• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S23: Pokemon Journeys: The Series Episode Dub Title Thread (and Reflections)

Hidden Mew said:
The dub comes up, but not as much and mostly just as comparisons or to see how people react to voices or certain lines. I just don't really see a lot of reactions to the dub compared to the Japanese version as far as major events go, even when the anime had a weekly release. The Netflix release method doesn't help matters

That's exactly my point. The discussion was never that strong to begin with -- as you stated in your post -- but Netflix dumping all their episodes at once is making things even worse.

Yes, you were and clearly still are.

No no no. You made a poorly worded post, and so I pointed that out in a very plain and straightforward way. That is not rude, or me jumping down your throat, or being condescending.

Given that not all of the anime on Netflix have subs available, I'm not sure how much pressure they could put on TPCI or if it would even matter since it still probably wouldn't be up to anyone besides TPCI.

About 99.9997% of the anime on Netflix have Japanese audio + subs available, which is why I said "basically every other studio."

And while there is a point where yes, it is up to TPCi to do the right thing and join the 21st century, my point is that Netflix isn't completely powerless here and could be applying *some* pressure.

Yash said:
Anytime there's a poor dub of something, the problem is almost totally alleviated as long as the original version is made to be just as accessible. Even 4Kids eventually relented, and now the terrible dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh! or Sonic X can just work as funny little curiosities for fans of the Japanese versions. It's hard for me to get all rile up about the various story and music changes they made to those shows when you can just watch the uncut originals with a Crunchyroll or Hulu subscription.

100% this.

I actually think its easier to get English VAs back from previous companions compared to Japanse ones (cause they have more acting jobs)

In my language (- Dutch) I constantly hear the dub voices of May, Dawn and Serena.

No no no. You made a poorly worded post, and so I pointed that out in a very plain and straightforward way. That is not rude, or me jumping down your throat, or being condescending.

How is saying "Having official subs to go with the dub would be pretty neat though." a poorly worded statement? I'm not saying that legal subs would be a nice bonus or an extra treat. That was the wrong assumption to take from my statement. I'm saying that having legal subs would be neat, which shouldn't have led to us arguing when I do agree with you that legal subs should be available. Even if you weren't intended to be condescending, it definitely comes off as such given your tone and for seemingly getting on my case for using the term neat here.

Dogasu said:
About 99.9997% of the anime on Netflix have Japanese audio + subs available, which is why I said "basically every other studio."

And while there is a point where yes, it is up to TPCi to do the right thing and join the 21st century, my point is that Netflix isn't completely powerless here and could be applying *some* pressure.

To be fair, most of the other anime titles with Japanese audio available are from studios that have those same subs available on their own sites or other sites like Crunchyroll. Not to mention they are far more willing to promote that their titles are from Japan than TPCI seemingly is willing to do with Pokemon. I'm also not sure how many of the anime aimed at kids on Netflix have subs available there as well. I'm not sure that the other anime titles having subs on Netflix means that they could put on some pressure on TPCI when I don't think a lot of those subs are exclusive to Netflix either. They may not be powerless exactly, but how much influence they've had on getting subbed versions of other anime titles when that is standard for other studios like Funimation and Viz Media seems a bit questionable to me.

Last edited:
Episodes 37-40 are now out in French on MyCanal if anyone wants to watch. As I said before, they dub over the Pokemon names but you can hear how the dub music will be as well as text edits

vlcsnap-2021-02-14-11h34m49s818.png

Giving my whole two cents on the Netflix thing as the "dub guy", I definitely agree and hate the binge format. When it was weekly on DXD we had something to look forward to. It's clear the binge format has pushed away the remaining dub fans away somewhat, such as myself, just by looking at the threads here on the forums. They are completely barren. It's clear there is hype from this thread, but not enough.

Personally, it's hard to get excited anymore, I really hate saying that but it's true. Alongside irl ambitions, this was one of the reasons why I retired my Twitter account, because I couldn't keep padding out content for 3 month intervals. I probably won't go much longer on the forums either.

Giving my whole two cents on the Netflix thing as the "dub guy", I definitely agree and hate the binge format. When it was weekly on DXD we had something to look forward to. It's clear the binge format has pushed away the remaining dub fans away somewhat, such as myself, just by looking at the threads here on the forums. They are completely barren. It's clear there is hype from this thread, but not enough.

Personally, it's hard to get excited anymore, I really hate saying that but it's true. Alongside irl ambitions, this was one of the reasons why I retired my Twitter account, because I couldn't keep padding out content for 3 month intervals. I probably won't go much longer on the forums either.
Same here. There's just something that's fun with talking about the dub weekly but alas the "You must binge it all and then wait for an eternity for the next batch!" curse has consumed Pokémon and now dub wise it almost always turns into a deserted ghost town once new episodes are up. Shame really.

As far as the dub threads here goes, they have been pretty barren before Journeys too. There might have been more discussion for some of the major episodes, but most of the discussion was focused on any edits or changes from the Japanese version more so than anything else since at least XY. The Netflix release certainly hasn't helped dub fans here in that regard, but I don't think that the discussion would be significantly different if it was back to a weekly release, especially when most users here are more focused on Japanese version.

As far as the dub threads here goes, they have been pretty barren before Journeys too. There might have been more discussion for some of the major episodes, but most of the discussion was focused on any edits or changes from the Japanese version more so than anything else since at least XY. The Netflix release certainly hasn't helped dub fans here in that regard, but I don't think that the discussion would be significantly different if it was back to a weekly release, especially when most users here are more focused on Japanese version.
Yeah. Dub discussions are almost dead due to their ways of releasing episodes. I do think that they should go back to the one episode a week format.

Yeah. Dub discussions are almost dead due to their ways of releasing episodes. I do think that they should go back to the one episode a week format.

If you read my post, I said that the dub discussions here were already minimal before Netflix started to release the series. That method obviously isn't helping the matter, but dub threads for the last couple of series have been pretty barren. There are usually pages of discussions for the Japanese episodes, while dub episodes are lucky to get two. Even then, most of the discussion were on edits, lines and changes made for the dub instead of the actual episode. I don't think a weekly release format is going to make a huge difference as far as dub discussions go here.

If you read my post, I said that the dub discussions here were already minimal before Netflix started to release the series. That method obviously isn't helping the matter, but dub threads for the last couple of series have been pretty barren. There are usually pages of discussions for the Japanese episodes, while dub episodes are lucky to get two. Even then, most of the discussion were on edits, lines and changes made for the dub instead of the actual episode. I don't think a weekly release format is going to make a huge difference as far as dub discussions go here.
The only option left is simuldubbing, but I'm not sure if that would work.

The only option left is simuldubbing, but I'm not sure if that would work.

It can't. Simuldubbing a seasonal anime is much different than simuldubbing a series that airs new episodes pretty much every week. That would be too difficult for the dub crew to handle, so it isn't an option.

I almost feel like TPCi is actively working to make the products they put out as unappealing as possible. If you're the average fan and you have the choice between weekly fansubs of episodes available (albeit illegally) almost as soon as they air in Japan, or an edited English dub that only comes out once every few months, which are you going to choose?

Hidden Mew said:
How is saying "Having official subs to go with the dub would be pretty neat though." a poorly worded statement?

Well I already explained why, and then got told I was being rude and condescending for doing so :censored:

(you've since clarified what you mean in subsequent posts, so I do get what you were going for now)

Pkmndub said:

That's a real shame. Like, I know you want to support the cast and other creatives who work on the show, but the way it's being released is making it so much harder than it honestly should be.

And I'm sure you've gotten a bunch of people coming up to you over the last year or so asking "So when does the next batch come out? And how many episodes?" Remembering that one new episode comes out every Saturday morning is easy, but how many people see having to go "OK, so the last batch came out in December, so the next one will be March-ish? Maybe? And I guess it'll have 12 episodes?" as being the better option?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom