• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP34: Twirling with a Bang!

Most of the UBs that we have seen are treated like a joke...
The only one that's treated anything resembling serious was Celesteela, and that's only because it's based on a rocket, whose takeoffs are in fact extremely dangerous

Who knows, maybe the writers have learned their lesson and the others will also be handled tactfully

Naaaah

I really love SM as a whole, and I'm rarely ever critical of it because I genuinely enjoy the humor and the slice of life episodes the series has presented. I will say, however, that I have found most of the Ultra Guardian based episodes to be super boring. First of all, that stock animation they keep reusing is distracting as hell. I really try not to be one of those people who complains about that, because usually I really don't care, but the fact that in many of the shots some of the classmates look surprised/confused as to what's going on when they're transforming is so off putting. Obviously it was fine the first time they used it, it was a new thing. But we've gone through this multiple times now and they're still reusing shots of the kids looking like they don't know what's happening. I would have at least cut those shots out in terms of reusing the sequence.

It doesn't help that the Ultra Beasts are weird as hell. I know, they're supposed to be aliens. But it's been a while since I played the games and I forgot how freaking weird looking some of these things truly are. These two were something else. And having to spend a majority of the episode watching them competing with one another...with fireworks and electricity? Yikes.

HOWEVER, I absolutely have to give credit where credit is due, because this episode featured what was easily one of the funniest freaking lines this dub has ever given us. When Kukui tells the kids that people want them to do their fireworks again, and they're trying to remember how they did it, and what they should do, and...

Ash (I think, idk this wasn't the important part): "What should we do?"
Lana: "Charge for admission."

When I tell you that I all but SCREAMED laughing because it was THAT funny. The deadpan delivery, her little salute, the look on her face...it was so amazingly timed and perfectly delivered and I absolutely loved it. This dub can be cringey as hell, but that Lana line was sheer brilliance. I've laughed out loud a lot during SM, but that one took the cake by far. I adore Lana.

So yeah, basically the whole episode was awful, but Lana's ending line made my entire night and actually made me hate the episode a little less.

I really love SM as a whole, and I'm rarely ever critical of it because I genuinely enjoy the humor and the slice of life episodes the series has presented. I will say, however, that I have found most of the Ultra Guardian based episodes to be super boring. First of all, that stock animation they keep reusing is distracting as hell. I really try not to be one of those people who complains about that, because usually I really don't care, but the fact that in many of the shots some of the classmates look surprised/confused as to what's going on when they're transforming is so off putting. Obviously it was fine the first time they used it, it was a new thing. But we've gone through this multiple times now and they're still reusing shots of the kids looking like they don't know what's happening. I would have at least cut those shots out in terms of reusing the sequence.
There are multiple action shows that use stock footage for suit-up/launch sequences. I even grew up with one, and I always loved watching the same launches happening again and again. Hence why I don't mind the reuse of footage with the Ultra Guardians either and have mild difficulties in understanding why other people do. Seeing things from someone else's point of view has never been one of my strongest suits.

There are multiple action shows that use stock footage for suit-up/launch sequences. I even grew up with one, and I always loved watching the same launches happening again and again. Hence why I don't mind the reuse of footage with the Ultra Guardians either and have mild difficulties in understanding why other people do. Seeing things from someone else's point of view has never been one of my strongest suits.

Like I said, I really don't care about them reusing footage. They do it constantly so I'm used to it, and pretty much just ignore it. It's more so that it's clear in that specific sequence that it was from the very first time they "transformed" because some of them look genuinely surprised by what's going on. It just looks...weird.

That's the least of the Ultra Guardian episodes problems, honestly; the poor writing and weird plots in them bother me way more than the stock footage. But I still find it weird.

Another Ultra Guardians episode... Hmm, let's see how this one goes. (y)

A Fireworks festival? Interesting... And damn, that's a glamorous show all right! :love:(y)

Blacephalon!! YIKES!! :eek: Err... Hmm... Looks like its head explosions didn't do damage at all though; I guess there's no reason to worry then. (y)

A performer Blacephalon?! That's what I'm talking about... :love::LOL: Also, wait up... Xurktiree debut too?! That's amazing! :cool:

Pikachu imitating Blacephalon was just the best. :LOL:

Still don't get how the magical costume change works, but eh... Whatever! :rolleyes:

Hmmm... Trouble at the power plant?! Looks like Xurkitree is up to something...

And, it's Xurkitree after all! #NicePrediction :LOL: I feel bad for it though. Stopped from consuming his favorite meal... That's depressing. :cry::LOL:

Yeah, making an electricity-spewing unwordly beast follow you is not probably the best idea. :oops:

Wait that head explosion did damage?! Geez Blacephalon, be consistent! :rolleyes:

Err... Blacephalon and Xurkitree quarreling over whose a better firework Pokémon? Well... that's intriguing, to say the least. (Of course it's Blacephalon; quit wasting our time, Xurkitree :rolleyes::LOL:).

Oof, six Beast Balls wasted just like that... :cry:

Damn, Ash's strategy was pretty clever. (y) But wait, wait... Did that thing just hang in mid air. :rolleyes: Also, unfortunately it seemed to have backfired, considering how Blacephalon and Xurkitree were about to up their game in response. Thank heavens, the group was saved by Splintered Stormshards. Nice seeing the move in the anime though. (y)

Hey look it's Tapu Koko... :D Ah, farewell Blacephalon and Xurkitree. I hope to see you again someday. (y)

"Charge for admission"?! I love Lana LOL. :LOL:

A decent episode. It was great seeing two Ultra Beasts in one episode. I'll give this a 9/10.

Also, I think I need more of this Ash... :LOL:

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom