• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S24 EP11: When a House is Not a Home!

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
The episode is available on the iTunes Store in Australia. Please keep future events in spoiler tags.

Also the opening scene is changed so that the Rillaboom's just speak their regular Pokémon language. With Camille's VA being black (Amber May), I think it would have been a bit too bizarre and kinda racist seeing her cast like that, so good move on Lisa's part for not doing that.

Cast -

Sarah Natochenny - Ash Ketchum
Zeno Robinson - Goh
James Carter Cathcart - James/Meowth
Michele Knotz - Jessie
Cherami Leigh - Chloe
Rodger Parsons - Narrator
Ray Chase - Professor Cerise
Casey Mongillo - Chrysa
Tara Jayne Sands - Yamper

Additional Voices -

Sam Black
Megan Hollingshead
Laurie Hymes - Pelipper
Billy Kametz - Ren
Erica Schroeder - Wobbuffet/Eevee/Goh's Rotom Phone
Marc Thompson

Last edited:
I remember people being worried about the way the dub would have handled the episode. At the end they didn't cut the opening sequence, which wasn't to be taken for granted. Also, this is one of the very few episodes I saw in japanese, since it was temporarily available on the official Corocoro channel without being region-restricted.

A small bit of censorship in this episode with the whole Rillaboom dream sequence but one that is absolutely justified because in the original it was a bit... problematic having Goh's parents (who are dark skinned) be portrayed as gorillas, probably not intended to be racist but definitely came across like that and even the japanese original had backlash for this. So this is a good change and the way they changed it works, without having to cut out any footage or even ban the episode (the latter was always unlikely since this is an important episode)

A small bit of censorship in this episode with the whole Rillaboom dream sequence but one that is absolutely justified because in the original it was a bit... problematic having Goh's parents (who are dark skinned) be portrayed as gorillas, probably not intended to be racist but definitely came across like that and even the japanese original had backlash for this. So this is a good change and the way they changed it works, without having to cut out any footage or even ban the episode (the latter was always unlikely since this is an important episode)
Yeah, I liked how they handled the Rillaboom scene. It's a nice compromise that keeps the intended absurdity while avoiding any harmful stereotypes.
What exactly was changed?

The Rillaboom don't talk in Goh's parents' voices. They instead say syllables of their species name and sound like you'd expect "normal" Rillaboom to sound.

And yes, it should already be on the Bulbapedia page.
Thanks for the info. Yeah. Probably made with what happened with the Passimian episode in mind.

This censorship is really half-assed. By making Goh's parents into regular Pokemon, it completely removes the context of Grookey being Goh's little brother (unless the ep addresses it later). They could've had the animators do some editing to work around that scene if not cut it completely.

This censorship is really half-assed. By making Goh's parents into regular Pokemon, it completely removes the context of Grookey being Goh's little brother (unless the ep addresses it later). They could've had the animators do some editing to work around that scene if not cut it completely.
The censorship in the Pokémon anime has tended to be pretty half-assed since at least SM. Just look at all the edits they did to censor Meowth's "deaths".

I don't remember there being the context of that, maybe you read into subtext? Which I can get. But I think this was the best way of handling it, and removing the scenes would've made the episode make pretty much no sense.

I don't remember there being the context of that, maybe you read into subtext? Which I can get. But I think this was the best way of handling it, and removing the scenes would've made the episode make pretty much no sense.
Originally, the Rillaboom in the dream that had the voice of Goh's mother said something like "take care of your little brother" before Goh looked down and saw Grookey. But seeing as it was still a dream and Goh obviously isn't biologically related to Grookey in any way, it could have easily just been the punchline to the original "joke" rather than serious commentary on their relationship.

Though I do wonder, could that be taken as proof that Goh's Grookey is male?

Originally, the Rillaboom in the dream that had the voice of Goh's mother said something like "take care of your little brother" before Goh looked down and saw Grookey. But seeing as it was still a dream and Goh obviously isn't biologically related to Grookey in any way, it could have easily just been the punchline to the original "joke" rather than serious commentary on their relationship.

Though I do wonder, could that be taken as proof that Goh's Grookey is male?
Oh huh, I don't remember that from the original! but yeah you might be right.

And that's a good point, though bulbapedia lists it's gender as unknown. I guess for gender to be listed it has to be flat out confirmed rather than an implication.

Without human voices, Goh's reaction was way over the top. It's pokémon world, it's not shocking to see pokémon in your home. Not to mention this way the dream is more random. Can't they just give them Chrysa and Ren's voices instead?

Without human voices, Goh's reaction was way over the top. It's pokémon world, it's not shocking to see pokémon in your home. Not to mention this way the dream is more random. Can't they just give them Chrysa and Ren's voices instead?
well I think it'd be scary seeing some random big Pokemon just suddenly appearing in your house.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom