• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Saddest episodes?

L-05308

Reaction score
Point and blank, which episodes have ever made you draw a tear?

Episodes where Pokemon are released usually get me, as a kid I sobbed my heart out after Bye Bye Butterfree as my mother tried to convince me we'd see it again...¬¬

The episodes where Arbok and Weezing, Cacnea, Chimecho and Dustox left have esspesually made me cry but I still get teary when Amdipom chooses ping pong and Piplup crys in Pikachu's arms.

So what episodes make you cry?

Last edited:
As a kid, Bye Bye Butterfree and Pikachu's Goodbye were like, the most traumatic of my childhood television experiences. Especially when "Tears After Cloudy Weather" starts playing and the flashbacks IT'S OVER

Goodbye Dokucale. :'( My heart breaks every time I watch it.

The episode where Ash got his butt kick by Drew, Paul (Full Battle ) and Trip.
Those are the saddest cause Those episode ruin the rest of the Series for me !

As a kid, Bye Bye Butterfree and Pikachu's Goodbye were like, the most traumatic of my childhood television experiences. Especially when "Tears After Cloudy Weather" starts playing and the flashbacks IT'S OVER

And I just reviewed Pikachu's Goodbye in my blog. It would've been even sadder if Pika hadn't decided to stick with Ash.

Charizard being left behind at that valley of charizards (due to ash wanting it to get stronger I think), and also the one pikachu ALMOST left but decided to come back with Ash .Both made me teary eyed.

Pikachu's Goodbye made me a bit teary-eyed, the farewell episodes usually do. Ignorance is Blissey was pretty......downhearted, I guess, as well?

Pikachu's Goodbye made me cry as a kid. Thinking about it now, though, it's not as sad. I always thought that Ignorance Is Blissey was sad. I mean, I think that one is more sad than the Pikachu one because Jessie had to keep acting like she didn't care for the Blissey...

Team Rocket have some of the saddest episodes.

Crossing Paths/Goodbye, Dokucale! was absolutely amazing. The way Jessie of all people broke down and cried, the love she showed for Dustox, the bug's heart-wrenching cries.

Tears For Fears! sure has an appropriate name, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Poor Chimchar had suffered terrible abuse during his time as Paul's trainer, and his confusion and fear of coming to terms with his new and much happier family was heart-breaking to watch. It made the final Ash vs Paul showdown all the more satisfying, however.

I still cry watching Bye, Bye, Butterfree. I think that episode was a stupid move...Also, Sweet Baby James, due to Chimecho's departure(but gaining Mime Jr.) was a sad day for me...

In addition to Tears for Fears, Glory Blaze was also a sad episode for Chimchar, after the intense training it went through with Paul and then being forced into a battle - with a Zangoose of all Pokemon being one of its opponents - when it wasn't even at full strength so it could hopefully master Blaze. Just thinking about has almost shed a tear to my eyes before.

Best Wishes number one that shit was terri- ooh you mean sorrow and angst not panthetic.

Well I'd go with the one's mention above but also the last two episodes of the indigo league.
While getting to the top 16 is great there are a lot of things that kept it from being happy. Ash is afraid of missing his match or losing his pokemon and after he beats team rocket he shows up hella late only to give a pathetic entertainment devoid match to the audience that payed good money. He is reminded of Charizard's power over him and his own weakness. Misty and Oak berate him and then when he stops feeling angry about losing he feels embarrassment for being angry. It's just sad.

Definitely Bye Bye Butterfree and Pikachu's Goodbye. I was bawling my eyes out! I think that Crossing Paths was quite sad, as well.

So many episodes to chose from...
...when the characterless butterfly left for sex.
or when the moth left for sex, but in a much, much MUCH more emotional way?
Maybe when the villian's little bell-pokémon got sick for no reason only to never recover and getting replaced by something more marketable?
Or was it when Haruka's brother promised something he couldn't keep because he's stuck in an eternal aging-preventing universe?

I think the last two examples are my favourite sad episodes.

Time-warp heels all wounds makes me cry because its sad, but then I cry because it is really happy.
May/Swablu and Max/Ralts made me cry. still do.
Charmander the Stry Pokemon gets preety emotional, and the one where Bulbasaur is almost crushed at Oaks

Im not really type of person which can easily cry,but i have to admit how some episodes got me teary like:

"Bye Bye Butterfre"-it was sad to see Ash parting of with it after having it for so short. Butterfree finding his mate and courage he showed to be with her was admiring and touching to see. Even though goodbye scene was heart breaking i was glad that butterfly found happiness in his life.

"A Poached Ego"-i need to say that i always loved Weezing and Arbok. They were TR signature pokemon back in day and even though they werent especially strong,you could tell they were attached to Jessie and James having lot of loyalty to their trainers. Having them depart after passing so much with their partners to protect wild Ekans and Koffing from hunters like Ryko was very moving. Especially sad scene was when TR was beat to heath by Tyranitar to buy time for their pokemon to escape,and music which played was doleful. To this day i hope we will see them at least once again.

"A Togepi Mirage"-yes im sucker for goodbye episodes. You may not like Togepi, but it was hard to stay indifferent to departure with Misty and Togetic having to split up after so much time they spent together. Their relationship was like mother-son and Misty and baby pokemon clearly showed how attached they became to each other, with lot of care being out into his growth. Whole ending scene when Misty and her partner burst into tears was truly sad,and even though it was hard to her to let it go she understood how he belongs to be with his friends and protect them.

"Gotta Catch Ya Later"-probably one of most heart moving episodes which pokemon had. Whole episode was filled with emotions and sad atmosphere which surrounded it, being sad to see Ash, Misty and Brock having to split up after so many adventures they spent together being very close and supportive as friends. Especially touching part was when Misty was forced to go back to gym not wanting to leave group being on verge of tears and when Goodbye song started to play i admit i got teary.

It was also disappointing that this was Misty last episode as main character, because she was great character leaving imo prematurely having untapped potential to do much more with her.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom