• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S23 EP09: Finding a Legend!

Cool seeing Cristina Valenzuela in the main series again. She’s one of the most prominent LA VA’s when it comes to LA Pokémon dubs.

I used 'alternate means' to watch part of this because it's not available on Netflix where I am and I see that they've removed the Pokémon Go catch bonuses altogether. In the Japanese version there were catch bonuses for both Stantler and Misdreavous, whereas in the dub there are none for either, so it seems as though rather than dub them using the Rotom English voice they've elected to just not include them. I sincerely hope this is the case across the other episodes where they were featured. I couldn't check it for 6 because the site I used had a repeat of episode 5 advertised as episode 6 and didn't have episode 6.

But...why?!?
It looks to be another, "because we can," thing. I managed to find a source for episode 6, an episode which had several capture bonuses in the Japanese version. In the dub it has a single, "Nice!" across the whole episode, used for the capture of Metapod, one of the ones which didn't have a bonus at all in the original. At least the voice for it is less shrill than its Japanese counterpart.

I was expecting this episode to be worse than the Sinnoh Iceberg Race, but I actually didn't hate it as much. Don't get me wrong, it was beyond boring and felt like a total waste of an episode, but at least the COTDs were more likable than the Piplup girl...

It bugs me that they don't make a bigger deal out of the connection between Ash and Ho-Oh. I'm glad he actually mentioned that he saw Ho-Oh when he started his journey, but that was basically it. No one really had any reaction to it...including Goh. This is just another example of why we didn't really need the COTD formula back. I would've much rather watched an episode about Ash's relationship with Ho-Oh. Chad and his grandfather weren't annoying or anything...they were just kind of useless.

Gotta love that at the end of the episode they show Goh with Misdreavus and Stantler but not Sentret. What even was the point of that capture, for real? They could've easily slapped Sentret into that scene just to remind us all he actually caught it. Guess Sentret will just be another capture that wastes away in the background...sigh.

Johto looked good, at least. They did a good job of setting it apart from the other regions and including some of its more notable details.

This series would really fare so much better without these bland COTD episodes.

I was expecting this episode to be worse than the Sinnoh Iceberg Race, but I actually didn't hate it as much. Don't get me wrong, it was beyond boring and felt like a total waste of an episode, but at least the COTDs were more likable than the Piplup girl...

It bugs me that they don't make a bigger deal out of the connection between Ash and Ho-Oh. I'm glad he actually mentioned that he saw Ho-Oh when he started his journey, but that was basically it. No one really had any reaction to it...including Goh. This is just another example of why we didn't really need the COTD formula back. I would've much rather watched an episode about Ash's relationship with Ho-Oh. Chad and his grandfather weren't annoying or anything...they were just kind of useless.

Gotta love that at the end of the episode they show Goh with Misdreavus and Stantler but not Sentret. What even was the point of that capture, for real? They could've easily slapped Sentret into that scene just to remind us all he actually caught it. Guess Sentret will just be another capture that wastes away in the background...sigh.

Johto looked good, at least. They did a good job of setting it apart from the other regions and including some of its more notable details.

This series would really fare so much better without these bland COTD episodes.

They made a classic Johto filler.

Edit: but without Team Rocket. :cry:

A decent episode, if a cliché plot of an old man learning its the journey not the destination that matters.

Ho-Oh is my favourite Legendary so I'm always hyped to see him. It's a bit weird to see the hyper-Japanese looking Eckruteak City which is just a bus ride away from the not-so Japanese looking Vermillion City. Best boi Cyndaquill being the partner 'mon of the COTD makes me smile. Legendries definitely don't feel quite so "legendary" what with Lugia, Ho-Oh and later Zapdos just casually showing up in regular episodes it seems. At least Ash learned what the name of the mysterious bird he saw back when he first met Pikachu (cool to see that scene recreated). The only thing that felt out of place was the random Stantler and Mistrevous acting as roadblocks for five minutes.

Side note: I was so certain that the ancient Hoothoot on Gramps' shoulder was actually dead and taxidermized until it woke up towards the end. A shame.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom