• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP28: Sours for the Sweet!

Mallow, her father and her Steenee read the WTP in the English dub

Corder is likely dub Ulu, I guess?

Anyway, wow...this is...frankly, one of the weakest dub episodes in the entire season, imo. I don't think anything has been this bad musically since SM060, so that right off the bat tells you it's a 1/xx musically, which means there's been 11 of these kinds of episodes in all in Season 21 (which is a record in the amount of "1/xx" eps. to date for any one season individually, but given Season 21 has the most music replacements on average of any Season in general, that's not surprising): only the title card jingle was kept in this episode's dub. Also, yes, the Wedding March got replaced with a dub variant before anyone asks there.

Not only was the music replacement going overboard an issue here, but there was a huge problem in how the dub VAs and even Lickitung's own dub VA pronounced its name throughout the first half of the episode. Looking at the Pokedex 3D app, it's supposed to be pronounced "Lick-i-tung" but only Ulu's dub VA said it correctly twice in the actual episode. Ash, Lana, and Rotomdex kept mispronouncing its name as "Licky-tongue" for whatever reason, and that's jarring when at the same time Ulu says it the way it's supposed to be pronounced- the quality checking needs work on Lisa Ortiz's part here, really, even more baffling is in the WTP segment you hear Mallow, her father, and Steenee pronounce it correctly yet Lickitung's own dub VA says it incorrectly. This is new for the dub to have inconsistent pronunciations of a Pokemon's name in the same episode, honestly, didn't happen before: there's been mispronunciations before, but those were at least kept the same in the same episode so it wasn't as jarring as hearing the right and wrong ones in the same episode simultaneously.

And not only was the vocal direction a problem here, on top of the music changes being too abundant, but the script writing was sadly horrid for this episode's dub to boot. There's all kinds of rewrites ranging from made up gibberish words like "Honey-bagea-licious" from James, to "Jellier" from Jessie, "Down the hatch" being said by the group in the dub when they ate when in Japanese they said "Thanks for the food," Ash saying "Let's eat already" in Japanese being changed to "Let's dig in," Jessie saying "You snooze, you lose, it's an ocean cruise" and various other lame alliterations/rhymes from James and Meowth in the dub, as well as Lana talking like a toddler in the dub with lines like "Mallow bro" and "Alola Mallow papa" when in Japanese she talks like a girl her age instead and bothers to add in "the," "'s" etc. to her words. There's also some made up fuse jokes for Team Rocket in the dub when they didn't say any of those in Japanese, as well.

All in all, this was rather sub-par in the dub: one of the poorest eps in the dub season, imo. Heck, even the acting seemed to be even more forced and flat in terms of deliveries than usual- this episode's dub just was not handled well, tbh.

Corder is likely dub Ulu, I guess?

Anyway, wow...this is...frankly, one of the weakest dub episodes in the entire season, imo. I don't think anything has been this bad musically since SM060, so that right off the bat tells you it's a 1/xx musically, which means there's been 11 of these kinds of episodes in all in Season 21 (which is a record in the amount of "1/xx" eps. to date for any one season individually, but given Season 21 has the most music replacements on average of any Season in general, that's not surprising): only the title card jingle was kept in this episode's dub. Also, yes, the Wedding March got replaced with a dub variant before anyone asks there.

Not only was the music replacement going overboard an issue here, but there was a huge problem in how the dub VAs and even Lickitung's own dub VA pronounced its name throughout the first half of the episode. Looking at the Pokedex 3D app, it's supposed to be pronounced "Lick-i-tung" but only Ulu's dub VA said it correctly twice in the actual episode. Ash, Lana, and Rotomdex kept mispronouncing its name as "Licky-tongue" for whatever reason, and that's jarring when at the same time Ulu says it the way it's supposed to be pronounced- the quality checking needs work on Lisa Ortiz's part here, really, even more baffling is in the WTP segment you hear Mallow, her father, and Steenee pronounce it correctly yet Lickitung's own dub VA says it incorrectly. This is new for the dub to have inconsistent pronunciations of a Pokemon's name in the same episode, honestly, didn't happen before: there's been mispronunciations before, but those were at least kept the same in the same episode so it wasn't as jarring as hearing the right and wrong ones in the same episode simultaneously.

And not only was the vocal direction a problem here, on top of the music changes being too abundant, but the script writing was sadly horrid for this episode's dub to boot. There's all kinds of rewrites ranging from made up gibberish words like "Honey-bagea-licious" from James, to "Jellier" from Jessie, "Down the hatch" being said by the group in the dub when they ate when in Japanese they said "Thanks for the food," Ash saying "Let's eat already" in Japanese being changed to "Let's dig in," Jessie saying "You snooze, you lose, it's an ocean cruise" and various other lame alliterations/rhymes from James and Meowth in the dub, as well as Lana talking like a toddler in the dub with lines like "Mallow bro" and "Alola Mallow papa" when in Japanese she talks like a girl her age instead and bothers to add in "the," "'s" etc. to her words. There's also some made up fuse jokes for Team Rocket in the dub when they didn't say any of those in Japanese, as well.

All in all, this was rather sub-par in the dub: one of the poorest eps in the dub season, imo. Heck, even the acting seemed to be even more forced and flat in terms of deliveries than usual- this episode's dub just was not handled well, tbh.

It is a great episode, I will give it 8.5/10! LOVE it and wanna watch it in German or French dub too!

Please no Criticizing, that will heard other people who love English, German or French version of this great episode (Western version)...If you don't like the dub, please simply ignore and don't watch it! That will give negative impression to everyone who wants to watch it! PIKACHU!

Mallow, her father and her Steenee read the WTP in the English dub
Wait so it ain't Mallow and her brother that read that? What a bummer.

It is a great episode, I will give it 8.5/10! LOVE it and wanna watch it in German or French dub too!

Please no Criticizing, that will heard other people who love English, German or French version of this great episode (Western version)...If you don't like the dub, please simply ignore and don't watch it! That will give negative impression to everyone who wants to watch it! PIKACHU!
Like I told you before if you want to be a happy go lucky hippie then don't bother other people with that. People have every right to criticize the dub if they want to. Just because you love the abysmal quality of the dub doesn't mean that everyone thinks like you. So quit trying to silence people cause that ain't gonna work.

Like I told you before if you want to be a happy go lucky hippie then don't bother other people with that
So quit trying to silence people cause that ain't gonna work.
I hope you see the complete irony in this.

I don't approve of KennyC222 plea to stop criticizing the dub. Anyone can criticize anything within the boundaries of this forum's rules. On the other hand however, if KennyC222 wants to be nothing but positive about the dub, he has that right as well. No one is going to silence anyone, not you, not KennyC222. Silencing is only something mods here will do and only when absolutely necessary.

So if we all could just abide by "live and let live" and continue talking about the actual subject matter, that'd be great.

I hope you see the complete irony in this.

I don't approve of KennyC222 plea to stop criticizing the dub. Anyone can criticize anything within the boundaries of this forum's rules. On the other hand however, if KennyC222 wants to be nothing but positive about the dub, he has that right as well. No one is going to silence anyone, not you, not KennyC222. Silencing is only something mods here will do and only when absolutely necessary.

So if we all could just abide by "live and let live" and continue talking about the actual subject matter, that'd be great.
I'm trying to change his attitude. That's quite different then what he's doing with him trying to shut other people up. Such a shame that you're unable to see that.

@BigDocFan When was the last time a speaking Lickitung appeared? Does it sound the same?
I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm very excited. I stopped watching the sub entirely so SM073 will be my first blind one in a while!
From what I've heard they seemed to have tried to copy the deep voice that he had in the Japanese version.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom