• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP37: Rising from the Ruins!

The voice acting of this episode was exceptional, especially from Rockruff, Lycanroc and Tapu Lele, an awe inspiring episode

Definitely sounds like Type: Null has a dubbed voice when I compared it to the Japanese version, guessing Billy Bob Thompson might be the actor involved, could be wrong though

Ah, yes. The inevitable Rockruff evolution episode. Even though it wasn't nearly as epic as I hoped (there wasn't even a battle, and Gladion's appearance was just so they could have three Lycanroc) I did appreciate it for what it was. I'm not a fan of Dusk Lycanroc's overall design (they just took the Midday form and slapped the Midnight form's spikes on it, although the color scheme is admittedly cool) I liked their explanation for it, even if it's a bit unbelievable Ash would be owning the very first one. Another highlight of this episode was Tapu Lele; her mischievous personality came as a bit of a surprise to me with such an elegant appearance. Dub-wise it's the same old, same old, although I find it odd that they updated the credits for Lycanroc but not Lana's Z-Ring.

So I finally watched the dub version and I have to say it was extremely disappointing compared to the original sub.
1. I know it's on Disney and they censor things for kids (still don't see the point of this with how the world is now) but it totally ruined the importance of Ash finding Rockruff quickly at the ruins. In the subbed version olivia stresses to Ash that Rockruff could die if Tapu Lele tried to heal it when heavily wounded and that was so detrimental to that scene.
2. The music was so out of character for the scenes as well compared to the subbed version as the importance of Rockruff trying to find itself was not felt at all, the scenes where it was gravely injured and struggling to move and eventually saved by the other Lycanrocs was also not as emotional due to this.

In general I was okay with the episode because Lycanroc evolving was so good on the subbed version and this one was still pretty well done apart from my two problems.

Just got around to watching this and what a way to end Akala with! Rockruff evolving into Dusk form Lycanroc which was inevitably going to happen, more Tapu Lele is always good even if it only showed up twice so far, Gladion and Type:Null?? Geez I could only imagine what they'll be doing with those 2, and yeah Ash has a Dusk Lycanroc now! I could only think that maybe it'll be the Greninja of the SM series because of it evolving rather soon before the 1st season and for how it could be really freaking powerful especially with Continental Crush. Gladion is going to have a ball with it with his midnight Lycanroc I betcha. So in the end this episode gets a 9/10 from me, no TR, as always a Great Dub and I look forward to the potential last episodes from seaon one of SM:)

Destroying those mountains isn't very nice Rockruff.

Attaching Togedemaru to your belt is pretty lazy .

Rockruff vs a legendary. Rockruff's gonna die.

At this point anyone else would just release Rockruff tbh. It's too much trouble.

Ooh Premier Ball. Makes me wish you could swap what ball your Pokemon was in cuz I'm pretty sure we're only allowed Type Nulls in vanilla Pokeballs.

So you just pull the helmet off and it become Slyvally. Gotta be BFFs with it first though!

I guessed the who's that Pokemon off screen whilst typing this message. Didn't even have to see the silhouette. I'm just that good.

If evil Lycanrok was a Dark type like it should've been, that would've been super effective. Also slightly worried about the random Rockruff kidnapping. If we could hear them talk they've probably be talking about which of the two it will evolve into. ...heh.

Tapu Lele was randomly being a dick for no reason. She hates Rock types, I guess. I'm gonna send my evil Lycanroc known as Lycanrek after the Tapu Lele I caught as revenge.

Not sure 6 of them looking together is a good idea lmfao

They keep changing the pronunciation of Tapu Le Le. Pisses me off.

Pretty sure that isn't how Draining Kiss works lol. Also, the two Lycanreks and Ash kinda need healing too now then lmao.

Weird green sun.

Oh mai gurd, Dawn Form!? totally didn't expect a new form that was announced three months ago and was spoiled by the game staff themselves about this evolution!? such a shock! shame though, I prefer evil Lycanrek. Cool werewolf. Also the other two don't fit it because LYCAN - werewolf. ...oops I said Dawn form and not Dusk form. My bad.

Tapu Lele was randomly being a dick for no reason. She hates Rock types, I guess. I'm gonna send my evil Lycanroc known as Lycanrek after the Tapu Lele I caught as revenge.

Bulbapedia said:
This guardian deity of Akala is guilelessly cruel. The fragrant aroma of flowers is the source of its energy

They just decided to expand on its Pokedex entry. It dosen’t seem 'random' to me.

I found this episode to be pretty boring, honestly. I do think this is a case where I liked it more watching the sub. I mean, I know full well by now that mentioning death in the dub is pretty much a no-no, but that really took away from Rockruff's encounter with Tapu Lele and Tapu Lele's character as a whole. "Badly injured" just doesn't compare to what's actually being conveyed. So that was expected but still disappointing.

This whole "attitude before evolution" thing really screwed up Rockruff for me. I absolutely loved that little rock puppy, and its attitude over the last 2 episodes was beyond grating and honestly came across as trying too hard. I don't like it when they try to make something over-the-top edgy, especially in places where it doesn't fit. With Rockruff, it just doesn't fit. I understand the reasoning behind it, but they went a little too crazy with it. Unfortunate.

Dusk Lycanroc is pretty cool. I'm not crazy about either of the original Lycanroc forms (midday is fine, midnight is awful) so I do kind of like that Ash's Lycanroc got a different form, solely for my own selfish preferences. I think dusk is the coolest of the three forms.

Other than that, the pacing of the episode just felt off. It kind of dragged on for me. The voice acting was pretty good here though, they've been on a pretty decent roll with that lately. It also just felt like a very weird, abrupt end to the Akala arc overall.

I found this episode to be pretty boring, honestly. I do think this is a case where I liked it more watching the sub. I mean, I know full well by now that mentioning death in the dub is pretty much a no-no, but that really took away from Rockruff's encounter with Tapu Lele and Tapu Lele's character as a whole. "Badly injured" just doesn't compare to what's actually being conveyed. So that was expected but still disappointing.

This whole "attitude before evolution" thing really screwed up Rockruff for me. I absolutely loved that little rock puppy, and its attitude over the last 2 episodes was beyond grating and honestly came across as trying too hard. I don't like it when they try to make something over-the-top edgy, especially in places where it doesn't fit. With Rockruff, it just doesn't fit. I understand the reasoning behind it, but they went a little too crazy with it. Unfortunate.

Dusk Lycanroc is pretty cool. I'm not crazy about either of the original Lycanroc forms (midday is fine, midnight is awful) so I do kind of like that Ash's Lycanroc got a different form, solely for my own selfish preferences. I think dusk is the coolest of the three forms.

Other than that, the pacing of the episode just felt off. It kind of dragged on for me. The voice acting was pretty good here though, they've been on a pretty decent roll with that lately. It also just felt like a very weird, abrupt end to the Akala arc overall.
What did you expect? This Akala arc was kinda boring in my opinion. I'm sure the next island will be more better.

What did you expect? This Akala arc was kinda boring in my opinion. I'm sure the next island will be more better.

I liked the Akala arc. What I don't like is, regardless of whether someone enjoyed the episodes or not, is when they've spent all this time on an arc and end it so casually. I just found the whole boat scene/talking about how cool Lycanroc is boring. Even something as simple as the class having one last meal together on the island and mentioning all the stuff they did before heading back would've been nice. I mean, Lana got a Z-Ring AND a crystal, Kiawe caught a new Pokémon, Ash beat two trials...I don't know, to me the ending was weak.

Aww... Repentful Rockruff is so cute...

I was lowkey hoping for a Rockruff imitation there. Writers, why must you disappoint me? :(:D

TAPU LELE!!! :love::love:

So, no one actually realized that Rockruff was missing as well... o_O

So, Lycanroc sneaks away just like that... :confused: I wonder why!

Random Gladion? GIMME!:X3::X3: Also, Gladion just lets his Lycanroc roam around as is.

TYPE NULL DEBUT?! YES! :eek::X3:(y)

Oh, so the Lycanroc sneaked to look after Rockruff. That's so nice of them. I really liked that writing there. (y)

Tapu Lele is my favorite guardian deity, and that guileless cruelty is just why... (y):whistle:

So, Rockruff evolves into neither the Midday or Midnight form. Interesting! The Dusk form looks really cool. :cool:

Farewell, Akala!

This was a very entertaining episode, to say the least. Rockruff's evolution to Lycanroc Dusk was pretty surprising for obvious reasons, but it was well handled regardless. I give this episode an easy 10/10.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom