• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S23: Pokemon Journeys: The Series Episode Dub Title Thread (and Reflections)

JN047: Crowning the Chow Crusher!
Airs on March 15 (POP UK)
"There’s a big competition in Vermilion City, and heroes and villains alike are digging in to win!"
Source: POP

JN048: A Close Call... Practically!
Airs on March 16 (POP UK)
"As Ash and Goh enjoy their eatery tour in Unova, two of their Pokémon bond in ways they never dreamed!"

"There’s a big competition in Vermilion City, and heroes and villains alike are digging in to win!"

"As Ash and Goh enjoy their eatery tour in Unova, two of their Pokémon bond in ways they never dreamed!"
Ugh

Dammit. It took me too long to notice this, and Blazingfist got to make most of the Bulbapedia link edits. Nothing world-shattering, of course, but I just get a lot of satisfaction from getting to do them.

Last edited:
Season 23 is now over, with Batch 4 airing on Netflix just now.

This was not only a drastic change for the original show, having all 8 regions in one series, but also for the dub. We got 2 new dub studios, 2 new voice directors, so many new VAs, a new platform and a new release format. It's crazy! Not to mention everyone recording during the pandemic.

So, now that we have no more dub titles, why don't we share our reflections on the season. Mainly dubbed, but either way.

Overall I have to say, this is best dub season since S14. I really liked it overall. Zeno Robinson did a good job of Goh. Cherami Leigh did a Good Job as Chloe as well. I still dislike them naming the PWC as "World Coronation Series" that was ridiculous but I admit, the name has grown on me. I personally don't have a problem with them localizing things and renaming Japanese Texts. I never understood the complaints behind it. Like guys, its an English Dub marketed towards Western Kids.

Last edited:
While the dub didn't really change my feelings on Journeys as a series overall, I do think the dub itself has been very strong. The new VAs are very good; I'm particularly into Goh and Chloe's voices, although Professor Cerise gets honorable mention as well. I'm not really someone who pays much attention to the music, so I don't have much of a comment on that, but I guess it's fine since I never really notice it in a bad way? I'm happy they reused SM tracks in the Alola episode, though. I hope that's a common theme when and if other older characters appear.

I'll agree the renaming of the PWC is still something I don't agree with. I've kind of gotten used to "World Coronation Series" the more I hear it, but I still think "Pokémon World Championships" is just a better name and prefer it to what we got in the dub.

I do also have to say that the Netflix distribution doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would when it was first announced. One of the few positives of the pandemic was I got much more used to using streaming services to watch stuff, so even after less than a year airing this way, it feels pretty natural to me just to switch on Netflix when I want to watch the show. Still don't love the big batch releases, but at least I've got my own watching schedule and manage to stretch them out.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom