• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S23: Pokemon Journeys: The Series Episode Dub Title Thread (and Reflections)

Well it did happen and I am disappointed. I really thought that Disney XD was a good place for the series and they treated the anime far in a way better than Cartoon Network did. Plus, they still promote the series' reruns and have episodes On Demand lasting until October, so I was positive that they'd keep it for the next series. Netflix is possibly more widely available in different homes than Disney XD is, so I'm sure that is an advantage for TPCI. I'm also not a big fan of releasing episodes in chucks. Twelve episodes every three months isn't too much, but Pokemon just isn't really designed to be binged watched like that. Given that the Japanese version is on hiatus right now, I do wonder what they'll do for the second batch of releases, although hopefully the situation will be easier in Japan and in the rest of the world by that point.

I'm also not thrilled with basically having to pay for another streaming service. I probably would have been more fine with Disney+ instead, but I guess Netflix needed some title to attract more kids to their platform. It's also kind of a shame that I'll have to watch new episodes only on my laptop. I like waking up on Saturday mornings to new episodes of Pokemon. I might be too sentimental, but it just feels comforting to me. I might just watch one new episode a week to keep up that kind of Saturday morning routine, if only because I'm that sentimental. I just like that despite how everything has changed over the years for me, I can still watch new Pokemon episodes on Saturday mornings. I don't have a smart TV, so I don't think I can stream Netflix on my TV instead. I'm content with watching Yu-Gi-Oh! that way because the dubs are far in a way worse than the Pokemon dubs and there's a good chance that U.S. channels may not air any Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs in the foreseeable future anyway, but not being able to watch the new series on my TV until a possible DVD release at least a year later is a bit sad for me.

The trailer itself is neat and I'm glad that we finally got some more solid information on the dub, but I am mostly disappointed that Disney XD seemingly isn't interested in airing the new series after they did a pretty solid job with SM. After putting over a thousand episodes on their website and promoting the series consistently, it's just a shame to see them not pick up this series too. Gou's dub name being Goh makes sense. I usually refer to the characters by their dubs names, but I may stick with Gou since I'm used to it, is only one letter different and I'm pretty sure they both sound the same anyway. I'll have to think about that. Gou's dub voice sounded fine from what we saw. It sounded a bit deeper or older than I expected him to sound, but it wasn't bad.

Well I did predict Netflix, right? And getting an smart streaming device like an Fire Stick or Roku is very cheap these days. Totally worth it especially with the amount of awesome streaming services you can use even free ones like Pluto TV.

Honestly with how slow & inconsistent the current series is, binge-watching in a netflix-esque way is much better at least for me. I remember when SM used to air and I didn't like how slow the series was early-on, I use to wait for 5-6 episodes to air so that I could binge-watch them and enjoy it at least a bit better. Also 12 Episodes every 3 Months is a great schedule. I don't the JP will resume before June so the Dub will only be 10 Episodes behind. Also the new OP isn't being performed by GoldFarb's Band for god's sake. So many nice changes and I'm loving it so far.

View: https://twitter.com/KGPrestige/status/1253346026267856896

Well, Go's voice is about what you expect out of this dub. Also, I hate that his name is Goh instead of Go.

Ugh, can't believe the Netflix thing came true. Guess I should've seen it coming after the movie, but Disney was still advertising the show a lot and airing it consistently, so I kind of thought they were gonna stick to that. Not a fan of the quarterly release thing either.

But the show itself looks great! The dubbing sounds really on point (although Gou sounds way different than I was expecting...maybe it's just because I'm so used to his Japanese voice at this point? I don't think it sounds bad or anything, it'll probably just have to grow on me).

I'm not surprised by Gou essentially keeping his name, but I actually like the Japanese spelling better. I'll probably just keep calling him Gou, honestly. Professor Cerice isn't a name I expected, but I like it. I wonder what Koharu's dub name is going to be?

I might just watch one new episode a week to keep up that kind of Saturday morning routine, if only because I'm that sentimental. I just like that despite how everything has changed over the years for me, I can still watch new Pokemon episodes on Saturday mornings.

This is what I'm gonna do. I can't stand to binge watch things, and I've always looked forward to having a new episode of Pokemon to watch each Saturday as well. It just kind of sucks because I know I'll be temped to watch each one with them sitting there (not in one day, more like one episode a day) but I'm gonna have to restrain myself because then I know I won't be happy waiting months for the next episodes to come out.

Last edited:
There is no spanish dub for now due to the freaking COVID

I would have liked to hear how Go sounded in spanish.

Also Sakuragi is called Cerezo that means Cherry Tree, also Go is called Gonzalez.

There is no spanish dub for now due to the freaking COVID
Worth pointing out that in Spain there will be some stuff that will be sub-only for the time being though some stuff even in English are somewhat affected.

The recent Ghost in the Shell series that's up on Netflix today has the Japanese track only (even with there being English dub credits except for Episode 7) with a message stating they are doing this for the safety of voice actors.

Are you from spain @RetroPokeFan ?
I'm from the UK actually. I only found out about the whole Spain dub scenario because I came across a news page where Netflix says they will be suspending dub production (as far as Spain is concerned) though I now can not find it for the life of me.

It’s weird that for how large of a property Pokemon is, it keeps becoming more exclusive. First it was on a basic channel with WB, then shifted to basic cable with CN, then more exclusive cable with Disney XD and now a subscription based streaming platform with Netflix. It seems that as time goes on, it becomes less accessible.

Well it did happen and I am disappointed. I really thought that Disney XD was a good place for the series and they treated the anime far in a way better than Cartoon Network did. Plus, they still promote the series' reruns and have episodes On Demand lasting until October, so I was positive that they'd keep it for the next series. Netflix is possibly more widely available in different homes than Disney XD is, so I'm sure that is an advantage for TPCI. I'm also not a big fan of releasing episodes in chucks. Twelve episodes every three months isn't too much, but Pokemon just isn't really designed to be binged watched like that. Given that the Japanese version is on hiatus right now, I do wonder what they'll do for the second batch of releases, although hopefully the situation will be easier in Japan and in the rest of the world by that point.

I'm also not thrilled with basically having to pay for another streaming service. I probably would have been more fine with Disney+ instead, but I guess Netflix needed some title to attract more kids to their platform. It's also kind of a shame that I'll have to watch new episodes only on my laptop. I like waking up on Saturday mornings to new episodes of Pokemon. I might be too sentimental, but it just feels comforting to me. I might just watch one new episode a week to keep up that kind of Saturday morning routine, if only because I'm that sentimental. I just like that despite how everything has changed over the years for me, I can still watch new Pokemon episodes on Saturday mornings. I don't have a smart TV, so I don't think I can stream Netflix on my TV instead. I'm content with watching Yu-Gi-Oh! that way because the dubs are far in a way worse than the Pokemon dubs and there's a good chance that U.S. channels may not air any Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs in the foreseeable future anyway, but not being able to watch the new series on my TV until a possible DVD release at least a year later is a bit sad for me.

The trailer itself is neat and I'm glad that we finally got some more solid information on the dub, but I am mostly disappointed that Disney XD seemingly isn't interested in airing the new series after they did a pretty solid job with SM. After putting over a thousand episodes on their website and promoting the series consistently, it's just a shame to see them not pick up this series too. Gou's dub name being Goh makes sense. I usually refer to the characters by their dubs names, but I may stick with Gou since I'm used to it, is only one letter different and I'm pretty sure they both sound the same anyway. I'll have to think about that. Gou's dub voice sounded fine from what we saw. It sounded a bit deeper or older than I expected him to sound, but it wasn't bad.
Buy a chromecast and you can stream to your TV

Well I did predict Netflix, right? And getting an smart streaming device like an Fire Stick or Roku is very cheap these days. Totally worth it especially with the amount of awesome streaming services you can use even free ones like Pluto TV.

I guess I'll have to look into those as well. Hopefully it won't be too expensive or involve a lot of programming to connect it since I don't have a smart TV.

This is what I'm gonna do. I can't stand to binge watch things, and I've always looked forward to having a new episode of Pokemon to watch each Saturday as well. It just kind of sucks because I know I'll be temped to watch each one with them sitting there (not in one day, more like one episode a day) but I'm gonna have to restrain myself because then I know I won't be happy waiting months for the next episodes to come out.

I enjoy binge watching, but I usually don't watch more than one or two episodes of a show per day. Sometimes it's more if I'm really into the show or wanting to catch up. It really just depends on my mood too. With Pokemon, I feel more comfortable binge watching reruns more so than new episodes, especially when I have most of the different series on DVD at this point. I wouldn't want to go through twelve episodes and not have anything new for months either. That would be kind of sad to go through three months' worth of episodes in about two weeks.

I do hope that the opening theme will be good. I don't expect the dub quality to change or for the Japanese version to be available alongside it, despite how both options would be neat, but having better longer opening songs again would be nice.

Buy a chromecast and you can stream to your TV

I'll check that out as well. Being able to stream the series on my TV would at least make the transition to Netflix feel a bit more natural for me.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom