• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP26: The Young Flame Strikes Back!

Who reads the Who's That Pokemon in this episode? Ash and his classmates? Or Kiawe and his family with Bourgain?

So the COTD's name in the dub is Byron/Byren/Bryon/Brian/Brien/whatever and TPCI gave him a random Southern accent for some reason- weird choice, to say the least.

Everything else is what you'd expect these days script and VA wise, same with edit-wise so of course the Z-move kanji is replaced with nothing and left blank, though musically it's a 3/xx, so title card, XY wild battle, and SM wild battle- totem variant kept only.

I kind of cringed when Mimo referenced Turtonator as "Turty" a couple of times in the dub, too, it makes sense given how young she is but you'd think they could've given it a slightly less goofy nickname in the dub for her.

Besides that, Kiawe's Mom's VA completely underacted her lines when telling off Byron so it was hilarious to hear how flat her deliveries were when she was supposed to be literally shouting at the Byron guy for wanting to take the farm away. Jenny also sounds a bit too young, but par for the course these days, so yeah.

Dub title's at least a lot better than the nonsensical one 69 got, that's something.

Last edited:
Weird if Bourgain's name really is Byron as the dub usually seems to avoid dub names that are the same as Gym Leaders or other major game characters, but understandable all the same as they want to keep the money-related pun. They might just go with some weird spelling like Byren or Biron or whatever. As TPCi considers "Cerah" a normal name, I wouldn't put it besides them.

Who's That Pokemon!?:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfQFxESHsZ0

Pokedex Entries:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlLv0lBXPE8

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons

Tamir Cousins-Ali
Rebecca Becker
Sam Black
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Abe Goldfarb
Wayne Grayson
Martha Harms
Emily Jenness
Michele Knotz
Ryan Nicolls
Lisa Ortiz
H.D. Quinn
Bill Rogers
Lapica Shah
Billy Bob Thompson
Marc Thompson

Bonus Scene:

View: https://twitter.com/worldofkevinc/status/1025548713249394689

Always nice to see his name featured, probably does Bourgain, will refer to his Japanese name until we have confirmed spelling
If that's really the case then that guy needs a lot of acting lessons. Byron's voice was horrible in the English dub. He sounded more bored then anything else and lacked any form of passion when needed. Just like Kiawe's mom BTW. Can't wait to see how much the Dutch dub will improve this episode. It certainly can't become any worse so.

that guy needs a lot of acting lessons.

I'm pretty sure Wayne did have acting lessons back in the day considering he's in fantastic stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh and some of NYAV Post's stuff.

Regardless I'd say he was just about average in the role. Not as crazy as I'd hoped he sound due to weak direction. Maybe he'll improve as time goes on.

I'm pretty sure Wayne did have acting lessons back in the day considering he's in fantastic stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh and some of NYAV Post's stuff.

Regardless I'd say he was just about average in the role. Not as crazy as I'd hoped he sound due to weak direction. Maybe he'll improve as time goes on.
I know Wayne Grayson was his henchman guy with the shovel since he used some weird fusion of his Joey Wheeler and Lance voices for that (the ones that gang up on the Miltank etc.), but not sure he's dub Bourgain: regardless, I agree with Tim on this one that I found it below average, though Lisa Ortiz must've directed whoever "Byron" is in the dub to put on a psuedo-Southern accent and force it, so it goes back to the vocal direction to blame and not Grayson or whoever this happens to be (I'm doubtful it's him thus far, but it could be).

The vocal direction has been a problem with the dub for a while now, though, in fairness: I blame now departed Tom Wayland for starting the trend above all, then his successors Theresa Buchheister as well as Lisa Ortiz for somewhat continuing it.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom