• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP30: Tough Guy Trials!

well, I think ash, nanu and acerola read the who's that pokemon segment in the dub

The entry is as follows: Krookodile, the intimidation Pokemon. A ground and dark type. Krookodile can see the smartest pray from miles away, even in the midst of a sandstorm.
Please, don't do that. Let Kevin post the video first. No offense, but I find videos a more reliable source, in case of typos and such.

looking forward to the footage! Can't wait to see the first battle between Ash and Nanu!
Here you go:
View: https://youtu.be/Vkf6OxsMf9M

Please, don't do that. Let Kevin post the video first. No offense, but I find videos a more reliable source, in case of typos and such.
I've seen the episode in question so I knew what I was talking about when I wrote that. Don't underestimate me. Once he uploads the video you'll see how right I am.

well, I think ash, nanu and acerola read the who's that pokemon segment in the dub
From what I've heard that's correct.

I'll take it from here! I'm happy to announce TVNZ has upgraded from 480 to 780p!
Who's That Pokemon!?:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMwIs2CLAAE

Pokedex Entries:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crE_6mQsspw

For the bonus scene, there are too many good ones to choose from. Do y'all have any requests?

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons

Sam Black
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Carter Cathcart
Abe Goldfarb
Martha Harms
Melissa Hope
Emily Jenness
Lauren Kammerling
Michele Knotz
Ted Lewis
Michael Liscio Jr.
Michael McMillan
Lisa Ortiz
Erica Schroeder
Billy Bob Thompson
Marc Thompson
Pete Zarustica

Apparently, the dub version fixed the dual-type error as Rotom Dex in Japanese says "A Dark/Ground type." Interesting.

Apparently, the dub version fixed the dual-type error as Rotom Dex in Japanese says "A Dark/Ground type." Interesting.
That's nice, at least. Unfortunately, they made up for that with some of the annoying script rewrites (especially from Jessie in this one), but that's how it always is- again, the usual obligatory rhyming and alliteration there so it's nothing new.

Goldfarb and Gopal, on the other hand, seemed to be even more...pardon the phrasing here but "ADD" is the only way I can think of saying it...than usual as far as the music replacement goes, though, so many nonstop cues they made that changed every 10 seconds and kept on going wall-to-wall the whole episode (which while "wall to wall" is true for most episodes, it was especially jarring here because they couldn't decide what cues to stick with for more that). I also lost it laughing when there were whimsical bell chimes playing when Ash's Lycanroc got hit by Nanu's Krookodile's mud slap, it just does not fit the serious mood of the battle to me. Also, it's another 1/xx, the only piece of music that was kept was the title card jingle from the Japanese Version: unfortunate, but for Season 21, I'm not surprised.

Rotom's dub voice is also even more high pitched and squeaky than usual, too, they really need to pitch it down sometimes (like when it says "They keep turning out like THIS," "unscientific," and "Does not compUTE!"). Acerola's dub voice also sounds more or less as woman-like as last episode in the dub, Nanu's kind of stiff/flat at times and alright at others, nothing's really different there either imo. Everything else is more or less the same as it usually is on that front, though.

Last edited:
Looking through the VA lists, I have narrowed down Poipole's VA to one of the following

Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Emily Jenness
Jessica Paquet
Kate Bristol
Laurie Hymes
Lisa Ortiz
Michele Knotz
Rosie Reyes
Sarah Natochenny

Next week should make it clearer as none of Ash's classmates are seen or heard

That's nice, at least. Unfortunately, they made up for that with some of the annoying script rewrites (especially from Jessie in this one), but that's how it always is- again, the usual obligatory rhyming and alliteration there so it's nothing new.

Goldfarb and Gopal, on the other hand, seemed to be even more...pardon the phrasing here but "ADD" is the only way I can think of saying it...than usual as far as the music replacement goes, though, so many nonstop cues they made that changed every 10 seconds and kept on going wall-to-wall the whole episode (which while "wall to wall" is true for most episodes, it was especially jarring here because they couldn't decide what cues to stick with for more that). I also lost it laughing when there were whimsical bell chimes playing when Ash's Lycanroc got hit by Nanu's Krookodile's mud slap, it just does not fit the serious mood of the battle to me. Also, it's another 1/xx, the only piece of music that was kept was the title card jingle from the Japanese Version: unfortunate, but for Season 21, I'm not surprised.

Rotom's dub voice is also even more high pitched and squeaky than usual, too, they really need to pitch it down sometimes (like when it says "They keep turning out like THIS," "unscientific," and "Does not compUTE!"). Acerola's dub voice also sounds more or less as woman-like as last episode in the dub, Nanu's kind of stiff/flat at times and alright at others, nothing's really different there either imo. Everything else is more or less the same as it usually is on that front, though.
They also seem to have been too moronic to call his kendama by it's name and decided to just call it his favorite toy instead. Cause God forbid children learn anything new from this show. Also Acerola's lines in which she talks about how she took that toy as a hostage have also been removed in the dub. Nothing new of course but still worth mentioning I guess.

Script changes like that really aren't that big of a deal when its still getting the point across
Also I cried when Ash cried, fight me
I guess but it still doesn't make sense seeing as there are even competitions with that thing held in the US. Plus if a kid wanted that toy they would have no idea what it's called since the dub refused to call it by it's name.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom