• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP18: A Mission of Ultra Urgency!

Also, the Ultra Beast Balls technically don't belong to Ash - he's borrowing them from the Aether Foundation

Also, someone needs to fix "Jessie's Mimikyu" to "James' Mimikyu because she caught it with his Luxury Ball

In that case any Pokemon you catch in game belongs to the AF if you use a Beast Ball

I would count Mimikyu as Jessie's because she caught and used it. Whilst Brock caught a Tauros, he didn't keep it and it went to Ash. Had Brock kept it, I'd count it as his.

In the same notion, Ketchup caught Randy Savage, so it's his mon

Doesn't matter anyway since the mods have a weird "it doesn't count because one episode".

...which is interesting. Do movies counts as one episode? because if that's the case - Ash M20 shouldn't have his Butterfree count as 'released' because he only has it for less than one episode.

Yes, it can't. That's just what the higher-ups of the site have decided to classify it as.

Last edited:
Also, the Ultra Beast Balls technically don't belong to Ash - he's borrowing them from the Aether Foundation
I dare to disagree. The balls technically belong to whoever uses them, but the nature of these missions means that an Ultra Beast is usually released almost immediately after being caught.
Also, someone needs to fix "Jessie's Mimikyu" to "James' Mimikyu because she caught it with his Luxury Ball
It was still Jessie who did the capture, so it's hers. Plain and simple.

It's kind of funny that the school is the Ultra Guardian base of operations with a whole damn secret door in the wall and a pathway leading them under a body of water, but I suppose it is cool. I also found it funny how Lusamine really liked the whole "super hero/power ranger" concept more than her own daughter.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed with this episode, mainly because it went by way too fast and wasn't a cool or interesting as it could have been. We have the team confronting a super powerful ULTRA BEAST, but it was treated like any random strong Pokemon. The actual confrontation with Buzzwole was overall lame. Seriously, a flexing battle? I would have liked to see the gang use their combined strength to try to weaken Buzzwole to a state where it would be easily captured, but nope, Kiawe and Ash just need to flex on him to win :/

I'll give this episode a 5/10. A pretty lame start to the Ultra Guardian plot.

It's kind of funny that the school is the Ultra Guardian base of operations with a whole damn secret door in the wall and a pathway leading them under a body of water, but I suppose it is cool. I also found it funny how Lusamine really liked the whole "super hero/power ranger" concept more than her own daughter.
Isn't it? Lusamine is such a man-child.
Overall, I was a bit disappointed with this episode, mainly because it went by way too fast and wasn't a cool or interesting as it could have been. We have the team confronting a super powerful ULTRA BEAST, but it was treated like any random strong Pokemon. The actual confrontation with Buzzwole was overall lame. Seriously, a flexing battle? I would have liked to see the gang use their combined strength to try to weaken Buzzwole to a state where it would be easily captured, but nope, Kiawe and Ash just need to flex on him to win :/
Even Buzzwole's Pokédex entries mention that it likes flexing a lot, so I personally don't see this as a problem.

I have to wonder who Ted Lewis voiced this episode, Buzzwole or one of the film crew. Either way, good to see him voicing roles other than Giovanni, he is seriously underused nowadays

Posting this excerpt from the interview with anime Lillie in my Paxton and Joseph Show fanfiction over at the Writers' Workshop because it pretty much sums up how I've always felt about the Ultra Guardians:

Joseph: What’s with the regimented approach to things [Lusamine] has with the Ultra Guardians, up to and including demanding that you say “Ult-roger”?

Lillie: Is mother in the audience?

Paxton: No.

Lillie: Is she watching this from her office?

Paxton: How should I know? I haven’t got secret cameras set up all over Aether Paradise.

Joseph: If it were me though, I’d want my mother to be watching me be interviewed on a live show!

Lillie: Fine, I’ll tell you. It’s because she's a woman-child with such an over-controlling attitude about everything.

Paxton: I figured it was something like that.

In all honesty, though, I think it would've been cool if Lusamine had actually given them color code names just like the real Power Rangers - i.e Lana answers to "Blue Guardian", Kiawe is "Red Guardian", and so on. Although I guess that would've made it too obvious, and Ash would've had to be "Indigo Guardian" or something like that.

Last edited:
Lillie ashamed of her mother will be the only interaction they have for for the next twenty and more episodes. And her brother is disappeared without trace. So much for their family's future connection.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna start off by saying Ash and Kiawe repeatedly yelling "swole" made the entire episode for me. I was laughing so hard I actually had tears streaming down my face. Yes, I know it was coming from "Buzzwole." No, that doesn't make it any less funny.

I was a little unsure about the premise of the Ultra Guardians, but after watching the episode, I have to say I liked it. It reminded me a lot of different shows I liked to watch as a kid (the girls' "transformations" in particular evoked a lot of Sailor to me, which was great) and it wasn't too serious or too goofy. It really combined the two nicely and had a great balance.

Buzzwole could've been a bit of a bigger threat, that might've been cool, but I also like they didn't go super heavy handed on the "this is dark and serious" theme. It just doesn't fit in with SM, even when they move away from the silliness a bit. I will say that the image of Buzzwole sucking the weight/energy/life force of Snorlax was legitimately horrifying and that was enough darkness for me!

Overall a nice episode. I enjoyed it quite a bit and made me laugh really, really hard so that's always a plus.

I still don’t see what the point was in turning the Ultra Beasts arc into a glorified Sentai parody. That alone essentially sets the tone that they’re not taking this remotely seriously. It’s like they blew the entire writing budget on Nihilego and every Ultra Beast after is just the interns who have never seen an episode of Pokemon in their lives and we’re just told ‘eh just make things up as you go along.’

Oh! I just realized I've completely forgotten to post these here! I posted them to the original Japanese version review thread of this episode back when it had just aired, and meant to post them here too, but completely forgot for whatever reason until now! Well, better late than never, I guess...

So, in case some of you haven't been to the original Japanese version review thread, here you go. Hope you'll enjoy:

The first Ultra Guardian episode... Alright! I AM HYPED! :X3::cool:

Hey look, it's Poipole! (y):X3:

And Buzzwole! Uff, too bad that Ultra Wormhole is too small for it!

Man, Komala sure is acting weird today.

The Ultra Guardian base is below the Pokémon School? Interesting!

Magic suits? YES!!! :love::love:

OMG Lana is Bianca2.0 confirmed?!?!

So, Rotom Dex gets updated with Ultra Beast data. That's great. (y)(y) Nice seeing Beast Balls in the anime as well.

Umm... Pretty sure Charizard flying through that waterfall like that should have meant trouble.

The vain Buzzwole LOL. :D

Bug/Fighting versus Normal/Fighting. Buzzwole has higher Attack stat though. Not that the anime cares. :p

Liked how Bewear abandoned his fight to rescue Team Rocket from "the mysterious creature".

Umm... Deflated Snorlax made me cringe TBH.

The vain Buzzwole version 2.0.

Damn that's a fast Buzzwole! :eek:

Hmm... Poipole sure seems interested in Pikachu. :X3:;) Aww... please don't leave so soon!

And... Buzzwole was caught! That's awesome! (y)

The group flexing for Buzzwole for the last time was so cute IMO. :love::X3:

No Ultra Jungle in the anime, I guess. :(

Pretty interesting, this Ultra Guardian episode. I really enjoyed Buzzwole's personality. I am hyped; can't wait to see some more Ultra Guardian action in the future.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom