• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S24 EP09: Memories of a Warming Kindness!

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
The episode is available on the iTunes Store in Australia. Please keep future events in spoiler tags.

Cast -

Sarah Natochenny - Ash Ketchum
Zeno Robinson - Goh
Michele Knotz
Cherami Leigh - Chloe
Rodger Parsons - Narrator
Ray Chase - Professor Cerise
Casey Mongillo - Chrysa
Tara Jayne Sands - Yamper

Additional Voices -

Jason Griffith
Megan Hollingshead - Chrysa's Mother
Billy Kametz - Ren
Erica Mendez - Parker
Lisa Ortiz - Talia
Erica Schroeder - Eevee/Goh's Rotom Phone
Billy Bob Thompson - Psyduck Trainer
Marc Thompson

Last edited:
The episode is available on the iTunes Store in Australia. Please keep future events in spoiler tags.

Cast -

Sarah Natochenny - Ash Ketchum
Zeno Robinson - Goh
Michele Knotz
Cherami Leigh - Chloe
Rodger Parsons - Narrator
Ray Chase - Professor Cerise
Casey Mongillo - Chrysa
Tara Jayne Sands - Yamper

Additional Voices -

Jason Griffith
Megan Hollingshead - Chrysa's Mother
Billy Kametz - Ren
Erica Mendez - Parker
Lisa Ortiz - Talia
Erica Schroeder - Eevee/Goh's Rotom Phone
Billy Bob Thompson - Psyduck Trainer
Marc Thompson
It's awesome to see Megan Hollingshead getting a new role, with her voicing Chrysa's mother! One can only hope Chrysa's mother will make an in person appearance eventually.

It's awesome to see Megan Hollingshead getting a new role, with her voicing Chrysa's mother! One can only hope Chrysa's mother will make an in person appearance eventually.
Agreed, Hollingshead's return to the anime has been great, especially with her returning to Nurse Joy as well as voicing Morpeko, would love to see Cassidy return and see her voice Cassidy again

Agreed, Hollingshead's return to the anime has been great, especially with her returning to Nurse Joy as well as voicing Morpeko, would love to see Cassidy return and see her voice Cassidy again
By the way, wasn't there a rule that a pre-switch voice actor couldn't reprise its role if the replacement was still part of the cast? If so, why didn't Michele Knotz reprise her role as Nurse Joy in Season 23? Maybe because Megan Hollingshead wasn't in the show anymore when the switch happened?

By the way, wasn't there a rule that a pre-switch voice actor couldn't reprise its role if the replacement was still part of the cast? If so, why didn't Michele Knotz reprise her role as Nurse Joy in Season 23? Maybe because Megan Hollingshead wasn't in the show anymore when the switch happened?
Hollingshead left early Season 7, the switch happened at the end of Season 8

Michelle Knotz hasn't reprised her role as the "classic" Nurse Joy since M20 if I'm not mistaken.

It appears Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld took over the role for M21 and M22. It looks as of recently, there hasn't been much consistency when it comes to the English dub voice of nurse Joy. So I'm not surprised that Megan Hollingshead was able to voice her again.

I just wonder why Michele Knotz stopped voicing her, since she's still very much involved with the Pokemon anime.

Michelle Knotz hasn't reprised her role as the "classic" Nurse Joy since M20 if I'm not mistaken.

It appears Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld took over the role for M21 and M22. It looks as of recently, there hasn't been much consistency when it comes to the English dub voice of nurse Joy. So I'm not surprised that Megan Hollingshead was able to voice her again.

I just wonder why Michele Knotz stopped voicing her, since she's still very much involved with the Pokemon anime.
Rosenfeld likely voiced Nurse Joy in the English dubs of M21 and M22 because Chika Fujimura voiced her in Japanese, and the two previously shared the role of the Unova Nurse Joy. In M20, Shoko Nakagawa voiced her in Japanese, and since Nakagawa only ever voiced her in that movie they presumably defaulted to Knotz because she was (at the time) the only English voice of the pre-Unova Nurse Joys after 4Kids stopped dubbing the series.

In Journeys, Kei Shindo became the Japanese voice for Nurse Joy in all regions, a role Shindo never had before to my knowledge. My theory is that Hollingshead was allowed to return to the role in the English dub precisely because of this voice actor change in Japanese.

So yeah, all of this can be chalked up to quirks in how Nurse Joy is cast in Japanese. (Although there is another Pokémon role Michele Knotz was replaced in that doesn't have as clear-cut a reasoning. Can anyone guess what it is?)

I think among the issue is that voice actors are set in different places. Like if you are familiar with Anime Dubbing you have mostly Texan VA's for stuff like One Piece and Dragon Ball, California for stuff like Sword Art and Code Geass, Vancouver for stuff like Death Note and Innuyasha, and New York for 4Kids.

Dub actors can and have moved, and going to different places is more common now, but that is a limiting factor.

Shoutouts to "miso" being actually localized as "miso ramen" for the English dub. This episode had a lot of Japanese elements in it so it's a good point of comparison against the episodes from the late '90s.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom