• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP29: Why Not Give Me a Z-Ring Sometime?

Who's That Pokemon!?:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQlyYHqJbPw

Bonus Scenes (Their Voices!)

View: https://twitter.com/worldofkevinc/status/1032543292565741569

View: https://twitter.com/worldofkevinc/status/1032543788571533313

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Rodger Parsons

Kate Bristol
Carter Cathcart
Jason Griffith
Melissa Hope
Emily Jenness
Lauren Kammerling
Michele Knotz
Ted Lewis
Michael Liscio Jr.
Michael McMillan
Haven Paschall
Erica Schroeder
Billy Bob Thompson
Marc Thompson
Pete Zarustica

Also please stop causing problems on dub review/appreciation threads. Its the only place we got

I’m willing to bet that Michael McMillan is Nanu. It does sound a bit like Richard Epcar (who would be my ideal voice for Nanu) and Wayne Grayson at points and according to his IMDB page
Michael McMillian - IMDb he has previously done some voice work with the Pokemon cast on a Gangstar mobile game.

Great episodes and their voices are so lovely! well done! :) Looking forward to seeing it in full length!

Don't think they sang any lyrics from the 4Kids dub here that I can recall, from what I saw.

Anyway, as for the actual episode, the dub's episode title is honestly cringe-worthy: while it makes some sense in context with the episode, it's kind of hard to take too seriously with that phrasing.

Voice acting wise, only talking about the new characters: some were fine, and others felt very off- hit or miss, honestly. Nanu's dub voice actor is kind of all over the place- the voice itself is unique on the plus side, and I give props to Michael for that because the Pokemon dub is known to spam actors in roles over the years be it either run. On the flip side, a lot of his deliveries are kind of flat and wooden at other intervals, and he kind of slips into like a really old man voice when he gets energetic so that needs a little work imo, but it can be tolerated at least compared to say, Ilima's super deep and manly dub voice from a few episodes back, so there's that.

Acerola, on the other hand...I was corrected by Kevin so it's not likely Haven Paschall and instead Lauren, who does the role in English, but she sounded an awful lot like dub Serena and/or Lillie at various points, and honestly, I find it unfitting so far. Acerola is supposed to be like 11-19 years old yet here I got the vibe of like a young motherly figure in her late 20s from the voice: sounds a bit too old right now, but I'm hoping that irons itself out with time.

Nene sounded an awful lot like Emily Jenness' Dawn at certain intervals- lately she seems to be the Lisa Ortiz/Marc Thompson/Tom Wayland of the VAs in terms of being cast for a variety of COTDs in the dub- kind of strange, but meh.

Pico's dub voice at points sounded oddly enough like Veronica Taylor's Ash from the 4Kids dub and then offshoots into its own thing at other times- again, that's interesting, to say the least.

Script wise, it's a TPCi Team Rocket focused episode so you get the usual rhymes and alliterations rewrites so I won't reiterate those, but what I will say is a KFC reference got into the dub script ("Finger lickin'") so that was kind of odd, to say the least. Also, the Z move kanji is not present in the dub as they leave it blank, but you know that already.

Music wise, it's a 3/xx, which while it isn't anything to be really happy about, is at least better than the last 2 weeks handling by the music department (to be specific, Goldfarb, Gopal & McNair): they kept the title card theme, the battle theme when Gengar fights Acerola's Mimikyu, and the Team Rocket motto theme. I mean, at least it's not the usual from them, so there's that.

Another odd thing I noticed to wrap this analysis up on my end: Acerola in the dub is called "Ace-ah-rola" by the VAs: just struck me as a bit strange given there's no a between ace & rola in her name, but that's about it. Everything else is the same as usual, so your mileage may vary as always- more tolerable than last week's dub episode, at the very least.

Last edited:
Don't think they sang any lyrics from the 4Kids dub here that I can recall, from what I saw.

Anyway, as for the actual episode, the dub's episode title is honestly cringe-worthy: while it makes some sense in context with the episode, it's kind of hard to take too seriously with that phrasing.
Just waiting for Kenny or someone else to quote me soon because having a different opinion is unwelcome to some, sadly.

Voice acting wise, only talking about the new characters: some were fine, and others felt very off- hit or miss, honestly. Nanu's dub voice actor is kind of all over the place- the voice itself is unique on the plus side, and I give props to Michael for that because the Pokemon dub is known to spam actors in roles over the years be it either run. On the flip side, a lot of his deliveries are kind of flat and wooden at other intervals, and he kind of slips into like a really old man voice when he gets energetic so that needs a little work imo, but it can be tolerated at least compared to say, Ilima's super deep and manly dub voice from a few episodes back, so there's that.

Acerola, on the other hand...I was corrected by Kevin so it's not likely Haven Paschall and instead Lauren, who does the role in English, but she sounded an awful lot like dub Serena and/or Lillie at various points, and honestly, I find it unfitting so far. Acerola is supposed to be like 11-19 years old yet here I got the vibe of like a young motherly figure in her late 20s from the voice: sounds a bit too old right now, but I'm hoping that irons itself out with time.

Nene sounded an awful lot like Emily Jenness' Dawn at certain intervals- lately she seems to be the Lisa Ortiz/Marc Thompson/Tom Wayland of the VAs in terms of being cast for a variety of COTDs in the dub- kind of strange, but meh.

Pico's dub voice at points sounded oddly enough like Veronica Taylor's Ash from the 4Kids dub and then offshoots into its own thing at other times- again, that's interesting, to say the least.

Script wise, it's a TPCi Team Rocket focused episode so you get the usual rhymes and alliterations rewrites so I won't reiterate those, but what I will say is a KFC reference got into the dub script ("Finger lickin'") so that was kind of odd, to say the least. Also, the Z move kanji is not present in the dub as they leave it blank, but you know that already.

Music wise, it's a 3/xx, which while it isn't anything to be really happy about, is at least better than the last 2 weeks handling by the music department (to be specific, Goldfarb, Gopal & McNair): they kept the title card theme, the battle theme when Gengar fights Acerola's Mimikyu, and the Team Rocket motto theme. I mean, at least it's not the usual from them, so there's that.

Another odd thing I noticed to wrap this analysis up on my end: Acerola in the dub is called "Ace-ah-rola" by the VAs: just struck me as a bit strange given there's no a between ace & rola in her name, but that's about it. Everything else is the same as usual, so your mileage may vary as always- more tolerable than last week's dub episode, at the very least.

It is very great episode well done! lala! 9.5/10!! WOHOO!

What a good episode! It’s good to see the TRio back in the spotlight. My heart melted when they all did the Z Move together and not just James. It’s good though that James gets his limelight and not just Jessie. The episode was really good as we also got to see Acerola. I really like Mimikyu episodes so the fact Jessie got a Z Crystal is good news as there will be more TR action.

I believe its to go off of reading it like A-seh-rola. Instead of reading it like two words that mash it into one, which is how I thought it was pronounced anyways :notworthy: didnt know it was pronounced differently to some people

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom