• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP15: Fighting Back the Tears!

Review time! So an episode that is TR only with no classmates, barely much of Ash/Kukui/Burnet and the return of some past Pokemon great. I actually did enjoy this episode: The relationship between James/Mareanie was cute if it felt a bit too much for me, him also trying to catch a damn Frillish was interesting to see.... wonder what would've happened if he did catch it though? It being a Unova mon and well the rest is history. Tentacruel was definitely not what I expected to show up in this as well, been so long since we last seen it, and WOBBUFFET's here also after how many SM episodes? This episode was so good despite not having Mareanie evolving and just being a bit of troll when that fight with Toxapex happened which James just goes off on! Overall though will give this a 8/10:D

Not a bad episode, nice to see Team Rocket and in particular James and Mareanie getting some focus

I suspect unconfirmed roles for this episode are:
Laurie Hymes: Frillish and/or Mareanie/Toxapex
Marc Thompson: Tentacruel

Best performances this episode go to Carter Cathcart as James and Melissa Hope as Mareanie

Wait that's how Mareanie is pronounced?! :eek: Here I was all this time thinking it was ma-reh-an-ee...

I always watch the episodes dedicated to the Team Rocket in raw subtitles english, raw subtitles french, in english dub and then in french version (my language). I was waiting to see the english version of this episode with great impatience and despite all the bad things I read on the internet about the english dub of "Pokemon" in general, really, I was not disappointed with this episode.

I love James' interpretation here, he speaks so sweet, so kind, so touching and the typical hesitation of this character when he is outside his role in the team rocket is clearly palpable in his voice . (Meowth : "Oh James, you, big lug")

And precisely, his sweetness and his cuteness as well of his lack of self-esteem when he is not in his role of "villain member of Team Rocket" or in "Mighty Moltres mode" : this habit to feel worthless in comparison with other characters for whom his pokemon (or even Jessie) have an attraction (as it was the case with Gardenia and Cacnea, the doctor White and Jessie and here Toxapex) is what I like the most about James and it's partly what makes me a fan who is totally subjugated and passionate by this character.

I also like Jessie's intonation when she worries about James being poisoned more than usual, I just miss a tiny thing: Bewear's ambulance ringtone is not as good as it was in the Japanese version but it's really a minimal detail.

And the music of the dub version is not bad. Especially during the scene where Mareanie thinks of James, the music made me burn my heart again.

Really, the more I watch this episode and the more I love it. The episodes dedicated to team rocket only are so emotional ♥♥♥♥♥♥10/10

Last edited:
I think Team Rocket suffers from the same type of amnesia Ash has when traveling to a new region. James was seriously going to catch a female Frilish without remembering (or at least mentioning) the one they had in their Unova team that's currently back at HQ.

The dub was pretty good, I think this has been one of James Carter Cathcart's better performances as James especially in the Sun & Moon anime.

I think Team Rocket suffers from the same type of amnesia Ash has when traveling to a new region. James was seriously going to catch a female Frilish without remembering (or at least mentioning) the one they had in their Unova team that's currently back at HQ.

Frillish and Amongus were the less memorable Team Rocket pokemon. They had no personality, no bond with their trainers, nothing ... Personally, it would not bother me if the writers would forget them forever....

Weird how Mareinie wasn't a Corsola necklace. I guess it wants to wear the bones of its prey. That's sick.

James wanting to catch a Pokemon? this is rare. Maybe he just wants one cuz Jessie had one lol. I don't remember which colour she had. Ah, a pink one. They'd match. Neat. Shame it's law that James has to befriend them and then give them food to catch Pokemon.

No female Pokemon allowed. Good jo Yanmega isn't near by.

Oooh a shiny, neat. Team Rocket finding that rare- wait, they're not rare any more due to the 33% chance in worm holes. I found 3 in the 5 tries I did LMAO. I don't count those. Although this is clearly full odds!

Mearinis first love lol? James is better. Although it IS shiny. Good "catch" ;).

When did Mearini say all this lol? guess they must be secret night sharers.

Meowth is a champion story teller.

HOW DARE YOU SHINY MEARINI, SHE LOVED YOU

How to impress a woman, get it the bones of your enemy. so romantic.

I'm counting that as James kissing a guy. and cool, James actually does look like the shiny when he has a poisoned face lol. The worst loves are when you try to replace them with someone similar looking. Then you aren't really going for the new person at all.

Aww, poor James. First he's gonna die and now he's breaking up with his girlfriend, I mean Pokemon.

A MUNCHLAX SHARING FOOD?!

So now Ash sleeps on the couch. That's better. Don't force the married couple there lmao.

REVENGE OF THE TENTACRUEL

James channeling his inner Marcus Damon. And how did James get cured lol?

Shouldn't they just catch the shiny Toxapex lol? then they get both and no one has to split up.

If only James had another Pokemon to fight it lol. Or Meowth. Or one of Jessies. Instead he wants to continue being Marcus Damon.

I swear that wasn't James' voice actor doing the scream. Lol slap fight. Fighting over the love of a Pokemon. Romantic. Shame it's prob illegal. Not that Team Rocket care about the law.

James is a baddass. I do like when he's a good guy. Also, he's hella strong.

James should've got an evolution here. Still funny tho.

Ooh nice Burnett outfit.

Shouldn't they just catch the shiny Toxapex lol?
U9czNm.jpg

9pPKd1.jpg

Isforp.jpg

Oooh a shiny, neat. Team Rocket finding that rare- wait, they're not rare any more due to the 33% chance in worm holes. I found 3 in the 5 tries I did LMAO. I don't count those. Although this is clearly full odds!
Actually, it's not a Shiny, the Shiny variants of Mareanie and Toxapex look different in the games:
747.png
748.png

They pretty much based the coloration on James's appearance when he's poisoned by Mareanie, hence why James has always reminded Mareanie of her former lover. Although this isn't the first anime-only coloration, Pink Butterfree and purple Kecleon come to mind.

I had to Google who that was. True, James would prob die if it kept attacking him but maybe it wouldn't lol. And if it does, well send that to the boss, he'd love it.

Actually, it's not a Shiny, the Shiny variants of Mareanie and Toxapex look different in the games:
747.png
748.png

They pretty much based the coloration on James's appearance when he's poisoned by Mareanie, hence why James has always reminded Mareanie of her former lover. Although this isn't the first anime-only coloration, Pink Butterfree and purple Kecleon come to mind.

Lol well, it's still rare and will get hella money from giving it to Giovanni.

After reflexion, I have some questions about this episode. How did James heal from his poisoning? Why was he suddenly so strong that he could beat Tentacruel 2X with his bare hands after a lack of sleep and terrible pains, (I remind you that we are talking about JAMES the same terrified guy who was crying to be saved with his Mime Jr in his arms in DP) And how did he recover poison during the fight against Toxapex while more later he begins to be poisoned again by Mareanie and is not immune? I think Bewear gave him one special super-potion. XD

Last edited:
Not a bad episode, nice to see Team Rocket and in particular James and Mareanie getting some focus

I suspect unconfirmed roles for this episode are:
Laurie Hymes: Frillish and/or Mareanie/Toxapex
Marc Thompson: Tentacruel

Best performances this episode go to Carter Cathcart as James and Melissa Hope as Mareanie
Oh boy you could not be more wrong with saying that Carter did a good job in this episode. Do i need to remind you about how his voice cracked when he tried to sound like a girl during Mareanie's flashback? Or how he's incapable of screaming loudly as James so he had to scream as Meowth instead? If anything this episode only futher proved just how quick Carter needs to get fired and replaced with someone who can actually make James sound like a 25 year old rather then a 85 year old.

Weird how Mareinie wasn't a Corsola necklace. I guess it wants to wear the bones of its prey. That's sick.

James wanting to catch a Pokemon? this is rare. Maybe he just wants one cuz Jessie had one lol. I don't remember which colour she had. Ah, a pink one. They'd match. Neat. Shame it's law that James has to befriend them and then give them food to catch Pokemon.

No female Pokemon allowed. Good jo Yanmega isn't near by.

Mearinis first love lol? James is better. Although it IS shiny. Good "catch" ;).

When did Mearini say all this lol? guess they must be secret night sharers.

Meowth is a champion story teller.

HOW DARE YOU SHINY MEARINI, SHE LOVED YOU

How to impress a woman, get it the bones of your enemy. so romantic.

I'm counting that as James kissing a guy. and cool, James actually does look like the shiny when he has a poisoned face lol. The worst loves are when you try to replace them with someone similar looking. Then you aren't really going for the new person at all.

Aww, poor James. First he's gonna die and now he's breaking up with his girlfriend, I mean Pokemon.

A MUNCHLAX SHARING FOOD?!

So now Ash sleeps on the couch. That's better. Don't force the married couple there lmao.

REVENGE OF THE TENTACRUEL

James channeling his inner Marcus Damon. And how did James get cured lol?

Shouldn't they just catch the shiny Toxapex lol? then they get both and no one has to split up.

If only James had another Pokemon to fight it lol. Or Meowth. Or one of Jessies. Instead he wants to continue being Marcus Damon.

I swear that wasn't James' voice actor doing the scream. Lol slap fight. Fighting over the love of a Pokemon. Romantic. Shame it's prob illegal. Not that Team Rocket care about the law.

James is a baddass. I do like when he's a good guy. Also, he's hella strong.

James should've got an evolution here. Still funny tho.

Ooh nice Burnett outfit.
Your right about the screaming part. It seems that James's voice actor is incapable of screaming in his voice so he had to resort to screaming as Meowth instead. If that doesn't prove once and for all what a terrible voice actor Carter is then i don't know what will.

The dub was pretty good, I think this has been one of James Carter Cathcart's better performances as James especially in the Sun & Moon anime.
Were you not paying attention when Carter's voice cracked when he tried to talk like a girl during Mareanie's flashback? Or how he had to resort to screaming like Meowth at one point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom