• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP35: Currying Favor and Flavor!

Reaction score
Is already on Disney XD's app
SM035 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Here are the basics for today's episode

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons
Rebecca Becker
Sam Black
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Abe Goldfarb
Emily Jenness
Marisa Kennedy
Samara Nayemi
Lisa Ortiz
Haven Paschall
Eileen Stevens
Marc Thompson

Who's That Pokemon:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obfWmNWgj_w

Pokedex Entries

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QowP1jc10V4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me1G3azWDjA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEOSxke8Uw

Is already on Disney XD's app
SM035 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Here are the basics for today's episode

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons
Rebecca Becker
Sam Black
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Abe Goldfarb
Emily Jenness
Marisa Kennedy
Samara Nayemi
Lisa Ortiz
Haven Paschall
Eileen Stevens
Marc Thompson

Who's That Pokemon:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obfWmNWgj_w

Pokedex Entries

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QowP1jc10V4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me1G3azWDjA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEOSxke8Uw

Who reads Who's That Pokemon, theworld? Ash and Mallow? I don't think Kiawe, Lillie and Sophocles are heard in here because they are not involved into this this time.

Last edited:
I think it's Samara Naeymi and they probably voiced those three main Pokemon that attacked Ash and Mallow, and/or the Alolan Diglett and Parasect.

I think it's Samara Naeymi and they probably voiced those three main Pokemon that attacked Ash and Mallow, and/or the Alolan Diglett and Parasect.

Assuming Sarah Natochenny voices Diglett like she has in the past, that would leave Lurantis, Foamantis, Parasect and Castform

Hope to here which from Lisa Ortiz at some point

Assuming Sarah Natochenny voices Diglett like she has in the past, that would leave Lurantis, Foamantis, Parasect and Castform

Hope to here which from Lisa Ortiz at some point
Do they sound like the same Diglett from say SM017 and/or SM023?

Isn't it weird that the english dub have more VAs than the japanese original. It's usually the opposite.

I don't know about you guys, but I really liked this episode! If you've read my earlier episode reviews, you know how I kind of feel conflicted over this new slice-of-life format, but in this episode they actually managed to get something done at the same time!

(Gotta say, though, I'm a little jealous Ash defeated Totem Lurantis on his first try. I chose Rowlet in my first playthrough of Moon, and kept getting wrecked by the Sunny Day + Synthesis combo. The fact that he countered it so easily touches a nerve of mine.)

Everytime a Pokemon is evolving:

"Woah what is that!? What is happening!!!"

A Pokemon changes its form:

"IT'S EVOLVING!"

Sorry I just found that a bit too funny

I hope this happens when instead of evolving...
Silvally just changes its form by a memory. The wonder would be actually natural that time.

Gotta say this is definitely one of my favorites from SM so far! The way the totem battle was executed and how Ash utilized Litten to use it's breakneck blitz for the 1st time and the foxus was only on Ash and mallow, no one else. The music was also especially good in this one and I liked how this trial was constructed too. So then this episode is in the end getting a 9/10 for me, no TR yet again and next week is grand trial time! Let's see how Ash does against Olivia HYPE!!

I'm glad they made Rowlett bounce back from the L he took at the beginning. While I find him cute, they are really overdoing his sleepy life at some points. While I'm glad Ash is still using his Normal Z crystal, I feel like he needs the fire one for when Litten evolves. Happy with the episode though and it was nice for Mallow to get ample screen time as well.

This episode was a really nice mix of funny moments and more serious moments. I never have an issue with episodes that are just straight up funny, but a mix of the two is always nice to see, especially when it's well done like this episode was. I think the balance was nice and the progression of the episode flowed really well.

I agree with everyone else who said the voice acting this episode was particularly strong. Ash had to make a lot of strange noises this episode (thanks to those over-the-top reactions I love so much) and they were all super funny and well done. The scene in the kitchen when the students were getting their assignment stood out to me as well. Some of the students can be more hit-or-miss than the others but that whole scene was super cute and everyone's lines were done really well. The exchange with Kiawe ("I'm great at cooking!" "Have you ever made Akala Curry before?" "No!") was really funny and showcased the different personalities and voices of the classmates.

Something I didn't notice in the Japanese airing was Olivia lurking in the shadows leading up to the trial. That was a nice touch, I burst out laughing when I realized it was her (I think I originally thought it was Laurantis, not sure why, but I definitely didn't realize it was Olivia!)

I also really like how Ash utilized every member of his team throughout the episode. It was cool for each Pokémon to get a little bit of focus and contribute to what was going on.

Well look at that...another terrible Trial. Ugh, I can't believe how bad they screwed up the Island Trial Challenge.

Before getting into what I hated about this episode, let's start with the good. Oliva. Seriously, Oliva is the only thing that made this episode slightly less painful. I found the part where she got knocked back by the door to be legitimately funny, and the end where she kissed Ash's Pokemon, the Totem Lurantis, and the ally Castform was cute.

Now for the semi-good. I liked that unlike the previous Trials, this one actually had Ash and Mallow doing the actual trial. That said, it was rather disappointing that they weren't on the Stoutland searching for the ingredients (I guess that's what SM32 was for) nor were they in Lush Jungle for most of the episode.

And now the bad. With each new episode, Rowlet is easily becoming Ash's most useless Pokemon. It's laughable that they actually had a line of dialogue saying that he always comes through. That thing can't even be bothered to stay awake for a damn minute to help his trainer with one simple task. I swear Ash may as well not even bother with that bird. Sending Pikachu to get the berry in the first place would have prevented all the trouble they went through. And how stupid was it that they got themselves attacked through their own folly of laughing at Ash after perfectly surviving a Stun Spore and nearly making it to the Mago Berry? Ugh. That entire part along with the Diglett in the cage were so pointless. They could have easily just let the entire trial be a search situation in Lush Jungle like in the games. They also could have sped it up so we would have had more time for the battle.

And then there was the Totem Battle. Good elements: Mallow stayed the hell out of the battle as she should have, Litten battled, and he used Breakneck Blitz. Bad elements: everything else. Seriously, why, why, why, can't they just do the Totem Battles properly? The stupid bird had no reason to be in the battle helping Litten. Why can't they just let one Pokemon fight and then switch to the other when the first faints or gets tired. It's really not that hard. This battle could have been miles better if they just did the 2 vs 1 format as they are in Sun/Moon. And for one of, if not, the most difficult Totem Pokemon, Lurantis was pretty pathetic. It just spammed Solar Blade and barely even moved. The Synthesis healing also added nothing to the battle since Litten just KO'd it with Breakneck Blitz soon after. There were no interesting tactics and strategies. The thing just stood around and get hit by Ash's attacks until it went down. Overall, a major let down. And somehow Ash is going to battle Oliva in the next episode despite only doing one Akala Island Trial. Speaking of, I thought it as hilarious that Kukui actually told Ash that there were "other" trials he had to complete before battling Olivia as if he'd completed a single Akala Trial before today.

Also, Marowak and Turtonator...can we not? We had Oshawott vs. Pignite. We had Pancham vs. Chespin. Can we just stop with the stupid rivalries?

I'm officially done expecting them to do anything with the Trials. It's clear that they're not taking the Island Challenge as seriously as Gym Battles were for some reason. This episode gets a 4/10.

And somehow Ash is going to battle Oliva in the next episode despite only doing one Akala Island Trial. Speaking of, I thought it as hilarious that Kukui actually told Ash that there were "other" trials he had to complete before battling Olivia as if he'd completed a single Akala Trial before today
Did you miss the time Ash helped a Wailmer against a Bruxish, and Lana against Wishiwashi?

Complaining that the trials are nothing like the games is like complaining that pokémon can dodge in the anime while they can't in the games

Two completely different genres of storytelling

Sure, the trials aren't particularly creative (unless your names are Team Rocket, Team Skull, Totem Gumshoos or Totem Raticate) but they're at least something

Well look at that...another terrible Trial. Ugh, I can't believe how bad they screwed up the Island Trial Challenge.

Before getting into what I hated about this episode, let's start with the good. Oliva. Seriously, Oliva is the only thing that made this episode slightly less painful. I found the part where she got knocked back by the door to be legitimately funny, and the end where she kissed Ash's Pokemon, the Totem Lurantis, and the ally Castform was cute.

Now for the semi-good. I liked that unlike the previous Trials, this one actually had Ash and Mallow doing the actual trial. That said, it was rather disappointing that they weren't on the Stoutland searching for the ingredients (I guess that's what SM32 was for) nor were they in Lush Jungle for most of the episode.

And now the bad. With each new episode, Rowlet is easily becoming Ash's most useless Pokemon. It's laughable that they actually had a line of dialogue saying that he always comes through. That thing can't even be bothered to stay awake for a damn minute to help his trainer with one simple task. I swear Ash may as well not even bother with that bird. Sending Pikachu to get the berry in the first place would have prevented all the trouble they went through. And how stupid was it that they got themselves attacked through their own folly of laughing at Ash after perfectly surviving a Stun Spore and nearly making it to the Mago Berry? Ugh. That entire part along with the Diglett in the cage were so pointless. They could have easily just let the entire trial be a search situation in Lush Jungle like in the games. They also could have sped it up so we would have had more time for the battle.

And then there was the Totem Battle. Good elements: Mallow stayed the hell out of the battle as she should have, Litten battled, and he used Breakneck Blitz. Bad elements: everything else. Seriously, why, why, why, can't they just do the Totem Battles properly? The stupid bird had no reason to be in the battle helping Litten. Why can't they just let one Pokemon fight and then switch to the other when the first faints or gets tired. It's really not that hard. This battle could have been miles better if they just did the 2 vs 1 format as they are in Sun/Moon. And for one of, if not, the most difficult Totem Pokemon, Lurantis was pretty pathetic. It just spammed Solar Blade and barely even moved. The Synthesis healing also added nothing to the battle since Litten just KO'd it with Breakneck Blitz soon after. There were no interesting tactics and strategies. The thing just stood around and get hit by Ash's attacks until it went down. Overall, a major let down. And somehow Ash is going to battle Oliva in the next episode despite only doing one Akala Island Trial. Speaking of, I thought it as hilarious that Kukui actually told Ash that there were "other" trials he had to complete before battling Olivia as if he'd completed a single Akala Trial before today.

Also, Marowak and Turtonator...can we not? We had Oshawott vs. Pignite. We had Pancham vs. Chespin. Can we just stop with the stupid rivalries?

I'm officially done expecting them to do anything with the Trials. It's clear that they're not taking the Island Challenge as seriously as Gym Battles were for some reason. This episode gets a 4/10.

I'm not involving into this. But everyone else says otherwise about this episode being good or bad. I'm guessing you are losing interest to this series... And besides, Rowlet is a joke character. There's still Ula Ula trials, though.

And somehow Ash is going to battle Oliva in the next episode despite only doing one Akala Island Tria
Actually, the game makes even less sense in this point. You can't expect people to rationalize that you need to pass three trials to battle Akala Kahuna, yet you need to pass only one trial to battle Melemele Kahuna. It's unfair.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom