• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP21: Turning Heads and Training Hard!

I still dont understand how someone like Ilma can participate in the Kalos League, one of the hardest Leagues of all Leagues with an Eevee and a Smergle.

I still dont understand how someone like Ilma can participate in the Kalos League, one of the hardest Leagues of all Leagues with an Eevee and a Smergle.
If I understood correctly, the Kalos League isn't just the League Conference. It also consists of the Gyms and such. So I guess he could've challenged a Gym or two, maybe?

Had another listen to Ilma's voice. I'm pretty sure it's Michael Liscio Jr who's voicing him since there is some tiny traces of his Clemont voice at points.

Managed to find a dub episode to watch, not a bad episode, nice to see Zipp and Rapp referred to by name for the first time

Nice to see Pokemon like Drowzee and Ekans that we haven't seen for a while

I missed this episode when it first aired, but I saw a review on youtube, so I was a little caught up before watching the dub. I have to say the dub edit regarding Tupp's grudge is unusual for sure. We've had episode after episode of Brock flirting with random girls. Ilima's character's alright. Didn't do anything to make me dislike him. He is just average, but hey Eevee is always good to see and as always super cute. All the girls cheering reminded me of Gary's cheerleaders. I wish we saw the battle between Ash and Ilima, but they'll probably battle in the Alola League anyway. Ash, please bring back Hawlucha beat him.

EDIT: If I made this episode seem worst than it is, then I didn't attend to. Yeah, this episode may not have done everything, but I didn't hate it. I actually like seeing Ash and his friends have fun once in a while, I just like seeing the battles to make the episode seem more complete for me personally.

Last edited:
I watched this episode for the first time today. Here are my thoughts:

• I can’t stand Ilima’s voice. It did not suit him at all. Could the actor sound any less interested? The rest of the cast was great as usual, especially Billy Bob Thompson as Tupp.

• As for the episode itself, it was pretty good. There was a lot less cringy dialogue, surprisingly. But I have to question where all those other Team Skull members came from. Did they suddenly gain a lot of new recruits since their last appearance? I hope this means that we’re going to eventually meet OUR BOY GUZMA.

I LOVED Ilima's voice. He sounded just like I imagined he would when I played the games! I literally cheered out loud when he talked. I tend to get an idea of how I think the characters would sound when I play the games, and they rarely end up matching in the anime. Ilima 100% did, and I loved it. Yeah, it was pretty mellowed, but I think it matches his character perfectly.

Is it mean that I cringed when they brought up Kalos? I will admit though that I love the continuity aspect and that they'll mention other regions and even specific cities (the treats Ilima bought being from Lumiose City.) I'm just still annoyed by XY so hearing Kalos immediately made me groan, lol.

The kids freaking out over Ilima and trying to see if the rumors were true was super funny. They really do a great job in this series of actually having them act like kids. The scenes with Komala and the diving were very fun.

Getting to see Extreme EvoBoost in the anime was awesome! That to me is one of the coolest Z Moves. I busted up when I saw that the eeveeloutions are REAL, and not just plucked out of thin air. Just running away from your trainer because you got summoned for another Pokémon's Z Move? Awesome.

I had no problems with Tupp's grudge. I didn't even realize they'd changed it that much...I was still attributing it to him being jealous of Ilima stealing girls' attention from him and that he thought he was in his prime back then (which is pretty sad/hilarious considering he's probably still a teenager at this point, aha). The whole point of the grudge was to be kind of petty/overblown anyway.

This was a fun episode! I love a well executed episode that features game characters, and I'm definitely hoping we'll get to see Ilima down the line in the Alola League.

Is it mean that I cringed when they brought up Kalos? I will admit though that I love the continuity aspect and that they'll mention other regions and even specific cities (the treats Ilima bought being from Lumiose City.) I'm just still annoyed by XY so hearing Kalos immediately made me groan, lol.
They did that as a reference to the games. Ilima's mother gives the player character a Lumiose Galette and mentions that Ilima used to study in Kalos.

I still cannot for the life of me believe how it is actually possible for Ilima to have just just come straight from the Kalos region and not even for one second recognize Ash as a person of interest. I mean if his placement within the Pokémon League there was not enough to make Ash a well-known face within the Kalos region, then his efforts during the Team Flare crisis most definitely should have.

I mean, there is not stayed tied down to the past in order to move forward towards the future and then there is simply ignoring the past, as well as very important deeds, events, actions and accomplishments for no real reason, despite them being more than worthy of actually mentioning.

I still cannot for the life of me believe how it is actually possible for Ilima to have just just come straight from the Kalos region and not even for one second recognize Ash as a person of interest. I mean if his placement within the Pokémon League there was not enough to make Ash a well-known face within the Kalos region, then his efforts during the Team Flare crisis most definitely should have.

I mean, there is not stayed tied down to the past in order to move forward towards the future and then there is simply ignoring the past, as well as very important deeds, events, actions and accomplishments for no real reason, despite them being more than worthy of actually mentioning.
Maybe when he comes back, he will say something about it. But I agree with you!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom