• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Saddest episodes?

Definitely Bye Bye Butterfree and Pikachu's Goodbye! D; I used to like Butterfree so much too! Which probably made it even sadder. :[

Episodes that really got to me and made me teary would have to be Pikachu's goodbye because I really loved Pikachu as a kid, sweet baby James due to how hard it was for James to leave chimecho when it was ill, the episode where james released cacnea has never failed to make me cry no matter how many times I watched because the decision James had to make was so hard for him, Crossing Paths gets to me mainly when I see jessies past and her running after the bus after that guy, the episode when gliscor was released had me crying for quite a while afterwards since I loved Gliscor that much and the final DP episode when they all saying goodbye since the way Piplup acted actually got me emotional especially when it hugged Pikachu and Pikachu started up.;_;

For me, it's definitely Gotta Catch Ya Later. It's made even more depressing by the fact that Misty was almost entirely written out of the series in this episode.
Genuinely shed a few tears over this one.

Charizard's Burning Ambition is also pretty moving, especially when Team Rocket pitch in to help keep Charizard awake. Charizard is an iconic Pokemon in Ash's repertoire. Not only for it's untameable nature but also for its reputation as being Ash's only powerhouse besides Snorlax. A lot of Ash's Pokemon have rather under-developed personalities and get blanked a bit but Charizard was pretty recognisable from the moment it became Charmeleon.

Pikachu's Goodbye is a standard heartbreaker. Don't think I really need to say why.

The final D/P episode also makes me feel a bit sad too, as for some reason the AG ending episode didn't really feel like much of a goodbye to me, but the final D/P episode really felt like the end of an era to me. The Japanese title of "Memories are Pearls, Friendship is a Diamond!" also really felt like an encompassing title to me, like it summed up the entire saga.

I personally thought "Just Waiting on a Friend" was the saddest episode.

That poor Ninetales waited for its master for hundreds of years, only to be reminded he is long dead after trying to take Brock as her master.

Hmm.. A sad episode that made me cry? I'd have to say the special episode- "The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon". Why? Becase that's the first episode they used the terrible new voice actors in. That, without fail, will always be the saddest episode

Last edited:
Charizard's Burning Ambition- It was really sad to see such an amazing Pokemon leave and in that manner too.

Bulbasaur the Ambassador- Oh man the events before that clip show...they really had me fooled there.

Gotta Catch Ya Later!- A big move by the show, lots of memories.

Wow, I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Origin of Mewtwo deleted short. This sequence was deleted from the first film because it was considered too dark, complex and sad for a children's film.

Mewtwo, in my opinion, is the saddest character in the entire series, even to this very day. Mewtwo has been exploited, imprisoned, betrayed, isolated, ostracised, tortured and experimented on. He was created with the intention of being nothing more than a living object of destruction and has therefore been deprived of any human compassion his entire life. He is discontent and insecure about his identity and existence while constantly plagued by emotional torment and psychological trauma.

C1eu7.jpg

Yeup :bawl:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Memories are Made of Bliss!" was okay, Piplup crying and Dawn's tears in the ending scenes was touching.

But "Gotta Catch Ya Later" was one of the saddest episode.

Any episode that has these pieces of music, but I'll try to be specific:
Tears After The Cloudy Weather (I remember this playing in Bye Bye Butterfree the most. I was in tears when I first heard it)
Movie 1 BGM-Miracle Tears (Viva Las Lapras, When Ash released his Lapras. I reacted with happy tears rather then sad tears because it was a nice piece of music.)
1999-2001-M32 (Charizard's Burning Ambition, When Ash leaves Charizard to train)
Unreleased Movie 2 BGM-Misty's Flashback in Gotta Catch You Later (Japanese Version)
Movie 6 BGM-A Small Thing ~Lullaby~ (I mostly remember this playing when Ash says goodbye to Paul)

Tears After The Cloudy Weather (I remember this playing in Bye Bye Butterfree the most. I was in tears when I first heard it)
Movie 1 BGM-Miracle Tears (Viva Las Lapras, When Ash released his Lapras. I reacted with happy tears rather then sad tears because it was a nice piece of music.)
1999-2001-M32 (Charizard's Burning Ambition, When Ash leaves Charizard to train)
Unreleased Movie 2 BGM-Misty's Flashback in Gotta Catch You Later (Japanese Version)
Movie 6 BGM-A Small Thing ~Lullaby~ (I mostly remember this playing when Ash says goodbye to Paul)
Any episode? All of those pieces played in some normal episodes. For example, "Tears, After the Cloudy Weather" played at the beginning of Rougela's Christmas, which wasn't a sad episode at all.

Any episode? All of those pieces played in some normal episodes. For example, "Tears, After the Cloudy Weather" played at the beginning of Rougela's Christmas, which wasn't a sad episode at all.

Thank you, Mr. Smarty Pants.

Last edited:
Bye Bye Butterfree - I still cry every time I watch this episode, seeing Butterfree leave.

and

The Tag Team 3-episode arc in Sinnoh. Those extremely sad moments definitely sad to see. Chimchar was treated so horribly, it was tough and sad to watch.

Just watched...
The Underground Round Up (Togepi needing to leave his new friend Voltorb behind is really sad)
Pikachu's Goodbye (PIKACHUUUUUUUUUU! And the F**KING SAD MUSIC)
Do I hear a Ralts (Max leaving Ralts behind)
And ALMOST every Mystery Dungeon Games (except for the rescue team)

The episode when Pikachu is almost released, and when Jessie released Dustox. Those episodes made me really sad.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom