• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Salamence VS. Garchomp

Design-wise, I like Garchomp.
Battle-wise, I like Garchomp.

Cynthia has a Garchomp, even though I don't like Garchomp.

So my vote goes to Garchomp.

Uberchomp, because one Sword Dance is all it needs to fully wipe out your team. Sand Veil also makes it harder to hit when trying to stop its tracks.

Garchomp by far. Salamence is meh in appearance. Those wings are ugly too.

Who has the better design? Garchomp looks far more unique whilst Mence is just a dragon.
Who would win in a battle? Garchomp outspeeds and kos.
Who is more useful? In 5th gen Salamence because its abilities allow much more versatility but in gen 4 Garchomp by far. It was like "Bring him in, sub, 6-0".
Who do you like more? Garchomp because it used to be just so mindbogglingly good and looks very cool.

Who has the better design?
Garchomp, it looks so much like its pre-evolutions and reminds me a lot of a land shark. Its colors and fin design are much better than Salamence's overall design imo.

Who would win in a battle?
Garchomp, it has a better moveset, and during Sandstorms is a tough Pokemon to beat in battle with its high evasion and Attack.

Who is more useful?
Garchomp for both in-game and and Sandstorm teams. I used it a lot in run-throughs, more than Salamence.

Who do you like more?
Garchomp, all in all I like its line a lot and especially Garchomp itself.

Garchomp, hands down. Salamence is just blah. I've raised both but Garchomp has always been top dog... er... dragon for me and always makes it to final teams. You can't even get Bagon until after the 8th Gym in Hoenn, while you can get Gible much earlier (especially in Platinum, where you can get it right after Gardenia, the second Gym). Garchomp has a much cooler design and is more loyal to breed in terms of its evolutions. It also has a wicked movepool and more evenly distributed stats. Plus Rough Skin is much better than Intimidate or Moxie, as it's actually a threat to physical hitters like Salamence. Plus Garchomp's speed gives it an edge, allowing it to strike before Salamence can. And, of course, what kind of fan would I be without mentioning Cynthia's Garchomp, the Mon of Champion Mons. It's never lost a battle and packs a massive punch. It mowed down Paul effortlessly, remember, and he's no slouch. Salamence is just... meh.

So my vote goes to Garchomp.

Garchomp is a freaking landshark-dinosaur-dragon covered in spikes, while Salamence is a generic Western dragon. Mega Garchomp also is even more ridiculously badass, for having a ripped leather jacket, giant scythes for arms, and even more spikes, while Mega Salamence has the most hilariously bad design of any Mega in the franchise (when I fist saw it, my first thought was that it looked like a spaceship). Easily Garchomp.

Salamance easily wins for me as it's one of my overall favorite Pokemon

My preference is Garchomp. It looks ridiculously cool to me, whereas Salamence is pretty cool but just not as much. I also prefer Shelgon to its own evolution, while Gible already starts out cool then just gets more so both times it evolves. I use a Garchomp in Ultra Sun and it battles nicely. Plus, its Mega Evo is somewhat less odd than Salamence’s.

Interestingly enough, it actually took me a while for Garchomp to really grow on me. I suppose it's because I wasn't really a huge fan of the more ferocious-looking Dragons and I guess Garchomp's design was "meh" to me at first, but over time I grew to like it quite a bit.

Salamence on the other hand I think looked badass ever since it's introduction in Gen III! I think I've also raised one in Pokemon Colosseum so I've had a lot of memories with it, so I'm going with Salamence here.

Here is a very useful decision for choosing Salamence vs. Garchomp:

Q: Did the greatest champion (Cynthia) use this Pokémon in her team?
-> Yes:
Pick it
-> No: :v

They're both super cool though hehe

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom