• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Review S23 EP09: Finding a Legend!

I'm not really that active these days, sorry
Reaction score
  • Staff
Cast:
Sarah Natochenny
Zeno Robinson
Michele Knotz
Rodger Parsons
Ray Chase
Casey Mongillo
Tara Jayne Sands

Sam Black
Billy Kametz
Erica Schroeder
Marc Thompson
Christina Vee

Reaction score
Cool seeing Cristina Valenzuela in the main series again. She’s one of the most prominent LA VA’s when it comes to LA Pokémon dubs.

Shiny hunter
Reaction score
I used 'alternate means' to watch part of this because it's not available on Netflix where I am and I see that they've removed the Pokémon Go catch bonuses altogether. In the Japanese version there were catch bonuses for both Stantler and Misdreavous, whereas in the dub there are none for either, so it seems as though rather than dub them using the Rotom English voice they've elected to just not include them. I sincerely hope this is the case across the other episodes where they were featured. I couldn't check it for 6 because the site I used had a repeat of episode 5 advertised as episode 6 and didn't have episode 6.

Shiny hunter
Reaction score
But...why?!?
It looks to be another, "because we can," thing. I managed to find a source for episode 6, an episode which had several capture bonuses in the Japanese version. In the dub it has a single, "Nice!" across the whole episode, used for the capture of Metapod, one of the ones which didn't have a bonus at all in the original. At least the voice for it is less shrill than its Japanese counterpart.

My Little Ponyta
Reaction score
I was expecting this episode to be worse than the Sinnoh Iceberg Race, but I actually didn't hate it as much. Don't get me wrong, it was beyond boring and felt like a total waste of an episode, but at least the COTDs were more likable than the Piplup girl...

It bugs me that they don't make a bigger deal out of the connection between Ash and Ho-Oh. I'm glad he actually mentioned that he saw Ho-Oh when he started his journey, but that was basically it. No one really had any reaction to it...including Goh. This is just another example of why we didn't really need the COTD formula back. I would've much rather watched an episode about Ash's relationship with Ho-Oh. Chad and his grandfather weren't annoying or anything...they were just kind of useless.

Gotta love that at the end of the episode they show Goh with Misdreavus and Stantler but not Sentret. What even was the point of that capture, for real? They could've easily slapped Sentret into that scene just to remind us all he actually caught it. Guess Sentret will just be another capture that wastes away in the background...sigh.

Johto looked good, at least. They did a good job of setting it apart from the other regions and including some of its more notable details.

This series would really fare so much better without these bland COTD episodes.

Reaction score
I was expecting this episode to be worse than the Sinnoh Iceberg Race, but I actually didn't hate it as much. Don't get me wrong, it was beyond boring and felt like a total waste of an episode, but at least the COTDs were more likable than the Piplup girl...

It bugs me that they don't make a bigger deal out of the connection between Ash and Ho-Oh. I'm glad he actually mentioned that he saw Ho-Oh when he started his journey, but that was basically it. No one really had any reaction to it...including Goh. This is just another example of why we didn't really need the COTD formula back. I would've much rather watched an episode about Ash's relationship with Ho-Oh. Chad and his grandfather weren't annoying or anything...they were just kind of useless.

Gotta love that at the end of the episode they show Goh with Misdreavus and Stantler but not Sentret. What even was the point of that capture, for real? They could've easily slapped Sentret into that scene just to remind us all he actually caught it. Guess Sentret will just be another capture that wastes away in the background...sigh.

Johto looked good, at least. They did a good job of setting it apart from the other regions and including some of its more notable details.

This series would really fare so much better without these bland COTD episodes.
They made a classic Johto filler.

Edit: but without Team Rocket. :cry:

Reaction score
A decent episode, if a cliché plot of an old man learning its the journey not the destination that matters.

Ho-Oh is my favourite Legendary so I'm always hyped to see him. It's a bit weird to see the hyper-Japanese looking Eckruteak City which is just a bus ride away from the not-so Japanese looking Vermillion City. Best boi Cyndaquill being the partner 'mon of the COTD makes me smile. Legendries definitely don't feel quite so "legendary" what with Lugia, Ho-Oh and later Zapdos just casually showing up in regular episodes it seems. At least Ash learned what the name of the mysterious bird he saw back when he first met Pikachu (cool to see that scene recreated). The only thing that felt out of place was the random Stantler and Mistrevous acting as roadblocks for five minutes.

Side note: I was so certain that the ancient Hoothoot on Gramps' shoulder was actually dead and taxidermized until it woke up towards the end. A shame.