• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S23: Pokemon Journeys: The Series Episode Dub Title Thread (and Reflections)

It’s weird that for how large of a property Pokemon is, it keeps becoming more exclusive. First it was on a basic channel with WB, then shifted to basic cable with CN, then more exclusive cable with Disney XD and now a subscription based streaming platform with Netflix. It seems that as time goes on, it becomes less accessible.
And next season you'll need to send a letter to japan so that they can deliver a pen drive that you can only play once and watch the episode.

Wow, Netflix it is.
Prof Cerice?
Goh? Sounds alot like Sawyer tbh

View: https://youtu.be/iF4o64-LO0Q

It seems they switched the professor's Japanese name with the French word for cherry. Really neat!

I'm glad they didn't give Go some random dub name like Bob at least, it's literally his name with the "u" that sometimes added getting replaced with an "h" so people don't mispronounce his name as Goo.

Last edited:
Local broadcasters so far:
  • Canada: Teletoon (May 9) / Télétoon
  • France: Canal J (early June)
  • Netherlands: RTL7/B.O.Z. (June 28)
  • United Kingdom: POP (September 1; sneak peek May 25)
  • Latin America: Cartoon Network Latin America
  • Brazil: Cartoon Network Brasil
  • Germany: Super RTL/Toggo.de
  • Italy: K2
  • Spain: Unconfirmed
Of these, only the UK's broadcaster has changed; everything else is the same. Netflix has only been confirmed for the US.

Now that I watched the trailer, Go's voice sounds familiar. Did he by any chance dub Spike from Ape Escape, at least in PSASBR?
Spike's actor in PSASBR was Marc Silk who is based in the UK and that's definitely not him voicing Go/Goh.
Of these, only the UK's broadcaster has changed; everything else is the same.
I kinda have to wonder why CITV is deciding to drop the franchise entirely yet besides Netflix in the US the other broadcasters are the same.

Then again it's not the first time they've done this.

Maybe they did this so that people pronounce his name correctly, kinda like how in the games, Ranse got turned into Ransei.
I don't really see how. How'd they pronounce then, like Goo? Regardless, it doesn't really matter.

I do hope that the opening theme will be good. I don't expect the dub quality to change or for the Japanese version to be available alongside it, despite how both options would be neat, but having better longer opening songs again would be nice.

Somehow I didn't even think about that. I'd love it if we got longer opening songs again! That would definitely be a plus to Netflix if we get it.

Somehow I didn't even think about that. I'd love it if we got longer opening songs again! That would definitely be a plus to Netflix if we get it.
The opening preview in the trailer was still only 30 seconds apparently. Also, with all the non-Netflix local broadcasters still airing the series elsewhere, I doubt the length would change.

I don't know what this will mean for my country, Portugal, but our local broadcaster (Biggs) has been acting weird lately. They are usually very active in promoting new episodes, and they always air them at the best timeslots, with one or two reruns per day. But a couple of weeks ago they started airing new episodes (the latter half of the last SM season) at 6 AM with no reruns, and they stopped after only 10 episodes (so new episodes stopped airing in the middle of the League). The following days they started to air a rerun of the season.
I mean, we can accept that there may be some trouble with the dub and that's why they stopped airing new episodes (though that seems very unlikely as the dubbing studio usually delivers the episodes months in advance), but the fact that they decided to air the episodes at 6 AM without reruns later in the day is very odd. It seems that they suddenly stopped caring?
Maybe this means that Pokémon here is also moving somewhere else. I like Netflix and here in Portugal we don't have many streaming services available so pretty much everybody has Netflix, and the Mewtwo movie was one of the most watched movies when it debuted.
I'll happily support Pokémon moving to Netflix if this means that we can have new episodes airing sooner. We are always behind the english dub so if this means that we will get new episodes at the same time as the rest of the world, than this will be good for us. Although our local broadcaster always did a great job with Pokémon here.
Another thing that may be great for Portugal is if Netflix decides to have every season and movie available. In Portugal our Pokémon TV app doesn't work (it has the brazilian portuguese episodes available) and we have never had a proper DVD release of the episodes (only the first 3 seasons were released on DVD/VHS), so many episodes from Johto League Champions for example are considered lost episodes here.

Well, it's a bummer that this doesn't affect Latin America. Not that Cartoon Network is bad but it would have been nice to see the episodes concurrently as the English Dub is released.

The gap seems really big for the first episode but decent for the final episode, but not as small as I expected. However, it could became smaller when they get to the Japanese hiatus, specially since dubbing en episode doesn't take a full week.

I imagine Bulbapedians would have to change lots of the previous episodes' release dates since now streaming dates take priority over TV ones.

I don't have a smart TV, so I don't think I can stream Netflix on my TV instead. I'm content with watching Yu-Gi-Oh! that way because the dubs are far in a way worse than the Pokemon dubs and there's a good chance that U.S. channels may not air any Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs in the foreseeable future anyway, but not being able to watch the new series on my TV until a possible DVD release at least a year later is a bit sad for me.
You could also try using an HDMI cable to connect your computer to your TV.
also Go is called Gonzalez.
I double-checked and thankfully that is not the case, he's called Goh. I don't say thankfully because it's a bad name, but because it would be a pain to fit three mouthflaps in one.

Last edited:
According to Bulbapedia "Professor Cerise" will have a translated\different version of his name in a bunch of countries. I'm not sure if it's happened with other characters since I just follow the Japanese version but this is interesting. I'm usually against this approach yet seeing it's a bunch of them doing it...

According to Bulbapedia "Professor Cerise" will have a translated\different version of his name in a bunch of countries. I'm not sure if it's happened with other characters since I just follow the Japanese version but this is interesting. I'm usually against this approach yet seeing it's a bunch of them doing it...
This is normal for professors even in the games, so it's not all that surprising.

The opening preview in the trailer was still only 30 seconds apparently. Also, with all the non-Netflix local broadcasters still airing the series elsewhere, I doubt the length would change.
I've read that the dub opening is being performed by a band called Walk off The Earth, could that affect the length?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom