• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S25 EP39: The Mew from Here!

Well, Cathcart apparently has throat cancer, do his performance could be the result of this.
And while that is terrible news indeed (hope he recovers, BTW :cry:,) my issues with his voicing not just Professor Oak and Gary, but also James and Meowth too, go back about 15 years or so. They never should have had the same person voice two semi-recurring characters who were usually on-screen at the same time, and two major characters who were in just about every single episode, also usually at the same time. I don't blame him, though. I blame the Pokemon Company for being a bunch of cheap tightwads back in 2006, and even now in 2023. I never really did forgive them for the voice switch back in '06, I've held a grudge about that for years.

And while that is terrible news indeed (hope he recovers, BTW :cry:,) my issues with his voicing not just Professor Oak and Gary, but also James and Meowth too, go back about 15 years or so. They never should have had the same person voice two semi-recurring characters who were usually on-screen at the same time, and two major characters who were in just about every single episode, also usually at the same time. I don't blame him, though. I blame the Pokemon Company for being a bunch of cheap tightwads back in 2006, and even now in 2023. I never really did forgive them for the voice switch back in '06, I've held a grudge about that for years.
I actually don't mind that he voices both James and Meowth as I think his voices for both of them are quite distinct and in fact Meowth is his fave, he very much wanted to voice Meowth around the time the cast change was happening and ultimately did get the role.

Am I correct in thinking that this is the first main episode in which Sarah Natochenny isn't credited? as in the previous episodes where Ash didn't physically appear she was still credited due to her voicing some Pokemon in those episodes.

Well, Cathcart apparently has throat cancer, do his performance could be the result of this.

Putting aside the whole 2006 recast controversy, I really wish him well and I hope he fully recovers.

I am very curious to know if he will be able to voice all his characters in the 11 episode special. A lot of characters (human and pokemon) that he has voiced are set to appear, and I know that can be overwhelming to someone dealing with health issues.

I guess only time will tell.

Putting aside the whole 2006 recast controversy, I really wish him well and I hope he fully recovers.

I am very curious to know if he will be able to voice all his characters in the 11 episode special. A lot of characters (human and pokemon) that he has voiced are set to appear, and I know that can be overwhelming to someone dealing with health issues.

I guess only time will tell.
He could still. They usually record their episodes months in advance. So for all we know, he's probably done or not cuz he's also the script adapter and that takes time too. Hoping he pulls through.

Am I correct in thinking that this is the first main episode in which Sarah Natochenny isn't credited? as in the previous episodes where Ash didn't physically appear she was still credited due to her voicing some Pokemon in those episodes.
This is indeed the first time Sarah is nowhere to be seen.

No offense to James Carter Cathart, but I never, ever liked his Professor Oak voice. In fact, Stan Hart was one of the voice actors I missed the most when the voice switch happened. And if someone thought it was a good idea to have both Gary and his grandfather be voiced by the same person, well, it wasn't. James Carter Cathart was never able to
give enough difference between the two characters, in my opinion. (Same goes for Meowth and James too, I never cared for his versions of those two either. I'll forever miss Eric Stuart and Maddie Blaustein's as the voices of James and Meowth. RIP to the latter. :cry:)
It's disappointing that oak continued to sound stereotypical old person, Meowth sounding like a troll, and James sounding like has a cold still.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom