• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP43: When Regions Collide!

Gag me. All the voices were horrible. Psyduck sounded atrocious and not close to Michael Haigney and Geodude was awful generic roar voice they do for practically every “tough” Pokémon. Geodude was also originally Michael Haigney coincidentally. Use old voice clips or don’t even bother dubbing the Pokémon anymore.

And Misty and Brock sounded horrible and are nowhere close to the originals and Sarah was bad as Ash, per SOP.

This just illustrates perfectly it isn’t just the human voices TPCI drops the bomb on it, it’s the writing and the Pokémon voices many of which had iconic and recognizable voices that nobody TPCI has that can replicate them.

Thank god there are still videos of the real VA’s performing at cons to drown this out.

Last edited:
This just illustrates perfectly it isn’t just the human voices TPCI drops the bomb on it, it’s the writing and the Pokémon voices many of which had iconic and recognizable voices that nobody TPCI has that can replicate them.
I agree, but to add to what you said...

TPCI also don't try when it comes to opening themes for the Anime dub, considering they reduced the length from 1 minute when 4Kids was around, to 30 seconds for the majority of the ones they've done since they took over (and there's no excuse for what happened with Season 20's dub OP since Beyblade Burst has a 45 second dub OP and Yokai Watch has a minute long one, all 3 dubs air on Disney XD, and yet again TPCI continued to be lazy and cheap with the dub OP length- if they change this for Season 21, that's all well and good, but what happened with Sun & Moon Season 1's dub OP is a shame since there's no "It's CN's fault!" excuse to use for this instance of it).

Also, TPCI have been worse than 4Kids ever was about replacing the OST since the XY dub began, and that continues into the SM dub- it's really depressing how awful they made the music situation as well...it's sad when AG's dub was better about this, for the Anime no less, forget the Movie dubs which were great vs. the dub now on retaining the OST rather than overhauling it. Again, all the reasons you brought up are much of why I'm not going to bother with the dub from the next season onward for why you don't care for it, either, but just thought I'd add to how abysmal the music situation is now. The dub lacks care, big time: whether it's because of the business suits at TPCI, voice direction, writing, Akhil Gopal or Ed Goldfarb's work, etc, something down the line needs to change before I give it any more shots just to be disappointed at the end product.

(And again, if you like the dub there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm just elaborating on this user's points since my reasons for disliking it do coincide with many of their own).

Last edited:
I loved this episode, except for a few things.
My biggest problem is with the voice acting. Psyduck sounds like he has problems, and Geodude doesn’t have the same gravelly (see what I did there) quality to his voice as the 4Kids one did. Bill Rogers’ Brock didn’t sound as good as it did in the past for some reason, which surprised me because I know he can do better.

Another problem I had was that I thought it was kind of an ass pull for Brock and Misty to reveal that they had Mega Evolution stones. This ended up ruining Brock and Kiawe’s otherwise awesome battle for me. In my eyes, it was an unfair advantage.

Thankfully, I can forgive those problems because the rest of the episode was so great. My favorite part was Misty finally showing Psyduck some affection.

Overall, I’d give it a 7.5/10.

All right! "It's battling time!" :D

Minus points for the unnecessary re-introduction! (n)

Misty versus Lana and Mallow was amazing. Psyduck battled quite well for its record. (y) On the other side, Popplio's clever balloon-maneuvering and Mallow's offense were both great, and made the battle pretty interesting to watch.

Poor Sophocles! :LOL: Liked how Brock used Gyro Ball as counter-shield to his advantage in the battle. (y) I wish the battle could last a bit longer, but it was good to watch regardless.

Brock versus Kiawe was awesome. It was great seeing Steelix in battle. Man is that Steelix strong. It took a super-effective special Z-Move like it was no big deal. :eek: Kiawe lost, but that's okay. I chuckled at Marowak's exaggerated reaction to their loss though.

Misty: *says she believed Ash would send out Pikachu*
*sends out Gyarados regardless* :unsure::unsure:

Seriously though, Misty seemed to handle the massive type-disadvantage with great skill. I liked how she asked Gyarados to use Rain Dance to ensure guaranteed Hurricane. ;)(y) Eh... I would have preferred she Mega Evolved her Gyarados at the beginning of the battle to do away with the massive Electric-type weakness, but whatever. The battle was great regardless. (y)

Ash's strategy of making Pikachu climb up the hurricane like he did was cool. :cool: As predicted, Gyarados lost. Hmm... Guess that means Ash finally beat Misty in a fair battle in the Gym. :LOL::LOL:

So, it's back-to-Alola time... Farewell Misty and Brock! Hopefully we see you two someday again! :)

Wait what? Jigglypuff is tagging along too?! Does that mean it will re-appear in an episode? That's... great! :X3::X3:

So, you telling me that Bewear has been running on water for three days straight?! :eek::eek::eek:

All in all, this was an excitement-filled, fun episode to watch. I'll give this a 9.8/10.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom