• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S23: Pokemon Journeys: The Series Episode Dub Title Thread (and Reflections)

So.......I just heard that the new series is gonna be on Netflix now, so does that mean it's only ever going to be there and never on TV again, or does Netflix stuff air on TV as well? I don't use the site, so idk how any of it works.

So.......I just heard that the new series is gonna be on Netflix now, so does that mean it's only ever going to be there and never on TV again, or does Netflix stuff air on TV as well? I don't use the site, so idk how any of it works.
In PM/PJ's case, 12 Episodes are being released as a bunch on Netflix every 3 Months. The First 12 Episodes of the series are being released in June 12, 2020, next ones will probably in September, December and so on. And it will only be on Netflix and that's it. It could be on TV, if Netflix loses the rights (After PJ).

I'm still really curious what Disney XD is planning on doing with the series. Netflix has the rights to air this series, but I wonder if they're still planning on airing the other seasons for reruns. I say this in part because of how they still update episodes on their On Demand section and the most recent episodes are available until October.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Goh's voice here? I think it sounds alright. Not the best voice ever, but it could've been worse.

Also, I'm not a fan of this show being Netflix exclusive. I've never used Netflix and I'd rather not use it. It's just not my thing. Different strokes for different folks, you know?

Koharu doesn't have her dub name announced, but I think that she, like Gou, will keep her Japanese name in the dub.

Unless they decide to call her "April" or some other spring related name.

Not necessarily. May's Japanese name is Haruka, which is three syllables, and they shortened her name down to one syllable in English.
Yeah, they just have to get creative with it. Even Satoshi->Ash. "Ash Ketchum" fits the syllable count but it's not like they call him that every time.

So quick thoughts:
Gou's voice is surprisingly good, and I swear I've heard Professor Cerise's voice somewhere before. I can't pin it down though (and I'm not reading 5 pages of this thread to see if someone else has already idenfitied it lmao). Ash sounds fine as do the rest of the voices but shitty dialogue and replacement music do wonders to dampen even good voice acting so I'm not expecting much. I'm wondering if the switch to Netflix will impact the dub in any way.

Watch TPCi keep it as "Gou" but do something stupid like spell it as "Goh"

Of all the things to be right about I really, really hate that it was this. "Goh" is such a monumentally stupid change. I know both dubs of this show made far worse edits but this one really gets to me for some reason.

In PM/PJ's case, 12 Episodes are being released as a bunch on Netflix every 3 Months. The First 12 Episodes of the series are being released in June 12, 2020, next ones will probably in September, December and so on. And it will only be on Netflix and that's it. It could be on TV, if Netflix loses the rights (After PJ).
Its only got the rights on Netflix for America.

Courtesy of TvTropes:
Professor Cerise is voiced by Ray Chase:

Gou is voiced by Zeno Robinson:

Wow. Looks as if the show is now a LA/NY co-dub which I'm very happy to see. So not only are most of the NY VA's still on board but we're also gonna get to see the LA pool have their chance to be part of the series. Crazy times and I'm super excited for the dub now... probably more than previous seasons.

I'm seeing several people bring up issues with how Bulbapedia handles their page for this series and the corresponding epicodes. While that is understandable, I would like to remind everyone of the following: RULES: - Pokémon Anime and Manga Rules (Updated Aug. 9, 2017)

Bulbapedia issues have no place here. Please go here or here to discuss that particular subject. Thank you.

Local broadcasters so far:
  • Canada: Teletoon (May 9) / Télétoon
  • France: Canal J (early June)
  • Netherlands: RTL7/B.O.Z. (June 28)
  • United Kingdom: POP (September 1; sneak peek May 25)
  • Latin America: Cartoon Network Latin America
  • Brazil: Cartoon Network Brasil
  • Germany: Super RTL/Toggo.de
  • Italy: K2
  • Spain: Unconfirmed
Of these, only the UK's broadcaster has changed; everything else is the same. Netflix has only been confirmed for the US.
Then I guess we will need to start looking at the Teletoon schedules to get the episode names initially, until Netflix puts up some placeholders.

EDIT: I just got an idea, though I doubt the Japanese producers and TPCi would ever consider it. Would the production shutdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic create an opportunity to shift the anime to a simultaneous dub? I know Netflix holding the US rights makes that difficult, but the idea just popped up.

Last edited:
So it's gonna air first here in Canada? Unless Netflix makes it available before of course.

By the way didn't know Pokemon was aired in Teletoon here. Thought it was either CN or Disney XD just like the US.

So it's gonna air first here in Canada? Unless Netflix makes it available before of course.

By the way didn't know Pokemon was aired in Teletoon here. Thought it was either CN or Disney XD just like the US.
It was previously on YTV before jumping over to Teletoon. In fact most of the big shows are aired on those channels in Canada.

I guess I'll have to look into those as well. Hopefully it won't be too expensive or involve a lot of programming to connect it since I don't have a smart TV.

Any of the smart streaming devices are fairly simply to setup and use regardless if your TV is smart or not. Put in WiFi password. Install Netflix from whatever app store that is on the device (Roku, Amazon Fire, etc). Put in login and password for Netflix. Enjoy. Here's my recommended ones that are fairly inexpensive.

Roku Streaming Stick Plus 4K Edition With Headphones - Right now Best Buy has this for $50. Great device that you simply plug into the HDMI and you can have hidden right behind your TV. And the remote has an headphone jack on it as well so you can plug in any headphones to listen to audio that way from the Roku. Supports 4K/HDR streaming. And lots of apps on Roku.

Amazon Fire Stick 4K - I've seen this sometimes go for $35 and even at $25 on Amazon with the 4KFIRETV code at check out. Good device especially if you have Amazon Prime. Basically this is Android TV but Amazon themed. I prefer the Roku one I mentioned above but the Fire Stick 4K is an decent option.

Google Chromecast/Chromecast Ultra - Both of which will let you cast whatever you are watching on Netflix to your TV. You can get either for fairly cheap - $35 for the basic Chromecast and $60 for the Ultra (which does 4K/HDR). But... there is another option coming soon-ish....

Google Chromecast Ultra 2nd Gen - No pricing is known right now but what has been revealed is the 2nd gen version will basically be an Android TV device that comes with an remote and will also still do casting functions as well. I'm waiting on this myself as I know multiple people who have wanted something just like this.

And then there's more expensive devices that have higher end processors, more memory, etc such as the Roku Ultra and NVIDIA Shield TV. I personally own the 2017 version of the NVIDIA Shield TV which is a beast. Plus there's tons of great free content you can access on these devices easily such as Pluto TV and XUMO. I actually just subscribed to the $6 tier on Funimation so I can check out One Piece on the cheap. Just got to the Arlong Arc on that series.

I hope this is helpful for you even if this does derail from the thread topic a bit. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom