• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S23 EP12: Flash of the Titans!

It’s kind of weird that they changed the TRio’s Rotom Phone from being smug to an actual child, though it is kind of funny. Though, I didn’t think the Rotom was what had the knowledge, it’s the Pokédex that has the info and Rotom is just conveying it, so it doesn’t really make sense.

It’s kind of weird that they changed the TRio’s Rotom Phone from being smug to an actual child, though it is kind of funny. Though, I didn’t think the Rotom was what had the knowledge, it’s the Pokédex that has the info and Rotom is just conveying it, so it doesn’t really make sense.

I want to know what it sounds like when Team Rocket were questioning Giovanni as why they got two Dusclops in episode 16 and the RotomDex was being sassy about it, I wonder what its going to be like in the dub.

Leon's speech is the same in both versions. The legend knows how to make a great speech.
One minor difference is that in the Japanese version, he says that he'll learn from this battle too, before correcting himself to say "victory" instead, while in the dub, he says "victory" from the start.

Finally made it to the end of the first 12 episode run and I have to say, this one was probably my favorite of the bunch!

It's great that we finally get introduced to the World Championships in the dub (I am not calling it the World Coronation Series...it's a stupid and unnecessary change that bugged me all episode) along with Galar's gigantic stadiums suitable for dynamax and gigantamax. I do wish they had kept the awesome dynamax music from the original, though. It's one of my favorite soundtrack pieces in the show's whole run and whatever the dub replaced it with wasn't even a fraction as interesting.

Awesome to see Lance again (and hear his old voice!) and cool to see the debut of Leon. I quite like his dub voice and think it fits him well. The dialogue between Leon and Lance was also very well written.

Team Rocket's Rotom phone is easily my favorite in the Japanese, so I'm glad to see that the dub went in a humorous route as well, albeit in a slightly different manner. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. I also think Team Rocket's lines were pretty good this episode; loved the return of Jessie getting the names of things wrong!

I will say, I don't like how Netflix/TPCI/whoever decided to make the releases 12 episodes each. It's a bummer that this initial run of episodes ends up on a cliffhanger. I get it leaves you wanting more, but...it's a 3 month wait. Fortunately for me, I've stuck to watching only one episode a week, so I only have to wait a week between this and the next episode, but it's gotta be annoying for people who are watching all of the episodes at once.

(I am not calling it the World Coronation Series...it's a stupid and unnecessary change that bugged me all episode)
My guess is the change was made to distinguish it from the real life Pokémon World Championships.
I will say, I don't like how Netflix/TPCI/whoever decided to make the releases 12 episodes each. It's a bummer that this initial run of episodes ends up on a cliffhanger. I get it leaves you wanting more, but...it's a 3 month wait.
Agreed. And it's not getting any better with the future batches. The upcoming one cuts off just before Ash's epic rematch with Korrina, and the third one is going to cut off just before Ash revisits Alola.

My guess is the change was made to distinguish it from the real life Pokémon World Championships.

Agreed. And it's not getting any better with the future batches. The upcoming one cuts off just before Ash's epic rematch with Korrina, and the third one is going to cut off just before Ash revisits Alola.

That could make sense; I just still really hate the dub name, lol. I found the monarch thing especially cringey (I know it matches the whole coronation theme, it just sounds so weird). Doesn't take away from the actual episode at all, of course! I'll just keep using the Japanese title myself.

Also, UGH. I knew the Korrina episode was gonna get pushed back to December but I thought Alola would just make it under the cut for that batch. Guess I counted wrong. They should've just made the releases 13 episodes; one extra episode wouldn't have hurt.

The reason Dreadnaw's roar at the end fades out quickly to the credits is because I think it's a bit dramatic to leave you on a cliffhanger for 3 months and not knowing what the gigantamax Drednaw does when it's causing chaos in the Wyndom stadium. I did watch Pokemon Origins after that episode to fill in the 3 month gap.

Hmm...this was an episode I had been waiting expectantly for but after finally reaching it I was kinda disappointed? When an episode centers on a specific battle you have to make sure it's good, which I found this one to be sorely lacking. The main offender was Gyarados whose lack of mobility made it boring to watch - which was exacerbated when Dynamax came into play. They just kinda stood there spitting attacks instead of clashing against each other like true Kaiju should.

Aside from the battle, something else that bothered me was the wasted inclusion of Lance and Eternatus. Granted this is only through the power of hindsight (or foresight?), but Lance's only contribution to the episode was being a big name punching bag to boost up Leon. Knowing that he doesn't play a further role and could've been easily replaced with someone else really irks me - it fills me with apprehension for Korrina's episode. Similarly the presence of Eternatus while foreshadowing the eventual DD plot is ultimately undercut by the episodic format and feels out of place since it won't come up again for who knows how many episodes. If you haven't played the games you wouldn't know what that was supposed to be and would likely forget all about it afterwards. :(

So yeah...I did like that Wyndon actually looks like how it should this time. :)

Gyarados moved around a lot while using Aqua Tail and Ice Fang.
Saying "a lot" is being generous methinks since it was mainly two aerial launches via aqua tail and a forward dash through Ice Fang. His agility (as in the actual word, not the speed stat) was practically non-existent as evidenced by his inability to turn once he lunges in a direction. Lance really should've rethought the idea of sending out a Sea Serpent on a dry land field, even if it was for a Type advantage. :unsure:

Regardless, t'was not very interesting to watch either way.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom