• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S24: Pokémon Master Journeys: The Series - Dub Title Thread

Netflix has been in the news quite a bit recently (none of it positively, as others here have pointed out) but the piece that really caught my attention was how they've absolutely decimated their animation department over the past few days. I know Pokémon isn't an in house series for them (though they do love to tout it as a "Netflix Original" which is ridiculous), but it still makes me wonder how it might affect the series in the future. Netflix already hasn't been treating Pokémon well, and looking at how they've treated their own animation department and series, it's pretty clear they view animated series at the bottom of their totem pole.
There are still quite a few other Japanese animated series that Netflix currently has the rights to; probably the biggest one being the current season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Stone Ocean). But interestingly, that series is treated as an actual "Netflix Original" even in Japan, where the episodes premiere worldwide on the service before airing on Japanese TV (but outside of Japan it seems to be completely exclusive to Netflix). I'm not sure if that's better or worse than what we have with Pokémon.

Netflix being just the distributor and not the producer (which will continue happening unless TvTokyo retires its support) and it lacking the English language exclusivity means that they have relatively low expectations about the show, and I'm positive they are at least fulfilled. Even if they drop the series the dub will continue existing as long as someone is interested on it, and it's certain TPCI has full control of the English dub and many international dubs, so worst case scenario it will become a Pokemon TV exclusive.

I think TPCi deserves the blame too for all these weird decisions. They know information ahead of time and help on the marketing so it's clear they participate in them.

so worst case scenario it will become a Pokemon TV exclusive.
If that's a possible scenario, we can bring back this thread as well "Why doesn't TPCI upload the English dub episodes to YouTube?"

Interestingly, a reply said back then
As Dogasu pointed out, there are many people who either have dial-up Internet or no Internet at all for various reasons, so making the show online exclusive would be a step backwards and potentially lose more of its audience
At the end they actually made it online exclusive, at least in the US.

Netflix being just the distributor and not the producer (which will continue happening unless TvTokyo retires its support) and it lacking the English language exclusivity means that they have relatively low expectations about the show, and I'm positive they are at least fulfilled. Even if they drop the series the dub will continue existing as long as someone is interested on it, and it's certain TPCI has full control of the English dub and many international dubs, so worst case scenario it will become a Pokemon TV exclusive.
Given that they still made the most recent movie an Netflix exclusive release, even after they slowed down the release schedule for Journeys, I imagine that Netflix is probably okay with how the anime is performing for them too. I think that Pokemon TV would need to be reworked in order to make that a viable way to release the dub, but that is possible. Personally, I'd prefer for Netflix to just handle the series better instead of moving to another platform. Despite all of the backlash towards Netflix, I still think that they could improve as a whole and in regard to how they handle the anime. If they had stuck to a consistent release schedule instead of making the gap needlessly long, I think people would have been more okay with Netflix releasing the dub. If they could just shorten the gap and then either continue to release batches of episodes consistently or release episodes weekly, then I think it would be fine.

I think TPCi deserves the blame too for all these weird decisions. They know information ahead of time and help on the marketing so it's clear they participate in them.
I'm not sure if they'd have any control as to when Netflix decides to release the episodes. I'm sure that they're involved in the discussions, but I assume that the decision on when to release them ultimately falls on Netflix. That being said, TPCI could still at least promote the series more and try to create some hype when new batches come out. They could really use their YouTube channel for more than random clips or official episodes too.

If that's a possible scenario, we can bring back this thread as well "Why doesn't TPCI upload the English dub episodes to YouTube?"

Interestingly, a reply said back then

At the end they actually made it online exclusive, at least in the US.
To be fair, that post was from 2015. The TV landscape had changed pretty noticeably between 2015 and 2020. Streaming had become more mainstream, more streaming services have been created since then and traditional cable is far less prominent. Even if Netflix doesn't continue premiering future series, I don't expect Pokemon to go back on traditional TV. Not because the dub itself, but because I don't think any kids channel would be interested in airing a third party show nowadays.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom