• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S25 EP46: Bearing Down Easy!

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
Episode 4 of the Aim to be a Pokémon Master special where Ash helps out a Beartic has aired on Cartoon Network in Canada.

Please keep all spoilers in spoiler tags (not that there's much to spoil with this one).

Voice Characterizations -

Sarah Natochenny
Zeno Robinson
James Carter Cathcart
Michele Knotz
Rodger Parsons

Additional Voices -

Edward Bosco
Megan Hollingshead
Lisa Ortiz
H.D. Quinn (Tyler Bunch)
Bill Rogers
Erica Schroeder
Marc Thompson

I got the images of a fellow Bulbapedia

Original
vlcsnap-2023-06-03-13h09m05s445.png

Dub
vlcsnap-2023-06-03-13h10m06s255.png

Just going to leave this here, ladies and gentlemen, when TPCi is censoring things even 4Kids left alone in AGS3 in S8 and they themselves kept in DP S10 and DP S13...

Wow. Whose idea was it to censor this? Why? I guarantee you no one was offended by this prior, TPCi, no one? The Pokemon dub left this alone/intact in 2006 (4Kids, Season 8/Advanced Battle), 2008 (TPCi, Season 10/Diamond & Pearl), and 2010 (TPCi, Season 13/Sinnoh League Victors) prior...???

Attachments

• AG115, 4kids S8.jpg
    AG115, 4kids S8.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 64
  • AG115 again TR, 4Kids dub S8.jpg
    AG115 again TR, 4Kids dub S8.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 62
  • s10 tpci.jpg
    s10 tpci.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 65
  • s13.jpg
    s13.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 71
Behold, the (almost) speculative...
Sarah Natochenny - Ash
Zeno Robinson - Talonflame
James Carter Cathcart - Snorlax:unsure: (archived), Spearow:unsure: (archived)
Michele Knotz - Misty, Oddish, Seedot
Rodger Parsons - Narrator

Edward Bosco - Snorlax:unsure: (most lines)
Megan Hollingshead - Bellsprout:unsure:
Lisa Ortiz - Oshawott
H.D. Quinn - Incineroar
Bill Rogers - Brock, Beartic, Ursaring
Erica Schroeder - Teddiursa
Marc Thompson - Forretress:unsure:, Aipom (Charmander logic)

Behold, the (almost) speculative...
Sarah Natochenny - Ash
Zeno Robinson - Talonflame
James Carter Cathcart - Snorlax:unsure: (archived), Spearow:unsure: (archived)
Michele Knotz - Misty, Oddish, Seedot
Rodger Parsons - Narrator

Edward Bosco - Snorlax:unsure: (most lines)
Megan Hollingshead - Bellsprout:unsure:
Lisa Ortiz - Oshawott
H.D. Quinn - Incineroar
Bill Rogers - Brock, Beartic, Ursaring
Erica Schroeder - Teddiursa
Marc Thompson - Forretress:unsure:, Aipom (Charmander logic)
Here, check out this link, courtesy of Pkmndub:

https://pocketmonsters.net/episodes/viewep/2932/VA

Last edited:
The frozen ash edit is so dumb. It makes me worried horizons won't have more dynamic scenes if something simple like frozen ash can't be broadcast internationally.

Last edited:
Just letting you know that my weekly to-do is (1) watch first the new episode, (2) compare with original Japanese, (3) research Bulbapedia and a few Bulbagarden Forum threads, (4) post in proper episode thread, then (5) check corresponding episode entry at PocketMonsters.net.
Speaking of which, clicked the link and most of the speculaa-t-s do match; should have put another :unsure: at "Bill on Beartic", given the Gurdurr logic.

@PokeMasterLA I'm pretty sure it's stock audio of JCC's Snorlax they're using.

@Carltonus I think there's good reason to suspect either it's Leddy or Callagy that could be "nu" TPCi dub James, he's not in the credits this episode w/o JJM-- but we'll see, nothing confirmed yet.

Just letting you know that my weekly to-do is (1) watch first the new episode, (2) compare with original Japanese, (3) research Bulbapedia and a few Bulbagarden Forum threads, (4) post in proper episode thread, then (5) check corresponding episode entry at PocketMonsters.net.
Speaking of which, clicked the link and most of the speculaa-t-s do match; should have put another :unsure: at "Bill on Beartic", given the Gurdurr logic.
Oops. Sorry about that then.

Leddy was not credited in this episode, so that rules him out, alongside Callagy.
To answer your question in the other thread, NDAs make it so voice actors cannot reveal who they play until USA release. This will not be officially revealed until Netflix release.

Due to the unprecedented nature, PM has not been speculating on James/Meowth/Oak. We also do not guess Pokemon voices due to it being harder to identify.

Hope this helps...back to my deep slumber
Thank you very much for the clarification! It may well be Bosco, but we'll learn it when we learn it!

Thank you very much for the clarification! It may well be Bosco, but we'll learn it when we learn it!
You think it will be a "big" reveal when the batch drops in the US? I guess the new VA for JCCs character will be the ones for the foreseeable future for anytime James,Meowth and oak reappear after MPM.(yes those characters will probably be in other shows as cameos in the future, let's not kid ourselves.)

You think it will be a "big" reveal when the batch drops in the US? I guess the new VA for JCCs character will be the ones for the foreseeable future for anytime James,Meowth and oak reappear after MPM.(yes those characters will probably be in other shows as cameos in the future, let's not kid ourselves.)
Nothing “big” but it’ll be interesting.

Probably, looks like whoever does Meowth now can’t decide whether to go with a JCC impression or do his own thing so far, same with James, kind of fluctuating. Oak is 100% someone just imitating that performance, otoh. (Obviously, but I’m hoping the new Series mostly stays with the new characters, so far it’s doing that)

I encourage you to check the site before you make these. [A]re you comparing with the JP version?
"Checking the site" would defeat the purpose of me (and probably others like @BulbaTCG) posting the speculaa-t-s here on the forums; wasn't aware of that site until a fellow user linked me there after a seemingly break-in-tradition at #114. Yes, but can make room for a few mistakes during rushed times... worry not about "face value" since any unsures have that smiley stuck on my list.

As for the rest of the reply, have been aware since reading the corresponding episode thread on Iris's Master Journeys return; sure, can join in holding off the James/Meowth VA cookie until the last episode.

This is real??? Why is the Pokémon dub like this? There is zero reason to be censoring things like this in anime, let alone in 2023. So archaic.
Twitter is blowing up over it, apparently we learned from @PokeFanForever1 this is also in the Taiwanese dub.

I remember when TPCi said this type of censorship would no longer be done after 4Kids departed and…still happening in 2023, pre-censored for them by OLM either because they requested it, or Asia/Taiwan did, etc. sighs

Ash being frozen went uncensored even under 4Kids and TPCi in DP, just wow.

I got the images of a fellow Bulbapedia

Original

Dub
We've now gotten to the point that a scene of Ash being frozen by an Ice-type attack is now considered too inappropriate for non-Japanese audiences? The 4Kids-level censorship we've had since SM has hit another new low. I'd really be wanting to hear what the reason for this one is and what made it inappropriate in the first place.

I mean, we've had many instances in earlier series of Ash or another human getting frozen, yet those scenes were left uncensored?

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom