• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP30: The Ol' Raise and Switch!

Reaction score
SM030 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

The episode is already on Watch Disney XD Pokemon: S20 E30: The Ol' Raise and Switch! | Season 20 Episode 30 Full Episode - WatchDisneyXD.com

The Who's That Pokemon for this episode:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7KJMqECM0A&feature=youtu.be

Cast List (for @BigDocFan )
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons
Rebecca Becker
Kate Bristol
Sam Black
Roger Callagy
Abe Goldfarb
Emily Jenness
Michele Knotz
Michael Liscio Jr.
Mike McFarland
Lisa Ortiz
Haven Paschall
Ben Phillips
Sean Reyes
Bill Rogers
Erica Schroeder
Eileen Stevens
Marc Thompson

Let me just do a quick review of last week's episode: It was pretty good for a filler and unlike episode 28 which I watched once and never again this one in particular once was actually pretty interesting to see and Morelull stays looking cute but creepy which I feel was appropriate for what the episode was about. I give that episode a 7.5/10. Now for this week's episode! 1st off loved that the Dub used a Battle frontier title from 1 of my fave episodes from that season, everyone swapping Pokemon was nice to see and having them learn from each other was good, Lillie definitely got the most attention here because she's trying to cope with Pikachu, but she managed to finally warm up to it and heck even had a battle against Ash but we don't know what came of it. Also like last week's episode no TR I wonder what they're doing now. I will give this episode an 8.5/10 for having development and again for being pretty entertaining.

This was a pretty entertaining filler, and once again shows how SM can do them well without resorting to the tired CoTD formula. Some thoughts:
-Poor Kiawe. As of right now he doesn't have any Pokémon small or fast enough to keep up with the others.
-Mallow and Sophocles and Lana and Kiawe? I would've swapped those pairs around since I feel their personalities contrast more, but I guess the latter two have that fire/water thing going on.
-The old lady's calling Litten "Litty" now? Wasn't that Ash's mom's name for it?
-As expected, Snowy's a bit of an ice queen. I like how it was Litten that got her to warm up to the group.
-Whoa, those are some Pachirisu shenanigans Togedemaru's getting into. And d'aww at Steenee for comforting Sophocles's fear of the dark.
-While the battle between Lillie-commanded Pikachu and Oricorio was nice, I didn't really understand what all that talk of gaining his trust was about. He seemed open to hanging out with her from the get-go. It was more like he needed to gain her trust.
-Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I like the violin leitmotif the dub uses for Lillie's scenes. It just fits her well in my opinion.
Overall, solid dub of a solid episode!

I have a really good feeling that Snowy WILL evolve into an Alolan Ninetales when the class finally gets around to making a field trip to Ulaula Island/Mt. Lanakila (maybe around SM060 or so?).

Oooh, Mike McFarland made a second appearance today. Not sure who he voiced.

Yeah, now having seen the part at Mallow's restaurant, he's definitely the guy with the blue beard. No doubt about it.

Oooh, Mike McFarland made a second appearance today. Not sure who he voiced.
Well, third, with his first being Teaque from Best Wishes. Unless he's done another one before that.

This is probably one of my favorite episodes so far!~ I love the idea of the main cast switching Pokemon. It's something you think would have happened more often in the past 20 years than it has. I enjoy seeing how other characters deal with each others' Pokemon since they do see them very often and should be well familiarized with them to the point that they should be comfortable taking care of them for a couple days.

It was expected there were problems at first but they resolved nicely. I think my favorite was actually Steenee helping Sophocles get to sleep :'3 I thought that was so cute of her to climb in bed with him since I didn't think she would as she's not his Pokemon but it was very sweet. Togedemaru's constant rolling ending up being helpful was also pretty funny. I expected Snowy to not be so fond of Ash since she is newly hatched and only really used to one person, but I thought it was interesting how she bonded with Litten out of all of them. I suppose because they're the most similar? Regardless, it was nice to see Ash train her. It kinda felt like one of those moments where you think, "Ash can train any Pokemon to battle". I really did have that thought when he was giving her back to Lillie XP

One thing I just want to point out that I consistently find odd about Pikachu's personality in this series is his behavior around Lillie. He knows Lillie is scared of Pokemon and I would think he'd act accordingly because of that (as he has in the past), yet when he's eating the food and stops because he sees her reaching towards him, he just suddenly starts eating again. He FULL WELL KNOWS sudden movements freak her out but he does it anyway, which I don't think any series Pikachu would have done before this series. It's not the first time he's done this and I just don't find that realistic other than because this series is like 69% gags. Other than that, I loved when they hugged after their battle with Oricorio, without even thinking about it. It was just so cute.

Only disappointment is we didn't get to see Lillie and Ash's battle, but the episode was still good. Solid 9/10 for me.

This is probably one of my favorite episodes so far!~ I love the idea of the main cast switching Pokemon. It's something you think would have happened more often in the past 20 years than it has. I enjoy seeing how other characters deal with each others' Pokemon since they do see them very often and should be well familiarized with them to the point that they should be comfortable taking care of them for a couple days.

It was expected there were problems at first but they resolved nicely. I think my favorite was actually Steenee helping Sophocles get to sleep :'3 I thought that was so cute of her to climb in bed with him since I didn't think she would as she's not his Pokemon but it was very sweet. Togedemaru's constant rolling ending up being helpful was also pretty funny. I expected Snowy to not be so fond of Ash since she is newly hatched and only really used to one person, but I thought it was interesting how she bonded with Litten out of all of them. I suppose because they're the most similar? Regardless, it was nice to see Ash train her. It kinda felt like one of those moments where you think, "Ash can train any Pokemon to battle". I really did have that thought when he was giving her back to Lillie XP

One thing I just want to point out that I consistently find odd about Pikachu's personality in this series is his behavior around Lillie. He knows Lillie is scared of Pokemon and I would think he'd act accordingly because of that (as he has in the past), yet when he's eating the food and stops because he sees her reaching towards him, he just suddenly starts eating again. He FULL WELL KNOWS sudden movements freak her out but he does it anyway, which I don't think any series Pikachu would have done before this series. It's not the first time he's done this and I just don't find that realistic other than because this series is like 69% gags. Other than that, I loved when they hugged after their battle with Oricorio, without even thinking about it. It was just so cute.

Only disappointment is we didn't get to see Lillie and Ash's battle, but the episode was still good. Solid 9/10 for me.

To be fair, Pikachu actually listens easily to whoever is close to Ash, he did it in XYZ for Serena as well and I believe someone else used him to battle before. The whole Pikachu being sudden for Lillie is just a gag mostly probably hinting at he was going to be the one to get her comfortable the easiest. The hugging scene in the sub was adorable but I didn't watch it in dub as yet but I am sure it will be. As for Snowy, she always disliked Ash since hatching, well most skeptical of him compared to the others. Was nice to see her train with Ash though!

To be fair, Pikachu actually listens easily to whoever is close to Ash, he did it in XYZ for Serena as well and I believe someone else used him to battle before. The whole Pikachu being sudden for Lillie is just a gag mostly probably hinting at he was going to be the one to get her comfortable the easiest.

Pikachu has listened to many of Ash's companions before: Misty, Brock, Dawn (IIRC). What I was saying was that I found Pikachu's inconsideration towards Lillie to be odd. In any other series with a character afraid of Pokemon, he was calm and still when they tried to pet him. When he stops eating as Lillie tries to do it here, he suddenly has to keep eating right as she's about to touch him? When he knows this scares her? Am I the only one thinking if this had been any other series he would have just not ate until she either petted him or chickened out?

Like I said, I understand because the series is running on more gags than usual but it's just so out of character for Pikachu to do this for a traveling companion whom Ash is close to. If he knows they'd be sacred of sudden movements, he wouldn't find food more important than possibly scaring the person.

This episode was good, but imo could have been much better.

I found it funny how Sophocles was excited for the assignment because he wanted to study non-electric types.I mean...he could have gone out and caught a Pokemon of a different type a long time ago. :p Similarly, I thought it was interesting that Lillie said she was happy for the assignment to learn to touch other Pokemon. Like, girl, you have an entire garden full of Pokemon and you haven't tried touching any of them? Even after Snowy hatched?o_O I really liked how Lana was nervous about the assignment and being away from Popplio. Plus I thought it was sweet that Kiawe was concerned about Harper and Sarah being afraid of Turtonator.

I liked that Snowy was nervous and a bit sad to be leaving Lillie. It must have been hard for the poor girl to go from Lillie's mansion to Kukui's little shack :p It was cute that Pikachu moved over for Lillie in the limo and for a moment I thought he'd be helpful to Lillie in this episode. But then he goes back to being annoying and focusing on food when she was trying to pet him:/ I liked how Litten was the one helping Snowy get adjusted to hanging with Ash. Also, I love how the shopkeeper called Litten Litty :D.

The classmates parts were sadly the weakest elements of the episode, though honestly I'm not surprised. Doing this assignment among 6 students was sure to give some of of them the short end of the stick. Add in the fact that this episodes was specifically for Lillie and yeah, screen time for the other 4 classmates was definitely going down. If this episode could have been an hour special, it would have been much better. I liked that we got to see Steenee helping Sophocles get to sleep after she didn't help him with his other stuff. And Togedemaru inadvertently helping Mallow with cleaning was nice to see. It was adorable when Togedemaru was rubbing up to with Mallow after the assignment was over. Popplio playing with Mimo was cute and I liked that he was able to help Kiawe with the Tauros situation. I didn't really like how Kiawe had previously just left Popplio sitting by himself while he went to do farm work. Unfortunately, Lana didn't get to do much with Turtonator other than wash his shell with Harper and Sarah. Disappointing that we couldn't have seen more of them.

The battle against Oricorio was too short for my tastes. I'm glad Lillie won, but it seemed like Oricorio went down so fast. Lillie becoming comfortable touching Pikachu was expected, so yay. Eh, this episode was fine, I just think it had potential to be so much more interesting. But obviously the lack of time to focus on 6 different people was obviously the biggest hindrance. I also think it would have been slightly cool and funny if the traded Pokemon had picked up on some things from the trainer they were traded to, kind of like the Adventures chapter where Red and Blue accidentally swapped Pokemon :p But that was pretty unlikely from the start, so whatever.

8/10.

I also think it would have been slightly cool and funny if the traded Pokemon had picked up on some things from the trainer they were traded to, kind of like the Adventures chapter where Red and Blue accidentally swapped Pokemon :p But that was pretty unlikely from the start, so whatever.
I seem to recall the PokéProblem segment from the Japanese version showing how Snowy had picked up Ash's eating habits, so you have that. :p

Pikachu has listened to many of Ash's companions before: Misty, Brock, Dawn (IIRC). What I was saying was that I found Pikachu's inconsideration towards Lillie to be odd. In any other series with a character afraid of Pokemon, he was calm and still when they tried to pet him. When he stops eating as Lillie tries to do it here, he suddenly has to keep eating right as she's about to touch him? When he knows this scares her? Am I the only one thinking if this had been any other series he would have just not ate until she either petted him or chickened out?

Like I said, I understand because the series is running on more gags than usual but it's just so out of character for Pikachu to do this for a traveling companion whom Ash is close to. If he knows they'd be sacred of sudden movements, he wouldn't find food more important than possibly scaring the person.

Yeah I get that especially when in the car he scooted over for Lillie to sit. I think they really just used it for comedic effect at this point and because Pikachu is similar to Ash when it comes to food.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom