• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S24 EP20: Advice to Goh!

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
The episode has aired on Teletoon in Canada. Please keep future events in spoiler tags.

I read the title and thought this was an advice thread for Goh.

Is this episode about Goh sending a letter to an advice column a la Ask Arizona (my knowledge of that stuff is limited to American Girl and Highlights magazines).

Dear Alder,
I want to join the speech and debate club, but I have dance club at the same time as speech and debate! What should I do?
Indecisive in Indigo

Cast:

Sarah Natochenny - Ash Ketchum
Zeno Robinson - Goh
James Carter Cathcart - Professor Oak/Gary/Ash's Muk
Michele Knotz
Cherami Leigh - Grookey
Rodger Parsons - Narrator
Casey Mongillo - Cinderace

Additional Voices:

Billy Kametz
Anajali Kunapaneni
Lisa Ortiz
Bill Rogers - Electivire/Infernape
Erica Schroeder
Billy Bob Thompson - Blastoise
Marc Thompson - Pignite

Anajali Kunapaneni is new to the cast, and Carter Cathcart reprises his role of Gary after last voicing him over 11 years ago.

That's a rather short list, guessing not all of Ash's Pokemon that appeared spoke?

Quilava for example
It's not really that surprising to me. The voice talent pool for Pokémon creatures in the older days was much smaller than it is nowadays.

A huge chunk of them were – and still are – Bill Rogers, James Carter Cathcart, Michele Knotz and Marc Thompson.

Even in the 4Kids era, you had Eric Stuart, Michael Haigney, Rachael Lillis and Kayzie Rogers doing most of the work for the Pokémon themselves, even though there was a lot more variety for the human characters.

Quilava is Bill Rogers, by the way. The biggest exclusion I could find was Alex Haynes as Talonflame but I don't remember if it had any distinct lines in this episode.

Saw a clip of Gary speaking in the dub. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the clip itself, but here are my thoughts:

Gary's dub voice is mostly how I remember it with its signature nasal tone, but it still sounded a bit... off. It felt a little more like the voice Carter Cathcart uses for Professor Oak, and I get that it's the same VA and Gary is Oak's grandson and all, but he sounded almost too similar. I didn't remember having this problem with his appearances in AG's finale and DP, so I'm not sure if he forgot how to do the Gary voice after so long or he's struggling to do it with age or what. Don't get me wrong: I still think he deserved to reprise the role since it was his from the beginning of the dub, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't annoy me somewhat.

Also, it's kinda weird seeing Gary's personality and dialogue translated so faithfully in the dub, where he's more of the passive-aggressive type as opposed to the 4Kids days, where his insults and haughtiness were a lot more over-the-top. It reminds me of how in SM they kept all of Misty's talk about "beauty" and "steadies" that 4Kids always toned down. To be clear, I don't think reverting either of those changes is a bad thing and I appreciate the dub making efforts to be more faithful, but with Gary in particular it's still jarring because it's largely the same sneering nasally voice from the old days that was seemingly supposed to complement the more punchy dub script.

It was nice to hear Gary having a speaking role again on the English dub after more than a decade. Especially since he's one of the few 4Kids era characters that still retained it's original VA.

As far as the voice itself, as someone else had mentioned.. he sounds pretty much the same as he did in the past. Although, there were some instances where he did sound like "OG Gary voice with a hint of Professor Oak." It wasn't as jarring as hearing Misty for the first time in years in SM42.

As far as the episode itself, I may not be a big fan of Pokemon Journeys. But I do appreciate the fact that they are reintroducing old characters this series and pretty much providing some continuity to Ash's overall journey.

So Carter Cathartic doesn't really do any other VA roles for other companies correct? Is it because of the VA switch fiasco? Lisa Ortiz will do an odd role here or there for another company.

So Carter Cathartic doesn't really do any other VA roles for other companies correct? Is it because of the VA switch fiasco? Lisa Ortiz will do an odd role here or there for another company.
From what I can tell he was blacklisted from 4Kids after the voice actor switch - a lot of his roles in 4Kids' other series (Yugioh and Sonic among them) went to different actors.

Given how involved he is with Pokemon (given that he's also head script writer), it's probably enough work for him that he doesn't really need other gigs.

From what I can tell he was blacklisted from 4Kids after the voice actor switch - a lot of his roles in 4Kids' other series (Yugioh and Sonic among them) went to different actors.

Given how involved he is with Pokemon (given that he's also head script writer), it's probably enough work for him that he doesn't really need other gigs.
Wasn't he also a script writer for Pokemon during the 4kids days? It doesn't make sense to me how people say TPCi scripts differenly than 4kids did.

This is true, as far as I know. Apparently even 4Kids' successor, Konami Cross Media wouldn't let him reprise Weevil and Lumis in Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links due to this, so it seems like he completely burned bridges when he made the jump.

I believe the only non Pokémon dub he's been in was the Aria series that Headline Studios did for Nozomi. Other than that it's been Pokémon only in terms of his recent resume.

He did not come back for the slayers seasons Funimation did a few years back and he probably isn't in Shaman King 2021, but he does alot of different things for the current production of the pokemon dub like another poster did say I guess.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom