• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP19: Acting True to Form!

who's that pokemon: alola meowth

Meowth, Alola Forme, the scratch cat pokemon. A Dark type.

Who's That Pokemon!?:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgv7h1K8aM4

Pokedex Entries:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdlaLDPGnCg

Bonus:

View: https://twitter.com/worldofkevinc/status/1012033814527467520

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons

Sam Black
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Carter Cathcart
Abe Goldfarb
Melissa Hope
Emily Jenness
Michele Knotz
Ted Lewis
Michael Liscio Jr.
Lisa Ortiz
Scottie Ray
Erica Schroeder
Eileen Stevens
Billy Bob Thompson
Marc Thompson
Pete Zarustica

And the dub continues to show it's hypocrisy by not censoring Meowth's crazy eyes at the bar. Every death face of his gets censored to no end but crazy eyes are apparently just fine. Let's also not forget that Carter still hasn't realized that nobody speaks his hippie New York language outside of the New York area. Oh well morons be morons I guess.

What a great episode! I mean the Alolan Meowth is so sassy and it's funny to see the expressions TR Meowth has in the episode which is one of the benefits of SuMo's animation. I like the fact the episode focused mainly on the TRio and it also brought in Giovanni. Yay! It was a really well put together episode and it showed off the Alolan Meowth well and it didn't seem like they showed it because they had to. It was a clever episode and it developed Meowth's character. OMG BEWEAR THOUGH WITH THE LEAVES HAHAHA god I love Bewear.

9/10

Nothing beats a jelly filled doughnut.

"Doesn't food taste better when you're with friends?" ...not really tbh.

Jessie will be eating it right now. ...yep. So, how long has Meowth been saving it, years? and well Meowth, if you wanted it so bad you should've ate it right away. And when did this waiting happen lol? you literally don't have the time to wait weeks meow face.

So now Meowth is grey and there's an Alolan Meowth in the background. Gee, I wonder what will happen in this episode?

Team Rocket cant tell the difference between a black and white cat lol. Oh, they knew it was dirt, fair enough. Still questionable tho lol

Where did Team Rocket gets those balls lol? and why aren't they using them? is this the new bottle cap collection?

and who needs old Meowth lol, this one is better. It can even make drinks! though it'll prob be a massive prank in a few mins.

Oh yes, it IS a collection. You're supposed to use them lol. I wonder if James would not use a Master Ball?

TR believing this evil Meowth lol

"we can use the Dark Type Z Crystal cuz it's a Dark Type?!" ...doesn't Meowth know Bite lol? or did he delete it after Gen 1 whilst it was a Normal move?

We're just gonna have to assume he deleted Bite lol

I like how they wanna catch Alola Meowth but not the one they're friends with for 1000 episodes who is still wild.

Giovanni can call and have the call answered without them picking up lol? good job they were in and also a good job they weren't... well you know... doing something Giovanni wouldn't want to see.

I like how this is the only thing Team Rocket have to report. Plus if Giovanni wanted to know about it, couldn't James just send the book he used with the info in? ...or Giovanni could Google it? the Pokedex info is known clearly lol so why can Giovanni not acquire this information lol?

I wonder if Ash's friends will know the difference between the Vaccine type and Virus type Meowths.

Jesus, Vaccine Mewoth's face in that pub.

Ash getting to use his Rock type in this battle is slightly unfair lol.

Meowth with a troll plan lol. ...aww, they knew the difference? that's no fun.

It casually uses an Electric move, neat. Kinda like that time Tyson had one. Just makes TRs even more weak lol.

Dig? and lol, I like how they added Litten being defeated at random from it.

A reverse trap!? this is the smartest Pokemon in the world lol

Hmm, couldn't they have recalled their Pokemon and then thrown the Pokeballs out of the hole to get the Pokemon out? then they could get help. I guess climbing up Turtonator could work but that sounds like it would burn lol

RIP. At least being burned to death got them out of the hole.

Lol, Rowlett got away easy.

I feel like Meowth is gonna free Pikachu himself out of pride of wanting to be the one to catch him lol

Mimikyu freed it? ugh, the Meowth thing would've been cooler and more in character for him. Missed opportunity.

Considering that they were able to talk during Ash dancing - why weren't TR able to just run away from the Z move?

...Bewear can fly now. ...criticisms deleted.

How did that Meowth get to Kanto XD did it swim? I'm impressed. I hope we see more of it lol, it's a funny Poke.

Still though, the Vaccine type Meowth can use Bite. Just gonna have to assume they used a move deleter.

"our favourite Meowth". Nah mate, I like that evil one. ... ... ... the black one.

Nothing beats a jelly filled doughnut.

"Doesn't food taste better when you're with friends?" ...not really tbh.

Jessie will be eating it right now. ...yep. So, how long has Meowth been saving it, years? and well Meowth, if you wanted it so bad you should've ate it right away. And when did this waiting happen lol? you literally don't have the time to wait weeks meow face.

So now Meowth is grey and there's an Alolan Meowth in the background. Gee, I wonder what will happen in this episode?

Team Rocket cant tell the difference between a black and white cat lol. Oh, they knew it was dirt, fair enough. Still questionable tho lol

Where did Team Rocket gets those balls lol? and why aren't they using them? is this the new bottle cap collection?

and who needs old Meowth lol, this one is better. It can even make drinks! though it'll prob be a massive prank in a few mins.

Oh yes, it IS a collection. You're supposed to use them lol. I wonder if James would not use a Master Ball?

TR believing this evil Meowth lol

"we can use the Dark Type Z Crystal cuz it's a Dark Type?!" ...doesn't Meowth know Bite lol? or did he delete it after Gen 1 whilst it was a Normal move?

We're just gonna have to assume he deleted Bite lol

I like how they wanna catch Alola Meowth but not the one they're friends with for 1000 episodes who is still wild.

Giovanni can call and have the call answered without them picking up lol? good job they were in and also a good job they weren't... well you know... doing something Giovanni wouldn't want to see.

I like how this is the only thing Team Rocket have to report. Plus if Giovanni wanted to know about it, couldn't James just send the book he used with the info in? ...or Giovanni could Google it? the Pokedex info is known clearly lol so why can Giovanni not acquire this information lol?

I wonder if Ash's friends will know the difference between the Vaccine type and Virus type Meowths.

Jesus, Vaccine Mewoth's face in that pub.

Ash getting to use his Rock type in this battle is slightly unfair lol.

Meowth with a troll plan lol. ...aww, they knew the difference? that's no fun.

It casually uses an Electric move, neat. Kinda like that time Tyson had one. Just makes TRs even more weak lol.

Dig? and lol, I like how they added Litten being defeated at random from it.

A reverse trap!? this is the smartest Pokemon in the world lol

Hmm, couldn't they have recalled their Pokemon and then thrown the Pokeballs out of the hole to get the Pokemon out? then they could get help. I guess climbing up Turtonator could work but that sounds like it would burn lol

RIP. At least being burned to death got them out of the hole.

Lol, Rowlett got away easy.

I feel like Meowth is gonna free Pikachu himself out of pride of wanting to be the one to catch him lol

Mimikyu freed it? ugh, the Meowth thing would've been cooler and more in character for him. Missed opportunity.

Considering that they were able to talk during Ash dancing - why weren't TR able to just run away from the Z move?

...Bewear can fly now. ...criticisms deleted.

How did that Meowth get to Kanto XD did it swim? I'm impressed. I hope we see more of it lol, it's a funny Poke.

Still though, the Vaccine type Meowth can use Bite. Just gonna have to assume they used a move deleter.

"our favourite Meowth". Nah mate, I like that evil one. ... ... ... the black one.
:ROFLMAO: Good as usual.

Team Rocket episodes always kill me because I find them very enjoyable in Japanese and then the dub just butchers them so. badly.

This episode was a bit better than some of their other attempts, but there were still a lot of problems here. For starters, however, completely unrelated to the dub, I will say the plot was very enjoyable. I liked how devious Alolan Meowth was, and how he used Team Rocket to climb to the top of the corporate ladder. That was pretty amusing, a lot better than what I was expecting to happen (him to just turn on them in the end and run off with no real resolution to anything other than him just being a jerk). Having him just show up at HQ at the end of the episode was really funny and a great touch. So the actual plot of the episode I quite liked.

Also, I enjoyed seeing Oranguru and the bar again. SM does continuity very well. That's become one of my favorite recurring locations/characters in the series. Always get some good characterizations there, and Oranguru is just so chill giving these (usually sad and/or frustrated) characters their endless amounts of juice. It's a nice touch.

I hate that the writers think Team Rocket's "slang" and alliteration and all this nonsense is funny. It's not. It's so annoying. Jessie was the only one who had remotely normal dialogue (I've noticed this with the other Team Rocket episodes in SM as well, so that seems to have become pretty consistent). But Meowth and James...why?

First of all, there were so many repeated phrases in this episode it made my eye twitch. I know people get annoyed by reused animation, but nothing annoys me more than repeated dialogue. How many times did James use the phrase "old chap" or "chum" in this episode alone? Seriously? Also, Meowth repeating the name of the limited edition ice cream over and over again got really annoying really fast. It was funny the first two times, and by the third time I was like "alright, we get it, it's a limited edition cheesecake rainbow yadda yadda".

I will say it was super cute when James offered to give Meowth the pudding he had stashed away. I love that side of James! It's something I feel like the anime doesn't explore enough, at least not in more recent seasons. He's such a sweet bad guy at heart, and that little line emphasized it perfectly.

Bewear also makes me lose it every time. Using the leaves to just swoop in and sweep Team Rocket away was too good. I love how you always know Bewear is gonna show up, you just don't really know how.

So I'd say the episode itself, content wise, was enjoyable and a fun watch. It's really just the way the dub chooses to dub Team Rocket that drags the episode down, which again, is nothing new, it just stands out so much more in episodes that focus on them.

I finally watched this episode today. Needless to say, I liked it, but Team Rocket still annoys the hell out of me. If I had a drink for every time they made an alliteration, I’d be dead.

Now, for the stuff I liked;
• Nice to see Giovanni again! I wish he made more appearances instead of his annoying secretary.
• I loved the Alolan Meowth’s voice (Apparently it’s Oliver Wyman a.k.a. the 4Kids version of Drew)! It suited him very well, and I’m glad they didn’t have Jimmy Zoppi voice him as well.
• The scene with Meowth acting drunk at the bar was pretty amusing. (I still prefer when Mallow did it, though)
• As always, Bewear never disappoints!

Now the stuff I didn’t like:
• As mentioned above, the dialogue still needs major improvement.
• The music still needs more variation, instead of the same three or four pieces over and over again.
• Another thing that bugs me is that I can barely understand what Team Rocket is saying most of the time. The actors deliver their lines too fast and too muffled. It’s like they’re speaking an alien language.
• And most importantly...PLEASE STOP MAKING MEOWTH SAY “OY VEY”!

Last edited:
AH YES! Finally the Alolan Meowth debut episode I had been waiting for.

Jessie, that's no fair! :(

So the mud happens to be the same color as an Alolan Meowth's fur. :whistle:

Sorry not sorry, eh, Jessie? ;)

Yup, Meowth sure is acting too gentle for his character. Alarm bells ringing, Team Rocket!

So, a bout of angry shout is enough to shed all that mud off. :p

Umm, being a Dark type is enough to warrant being able to use Black Hole Eclipse, eh? Oof! Wish life was that easy. Contrarily, Meowth, you are supposed to know Bite... Show that Alolan Meowth, who's boss?

Oranguru yay!!! Man, Oranguru must be real patient to be able to hear others' rants like that. I am jealous!

B-but Litten and Lycanroc quarrel as well... and that too over petty things. Sophocles, that's no fair! (n)

Couldn't Pikachu just hit Meowth with a Quick Attack and stop it? :rolleyes:

Damn that Alolan Meowth is a strong battler. Sorry, MTR, you might be my favorite Meowth over here but have to say what I have to say.

LOL MTR got trolled.

LOL Jessie got trolled.

Jeez, Gigavolt Havoc! o_O That's overkill!

Bewear, the Buzzwole wannabe.

Huh, so Alolan Meowth joined Matori's team. That's nice, I guess! (y) Poor Team Rocket got tricked hard though. Ah, at least it turned out well for them in the end. (y):D

Wow, this was such an entertaining episode. Alolan Meowth's cunning was so impressive and fun to watch. Here's hoping we get to see it in future episodes more often.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom