• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S23: Pokemon Journeys: The Series Episode Dub Title Thread (and Reflections)

In Thailand the new series will be called "Pokemon Journey". Usually Thailand uses the same titles and logos as the US

I expect Go to be named Almond in the dub, then.

Also SS is a little too old germanic souvenir. Not a good one tho.

I mean we had Pokemon DP and Pokemon SM. So SS doesn't sound so controversial imo.

No. The series is called "Advanced Generation" in Japan and "Ruby & Sapphire" in English. DP, BW, XY and SM would have the same initials on both languages.

To be fair isn't the 'Ruby & Sapphire' subtitle sort of a new thing that TPCi came up with in recent years when they made the AG episodes available on streaming platforms? Because I followed the AG dub closely from 2003 through 2007 and I never heard of it referred to as the 'Ruby & Sapphire' series back then.

SS has also been used as an abbreviation of SoulSilver for years with no complaints.

While that is true, I imagine that being paired with HeartGold to make HG/SS made it much less problematic by comparison. I remember people wondering how to shorten Sword/Shield when they were initially announced due to what SS could also stand for, which is one reason why most fans tend to shorten them as SWSH.

In retrospect, it's kind of weird that 4Kids didn't give AG a more proper subtitle. Granted, that didn't really start until DP when TPCI had full control and adding in Pokemon the Series is also kind of strange, but giving AG the Ruby and Sapphire title years later is a bit odd. They wanted to make it clear what games the series was promoting, but they spend the last chuck of AG in Kanto and most dub fans I've seen tend to refer to AG as the Advanced seasons.

"Journey" is a poor way to describe a series that is about taking short tours.

Why is "Pokemon" a bad title, again? Why is that fine for Japan but not the rest of the world? Are people seriously going to get it confused with the original series?

Not really since "journey" isn't typically referred to "Travel" but refers more towards the growth and development along the way. In other words the Destination might be Florida from California, but the journey is about what you did in Texas along the way.

"It's not the destination it's the journey"

Doesn't refer to act of traveling to another location but rather the entire context that it takes to get to that destination.

The destination for Go being catching all Pokemon/Mew with Ash battling against Leon. Journey would be referring to how they got there.

A Pokemon journey has a very specific meaning. What you're talking about is called a quest in Pokemon terms, which I admit would be a nice title (ignoring the spin-off game hardly anyone remembers).

Why is "Pokemon" a bad title, again? Why is that fine for Japan but not the rest of the world? Are people seriously going to get it confused with the original series?

I think it's mainly just for marketing purposes. Having different titles and subtitles help to make each season stand out a bit more than if it was all still just called Pokemon. Although, I agree that Pokemon Quest would have a better ring to it than Pokemon Journey does by comparison. I wouldn't mind that title if that is what the English dub is going for, but Pokemon Quest wouldn't sound as generic.

"Pokemon Journey" sounds lame and something that a Third-Grader would come up with. They could just revamp the Series like they did with the XY Dub and make it just plain "Pokemon The Series"

I agree. I actually like the name idea that was passed around a few weeks ago which I think was Pokemon: World Tour.

It sounds better than Pokemon Journey to me.

To this day I don't understand WHY the people/staff at Bulbapedia decided (out of stubbornness and arrogance I think) to name the series "SS", this series is NOT based and never was on the Sword and Shield games or the Galar region, they messed up big time. This series is called "Pocket Monsters 2019" or "Pocket Monsters" or "Pokemon Journey" now, it was a dumb decission imo and they had time to correct their mistake, whatever.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom