untranslatable puns and Japanese text. I recommend this episode to Kanto fans, because a lot of this episode reminds me of the "anything goes" style it had.

My favourite part was the nod to the Electabuzz baseball team from the Johto season, I wonder how Casey would have reacted, happy they made it to the Final 2 or sad at coming so close to winning the whole thing but losing to the Magikarp.
Remembering they used to finish bottom of the league I imagine she would be happy proud overall in the end.

The episode was OK as a filler but probably not one I could watch again. At least we got to see pulverising pancake as well. Felt really sorry for Jessie at the end.

Last edited:
That baseball game doesn't look dangerous at all.

and I guess this isn't the same Magiarp and Electabuzz teams from Poke-Japan because there was an Alolan Exeggutor there, so if it were the same then why were Ash and others confused about it... when there was one on the baseball team... I wonder if the Alolan (so USA) Baseball teams or Japanese ones came first and who is ripping off the other.

They watched it but don't know the rules. K den. Guess its the American Baseball league after all. Although why does the base player have asian/old style eyes? weird. Especially since he's supposed to be American.

The girls look hella cute in their outfits at least. Good stuff. Shame it's not football, an actual sport I follow lol.

Random Sycther. Who's is it?!

Poplio cheated. Lmao surely Togedemaru should be DQed for that. Lol well that was just unfair on Ash with Turtonator. Then again, with Mallow bent over, I'd be distracted myself.

That girly scream from Kiawe. Also still dying from all the cute girls dressed up. Mainly Lana.

How is a pro baseball player playing for Ash's team fair lmfao.

I'm expecting Snorlax to Pulvarising Pancake Team Rocket. Ps, Didn't realise Mallow was the only one with legs showing. Nice.

RIP Kiwae. Death by Snorlax. We hardly knew you.

Pancake. Called it.

I don't understand baseball but Wobbufet caught the ball before getting murdered. Surely that should've meant Snorlax was out? I guess you can body slam the catcher to form them to drop it? weird sport.

Fun episode. Best part was dress up. The girls were hella cute. I'm glad there's more than one girl this time round.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom