• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP28: Sours for the Sweet!

Mallow is one of my favorite characters because of her personality. She's pretty care free, can be a bit silly and playful, and is full of energy.

It's hilarious that her brother makes her seem, in comparison, quite calm and mature.

I've been looking forward to watching this episode dubbed because I am so into the family units that are a part of SM, and it did not disappoint. Ulu was a delight. He could be a bit frustrating at times, but I really loved how that came across in comparison to Mallow. This was a really great episode for her. She got to play a bit of a different role here, and show off a different side of her personality, and I loved it.

The plot of the episode was okay, not the greatest, but I'm more so here for character personalities and development so that part of the episode was way more enjoyable and made me care less about the actual plot.

Also love how they had an entire episode dedicated to Professor Kukui and Professor Burnet's WEDDING, yet the mention of "fiancé" and all of Ulu's flirting still makes Ash's brain go haywire.

Underrated lines in the episode: Lana's "hi Mallow bro" and "hi Mallow papa." She's such a goof, I love her.

Here are my thoughts on this episode:

• This was a pretty good character study for Mallow. She’s my favorite of Ash’s female classmates in this series, so I was honestly looking forward to it. The only thing I can say I didn’t particularly care for was that we didn’t get to see more of the contest. They spent all this time talking about it, only to show it for like fifteen seconds! What’s the deal with that? But, otherwise, this was a great episode. Ulu is a great character. His lust for girls was a nice throwback to Brock.
• Dub thoughts: I loved Ulu’s voice. It really suited him. Rebecca Soler did a nice job, too, probably because this episode was so Mallow-centric. The rest of the dub was surprisingly good, except for Team Rocket, but, that’s the norm for the dub these days.
• While not as good as the Z-ring episode that I watched right before this, I still really liked the animation in this episode. There was some nice character acting on Ulu when he was going crazy over the women. I especially liked when he turned into stone and cracked upon finding out that the pancake woman was engaged.

Up next, a Mallow focus episode... I'm ready!!! :giggle:

Yeah, nothing hurts more than an aching back. :confused_emoji:

Alola Bread Festival? Interesting!

Oh, it's Mallow's brother, Ulu! Nice seeing him and Lickitung in flesh finally. (y)

So Ulu is here to participate in the Alola Bread Festival. Lovely. (y) I'd like to see what his training has given him in return.

Aww... Ulu has a crush on Nina. That's cute. :giggle: His "fantasy time" made me giggle TBH. :p

Damn dude, Kiawe just gets the short end of the stick every time, doesn't he? :(...:ROFLMAO:

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY LICKITUNG! :notworthy: Also, can't say I blame Kiawe on that one. :LOL:

Wow, Team Rocket's doing great! :coffee:

So, Ulu lost all the sweet Grepa Berries to a Snorlax. What aim :oops: Ahem, that's sad.

MALLOW TO THE RESCUE! :p

Man, the tangible nature of Sweet Scent kinda bothers me! o_O

Poor Team Rocket... And just when I thought how good they were doing... :cry::p

So, Nina has a fiancé. Ouch, that must have hurt. :(:p

Hmm... Mallow's restaurant did win the competition after all. That's great! Also, aww... Ulu left for his training so soon? I wish we'd see more of him in the upcoming episodes.

So, Ulu is Brock2.0 confirmed!?! :LOL:

A decent, entertaining episode. I'll give this a 9.5/10. (y)

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom